Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Well, looking at your avatar and imagining your accent, I don't even care if you can read
I was more interested because I keep encountering men who claim to be avid readers, but who actually live in a strange universe where "bought a book once" = reading, and "I read a book last year" = reading a lot.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #17
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I read because I want to be left alone lol. I don't play any online games either. When my front door closes I pretty much tune out the world.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #18
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
@ CWN

Clearly guys with a far too low librarybido
Spoiler:
You seem to look at the wrong places.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #19
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I was more interested because I keep encountering men who claim to be avid readers, but who actually live in a strange universe where "bought a book once" = reading, and "I read a book last year" = reading a lot.
Ah yes, the difference between "I read a lot" and "I find reading so exotic and exhausting that I remember it for years after, so I think of myself as a reader because I'm someone who really notices when I'm reading."

I'm with Sherri Chasin Calvo:
“If you have never said "Excuse me" to a parking meter or bashed your shins on a fireplug, you are probably wasting too much valuable reading time.”
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
@ CWN

Clearly guys with a far too low librarybido
Spoiler:
You seem to look at the wrong places.
Bwahahaha! *gasp* Librarybido! Love it! Thank you for a desperately needed laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Ah yes, the difference between "I read a lot" and "I find reading so exotic and exhausting that I remember it for years after, so I think of myself as a reader because I'm someone who really notices when I'm reading."

I'm with Sherri Chasin Calvo:
“If you have never said "Excuse me" to a parking meter or bashed your shins on a fireplug, you are probably wasting too much valuable reading time.”
Exactly!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #21
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Got this off http://www.openbookmarks.org/

Quote:
Social Reading
Social reading is everything that surrounds the experience of reading electronic books (ebooks).

Traditional books, physical paper books, are fantastic. You can read them cover to cover, bookmark them, dogear them, write notes in the margin, underline your favourite passages, treasure them, keep them, and lend them to your friends.

Ebooks should let you do these things too—but sometimes they don't.

Ebooks should make sharing easier: the bookmarks that you make, your notes, your progress through a book. All these things and more can and should be done with ebooks. And in addition, you should be able to save, share, email and store your whole reading experience, and read along with friends, as in a reading group. This is social reading.

Even if you don't want to share—and you certainly don't have to—your reading experience should belong to you: you should own the books you buy, and your bookmarks, and you should be able to save them and take them with you and save them for the future, whatever happens, and whatever reading platform or application you use. This is social reading too.

Open Bookmarks has developed a checklist for social reading to help readers get the most out of social reading, and help publishers and developers make social reading easier, more personal, and more open. Find out more.

Some examples of Social Reading

You're reading an ebook. You find a bit you like, and you select the text and email it to a friend.
While reading an ebook on an ereader, you choose to send the reading data to a social reading service. The service records all your bookmarks so you can search and return to them later.
A teacher makes a number of annotations in an ebook. She exports them, sends them to her students, who import them into their own copies of the book.
You link your favourite ereader to a social reading service. Over time, the service creates a virtual bookshelf of all the books you've read.
You're reading a book on one device, but half-way through you switch to another ereader. Your position and bookmarks are automatically synchronised.
You decide to clear some space on your computer, and delete some ebooks—accidentally or not. Your reading experience, bookmarks and annotations are archived separately, and are safe.
I'm guessing this is what is meant by social reading. I partake a little. I have friends on GoodReads and I'll get updates on what books they've finished and what they thought. I might make comments on their thoughts. I will post my progress - occasionally with comments - for my friends on GoodReads to read later.

I'm also a member of a few groups at GR that have group reads where people will join conversations as the book is progressing and sometimes passages would be quoted etc..

However, on my Kindle I turn all social features off. I have no interest in such ideas actually intruding on my reading as I'm reading if you know what I mean.

Last edited by caleb72; 02-28-2013 at 10:02 PM.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #22
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
1) I use goodreads (example of social network) for me. For my own personal track record To get recommendations, and to use that challenge of theirs. I find it fun. I don't use it primarily for socializing nor do I care for highlights. People I have on my list are mostly people I care about and bookworms themselves so occasionally we steal each other books and give recommendations.
And this is where I am completely baffled. I am not a user of social networking (except forums if you count that as social networking). Why are all the social network features linked in with Facebook or Twitter? Facebook is for social, and 99% of your 'friends' probably don't care you just finished X-book and thought it great. Same with twitter. But we have goodreads where everyone has something in common, they all like to read.

Would Goodreads integration not be more suitable than FB/Twitter? Kobo tried to start their Kobo Pulse, but thats not really any chop at all.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #23
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Social reading simply removes geographical (and potentially language) barriers allowing kindred spirits to enjoy a book (or movie or anything, really) together.
...while siphoning as much data about you as the device/app manufacturers possibly can in order to sell it to marketeers (or pass it on to marketeers to use it on their own behalf, if they're storefronts like Kobo or Amazon), which is the primary purpose of such features.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #24
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
I want to go on record as claiming to be an avid reader.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #25
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
...while siphoning as much data about you as the device/app manufacturers possibly can in order to sell it to marketeers (or pass it on to marketeers to use it on their own behalf, if they're storefronts like Kobo or Amazon), which is the primary purpose of such features.
I think I went on to say that
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #26
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Bwahahaha! *gasp* Librarybido! Love it! Thank you for a desperately needed laugh!
You're welcome. A smile and a honest laugh are among my favourite tips for such a service
What's the next interesting need on the list?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #27
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Every woman I ever dated, and my ex wife, complained that I read to much.
My wife is a reader and she occasionally says I read to much. Then she also says, "at least it isn't cigarettes, booze or drugs".
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #28
Freeshadow
temp. out of service

Next time she says it keep a straight face and mutter: "heh;these hollow fake hard covers were a good buy."
Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #29
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I'm not clear on what "social reading" is but then I've never understood the nonsense of having "friends" on forums. When I lived in the U.S. I belonged to a reading group but I quit one group because it was all about socializing. I miss my reading group and remember with great fondness the battle over the meaning of Montana - 1948. Everyone else got it wrong. It was a wonderful battle but I'm not sure how that becomes "social". And, maybe, some day, someone will reconsider the book and say, "My god, he was right."

Socializing while you hide is not my idea of a good time. I imagine a dark wood with everyone hiding behind his own tree and talking to each other, softly.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #30
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am unable to socialize while reading. It isn't that I am ignoring you, it is that I am oblivious to everything around me. OK I am ignoring you.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote