Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
scorched03
scorched03 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
3rd Gen Kindle international data/browsing

Greetings all,

I have an international trip outside the US, and have a 3G 3rd Generation Kindle. In Feb '11, the data worked abroad when I traveled around asia.

However, after talking to amazon CS, they stated the 3G international is disabled or that I need $5 for data use. Is this true now that they changed the 3G coverage?
scorched03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorched03 View Post
Is this true now that they changed the 3G coverage?
As of today? Don't think so. Tomorrow? Who knows?

There has been a lot of discussion on this board of what seem to me Amazon trial balloons regarding cutbacks in their awesome near-worldwide no-monthly-fee internet service. There are some indications they already have backed down.

If you asked me, personally, whether you can depend on Kindle 3G-supported internet email as your sole method of communication, I'd advise you to search out the cheapest international cell phone you can find as a backup. If you just want to know whether it's still worth bringing your Kindle along, yes it is.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I've looking through this page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200375890 and the only mention of a $5 charge that I could find was this:

Quote:
U.S. Customers Accessing Whispernet Outside the United States

Kindle (Free 3G) customers from the United States can travel internationally and still get books in less than 60 seconds. Customers have the option to wirelessly receive periodicals via Whispernet for a fee or transfer files from their computer for free.

- International Subscription Service: Receive all of your newspaper, magazine, and blog subscription content via Whispernet for a weekly fee of $4.99.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote