Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
EXTH 116 when converting to MOBI

Perhaps I've missed it—or not done enough experimenting—but, how exactly (if at all), is the EXTH record type 116 being created when converting documents to MOBI? And is it configurable by providing certain criteria in the source document?

I'm thinking specifically of ePub->MOBI. Kindlegen uses certain reference items (if they exist) from the guide section of the OPF file to create that "startreading" EXTH 116 record. The href in that reference item is converted to the position (4-byte offset) in the resulting mobi at which to open when first opened. The "text" ePub semantic (assignable in Sigil) is used by Kindlegen for this purpose. I believe it will use a "start" reference type as well.
Code:
<reference type="text" title="Text" href="Text/EditorsPreface.xhtml#startanchor"/>
So far, nothing I can do to the source document will make calibre create (or populate) that EXTH 116 record. Is there any way to make this happen currently, that I've missed? Or can there be a way in the future?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
From the whats new for 0.8.11

MOBI Output: When converting epub documents that have a start element in their guide, use it to mark the starting position at which the MOBI file will be opened.

Closes tickets: 804755 [External link]
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great news! I was one update behind. Thanks for the new feature and sorry for no longer relevant thread.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm just curious about the internals of this new feature. It definitely works for Kindle devices and the Kindle Previewer (which makes me infinitely happy), but I'm still not seeing an EXTH 116 record in the resultant MOBI (like I do with MobiPocket Creator or Kindlegen). What other record or MOBI attribute are you using to achieve the same effect as the "startreading" offset?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It doesn't use EXTH 116, it uses an entry in the guide section of the mobipocket markup.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert