Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Science fiction writer Joanna Russ dies

http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publis...icle_10299.php

Quote:
Science fiction publication Locus Magazine has confirmed the 74-year-old died peacefully in hospice care in Tucson. She first suffered a stroke in February and was admitted to care in April after a further series of strokes.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Joanna was gracious, vital and skeptical when I met her as a sixteen-year-old while visiting Damon Knight with a writer friend. Later, I realized I'd met a pioneer -- one of the first to break ranks with SF's then-homophobic milieu and declare who she really was. This gave her work immediacy and made it more ambitious:-- speculative in an entirely new way.

She will always be missed, but her work remains alive.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-30-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
ps249
Banned
ps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheese

Device: nook, ipad 2, ipod touch
never heard of her
ps249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps249 View Post
never heard of her
Thanks for letting us know, ps249. I am sure the list of who, and what, you do not know is far too numerous for you to bother pointing it out in every thread.

From now on, we will just assume you know nothing about every topic that is posted, or person who has passed away. You need not inform us.

RIP Ms Russ
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Gosh, I'm impressed, I never heard of ps249...

More to the point, another leading light leaves us but we still have her legacy...

Quote:
never heard of her
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then rejoice, ps249, as the things of which you've never heard will likely bring you joy. If I had never heard of that many artists before, I'd be happy their galaxies of rapture and profundity awaited me.

You really should have more respect for the dead, however, and for those who must mourn their passing.

Quote:
never heard of her

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-01-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Joanna Russ was a true pioneer - both in the content of her literary works, as well as in her honesty & convictions in life. One-of-a-kind!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
In truth I had never heard of her either, though I don't think it's that surprising really. I mean there are a lot of people who write Science Fiction and Fantasy and only a few of them become the household names of their genre. Like Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, etc. And some only write a small body of work that prior to the net might not have had a wide circulation as well. Sometimes the works of an author are better known than their name as well I think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Joanna Russ was a true pioneer - both in the content of her literary works, as well as in her honesty & convictions in life. One-of-a-kind!
What did she write? I thought that I was pretty well up on SF, but I'm afraid I have to join the ranks of those who have to admit to never having heard of her.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Her best known work was "The Female Man" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Female_Man) - she pioneered the examination of gender and gender roles - in futuristic settings - which was later taken up by Ursula K. LeGuin, among others.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What did she write? I thought that I was pretty well up on SF, but I'm afraid I have to join the ranks of those who have to admit to never having heard of her.
She wrote a series about a swordwoman names Alyx. (I've never read it.)

She also wrote And Chaos Died, and The Female Man both of which I read in the late '70's. I didn't like them. Her worldview and writing I didn't care for.

But that is to taste. (She once busted an IQ test, scoring 200).
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Her best known work was "The Female Man" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Female_Man) - she pioneered the examination of gender and gender roles - in futuristic settings - which was later taken up by Ursula K. LeGuin, among others.
Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #13
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
She also wrote And Chaos Died, and The Female Man both of which I read in the late '70's. I didn't like them. Her worldview and writing I didn't care for. But that is to taste. (She once busted an IQ test, scoring 200).
It sounds as if you might possibly be conservative in your leanings, which of course would make Russ's position antipodal to yours. I'd be curious to know what you thought of Samuel Delany -- a writer I grew up reading and now count as a friend, and whose style I've always admired.

Karma to you for being both honest and charitable in your assessment of Russ -- both by mentioning her IQ and in not asserting that your distaste should be shared by right-thinking individuals everywhere.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-01-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately, none of her work is currently available in any eBook format at all, and the few copies of her books that one can find are going for premiums.

I found The Female Man challenging when I read it in the 70's. But enjoyable and thought provoking in the end. And her impact on the genre goes far deeper than her limited output would suggest.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
It sounds as if you might possibly be conservative in your leanings, which of course would make Russ's position antipodal to yours. I'd be curious to know what you thought of Samuel Delany -- a writer I grew up reading and now count as a friend, and whose style I've always admired.

Karma to you for being both honest and charitable in your assessment of Russ -- both by mentioning her IQ and in not asserting that your distaste should be shared by right-thinking individuals everywhere.
As to Chip Delany's works, some I have enjoyed very much, some was so-so (to me). I am certain he can write entertaining mainstream Speculative Fiction when he chooses, I am not certain that he always chooses to do so. <Shrug> You asked for an opinion....

Fiction has style, content, and delivery. No author hits on all three all the time, no matter how popular (or not) they are.

As for Joanna Russ. The Female Man I found to be a most disturbing work. It spiraled into a hate-filled rant, over and over. Not accidentally, but carefully planned and deliberately. Since I was the target of the hate-filled rants, pardon me if I don't looked favorably upon the work.

As for my worldview, it might surprise you that I am the same person who scanned Mizora (One of the earliest US feminist Utopia novels), for Project Gutenberg (Out of my own library.)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote