Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-18-2007, 03:31 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
iRex to set up factories in China?

Babelfish isn't exactly helpful translating this Chinese article, but it seems from the bits I was able to decipher that iRex has found a partner in China to mass-produce the iLiad reader.

Can someone help translate the important parts? Link to the article: here.

In the article they seem to talk a lot about protection of the environment through shifting to e-paper which is complete nonsense if you ask me. A study I've seen recently seen shows that the indirect damage by using an e-book reader (battery, hardware trash, time spent online, etc.) is at least as bad for the environment as cutting trees. Before someone claims the opposite, I'd like to see proof.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:13 AM   #2
fireater
Wanderer
fireater began at the beginning.

Device: Looking for one!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
In the article they seem to talk a lot about protection of the environment through shifting to e-paper which is complete nonsense if you ask me. A study I've seen recently seen shows that the indirect damage by using an e-book reader (battery, hardware trash, time spent online, etc.) is at least as bad for the environment as cutting trees. Before someone claims the opposite, I'd like to see proof.
Totally Agree. Atleast books are recyclable and with sustainable forests, its no big deal procuring environmentally sound paper.

If iLiad will be mass produced in China, the prices can be expected to drop drastically!

Am already drooling at the prospect.
fireater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2007, 06:25 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
From Google's Translation...

Quote:
Venture in Guangdong Wenzhou businessmen Shuqingguo winner, and the Netherlands "Comtec" Chinese R & D people off. become "iRex electronic paper" China is the sole distributor, plans to invest in production within two years

Eastern Han Dynasty more than 2,000 years ago, Cai Lun Paper of the Chinese nation to the world's great contribution. However, the cost of recycled paper large timber, the forest has become a major "natural enemy." Now, Wenzhou Confucianism Shuqingguo together Dutch Chinese scientists Dr. Fu Zhou, cooperative development and production of "electronic paper" achieve a paperless read, I read in the newspaper office.

”Shuqingguo said : "protection of the environment, protect the homeland, protect the Earth's vision I did not hesitate to invest unfamiliar 'electronic paper' fields. "

”Wen made to the first "electronic paper"

It is now not a curly black-and-white version, curl technology has matured, color version is in development

Last weekend, the Wenzhou Chamber of Commerce in Guangzhou City, executive vice president of Shuqingguo sitting in Liwan District of Guangzhou City office, received Through a network of electronic version of the Wenzhou Evening News and immediately turned into a "electronic paper."

A retail price of Wenzhou Evening 0.5 yuan, and Shuqingguo hands of the "Wenzhou Evening News" Now priced at 9,500 yuan. It is not printing the paper, but a "paper-thin as can erase the computer monitor", the use of N-th. Electronics and computer manufacturer said it is "electronic paper handwritten Tablet PC", the industry image to be called "electronic paper."

Work, Shuqingguo making the "Wenzhou Evening News" into the briefcase, the evening brought several folks gathered to watch. Something to be regretted, this black-and-white version of Express is not curled.

Philips Group of the Netherlands nearly eight years, spent 1 billion euros developing "electronic paper." Born Out of the "Philips" the iRex Technology Limited assume that the scientific and technological research projects. Chinese scientist Dr. Zhou Fu "Comtec" CTO and vice president, He led the development team under the world's most technologically advanced and most comfortable reading "electronic paper." Not long ago, Shuqingguo winner, signed a cooperation agreement with and become "iRex electronic paper" China is the sole distributor. This year and next year, Shuqingguo to invest and set up factories in China, the direct production of "iRex electronic paper."

According to reports, arbitrary curly "iRex electronic paper" technology has matured, but the material is still not ideal flexible, Fu Zhou is currently working to find better flexible material. "IRex electronic paper" color version has also been developed.

"Perhaps we do not need a long time, I went by the hands of the 'Wenzhou Evening News' will be in color. After reading can be folded and then stuffed into pockets. "Shuqingguo through the network video said to reporters.

Reserves of up to 1,000 books

Light pressed the button can flip around Remove batteries pages show is not going to disappear, but also writing paddle

"IRex electronic paper" long and a width of 20 cm, 10 cm, only 1 cm thick, weighing about 300 grams, shape and size as a 32 opened the notebook, storage capacity of 500 to 1,000 on the contents. It is the use of electrophoresis technology (also called Ink display technology) from the principle invention.

"IRex electronic paper" may at any time through a wireless interface, download instant news. Such "electronic paper" using ambient light for reading, handwriting is very clear. Its flip function has been very humane, only use the right hand to the thumb to the right side of the electronic paper flip (button) gently around the flick, the screen will flip around. Readers when it does not need its own battery support, only update the content pages updated, only a little energy consumption.

Currently notebook computer through electronic version of newspaper reading, it is impossible for it in writing above the paddle. "IRex electronic paper" while equipped with electromagnetic induction T, readers can in this "paper". using electromagnetic induction T not only casually write arbitrary plan, but also can be modified at any time, the immediate preservation, never I will never finish. 。It can also write to retain the original handwriting, have completely replace traditional paper-based functions.

Opening of "mobile" new era

Ready to open the book look at the newspaper, students also can be put into the material, arbitrary regulation font size

Shuqingguo introduced, this "electronic paper" very suitable for e-government, e-commerce, media, medical, education (such as electronic schoolbags, students of the school, and worked hard Notes), the records management area, to enable mankind to enter paperless office and mobile office times. 'IRex electronic paper' show the character of the ink can achieve realistic effects." Shuqingguo said.

。Reportedly, the Netherlands has begun a secondary trial "electronic paper" The approximately 150 students have all the materials packed in "electronic paper", and for class assignments. They are "electronic paper" The lesson, like an ordinary text books on the same focus in mind, write. ”"Internally the weight of schoolbags children in the back even adults are struggling, it was very conducive to the child's development." Shuqingguo went on to say : "If our children's children as the Netherlands used the same 'electronic paper', that really go to school lightweight workout ah."

If newspaper readers with the choice of "iRex electronic paper," the newspaper without mail delivery. readers are not at home to watch and subscribe to the newspaper will obediently "fly" to report back in the hands of readers."Farsightedness" and "short-sighted" can be arbitrary adjustments to the size of it, take off his glasses and newspapers.

"IRex electronic paper" has attracted national media interest.

”Gain exclusive "hot"

”Heard that there was a kind of thing that could replace ordinary paper, the Trustee immediately contact the result that "became"

Shuqingguo is Yongjia County town of Sha Tau, 16 years ago from Wenzhou food graduated from school, The following year that the south to Guangzhou from scratch entrepreneurial success. In recent years, Guangzhou Shuqingguo an active part in various charitable activities, work hard in demonstrations to practical actions contribute to the community. He is not forgotten his hometown in Guangzhou last year, investors have funded 25,000 yuan hometown eight needy students. Normally, he likes painting, and a certain degree of knowledge, Guangdong Painting Research Society honorary president.

Second half of last year, Guangdong technology through Shuqingguo people understand that Dr. Fu Zhou and his team to develop the world's most advanced "Electronic Paper", which has more than 130 patented technologies. These include universal most authoritative eight patents. "IRex electronic paper" The advent of a possible end to the historic mission of Papermaking.

”He QQ Video through an interview with reporters, said : "I heard that 'iRex electronic paper' can replace the plain paper. Although for me it is very strange, but I would like to think no immediate commissioned sector of friends Dr Chow, to convey their sincere willingness to cooperate. I do so good 'iRex electronic paper' brighter prospects for making money is secondary. The most important thing is that the contribution of the environment. I do not want our future generations to live in Sandstorm! "

"IRex electronic paper" in the eyes of many domestic entrepreneurs, and is turning spinner. The second half of last year, and they Shuqingguo like to Fu Zhou expressed the willingness to cooperate urgently. But Zhou Fu said that he is off with Shuqingguo, politely refused the request of other entrepreneurs.

Base site in Guangdong

If the home conditions are ripe, wants to use the "Electronic Paper" to introduce it to Wenzhou

At present, "iRex electronic paper" production base in the Philippines. Shuqingguo ready in the next two years to invest and set up factories in the Guangzhou area, the direct production of "iRex electronic paper."He initially to the iRex Technology Ltd., the possibility of "iRex electronic paper" production bases do Wenzhou. But that iRex Technology Ltd., Guangzhou software and hardware facilities and personnel structure and Wenzhou, the more suitable "iRex electronic paper" operation. “iRex。IRex Technologies Ltd. finalized, "iRex electronic paper" in investment and set up factories in the Guangzhou area. 。Shuqingguo revealed that if the conditions are ripe hometown, wants to use the "iRex electronic paper" to introduce it to Wenzhou.

Shuqingguo that Wen-brandish weapons to carry the high-tech field, one is the support of the state of high-tech industries, the rapid development of the overall trend, The mean size of the market growth and the strong support of the Crown; other high-technology products were bought by the value-added high profit return. The high-tech field is the future investment in China's direction.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
dodowolf
dodowolf began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Important:
Partnering with iRex Technologies, Mr Zhu will be the sole distributor of iLiad in China. The production line of iLiad in China is expected to be up within two year's time.

Fun Part:
According to trusted sources, iRex has mastered the technology for producing folding iLiad, however, due to inability of finding material of good stretch, iRex has now devoted a lot time to seeking and developing the right material. Meanwhile, a color enabled iLiad is currently being developed.

I am not entirely sure about how trustworthy are the sources, but at least we have hope

"Perhaps not before long, the newspaper (iLiad) i am holding will be color-enabled. After reading it, I can fold it and slot it into my pocket."

Source:
在广东创业的温州商人朱清国捷足先登,与荷兰“iRex”华裔研发人一拍即合,成为“iRex电子纸”中国 唯一总代理,计划在两年内投资生产
据透露,可任意卷曲的“iRex电子纸”技术已成熟,但材料柔韧性还不理想,目前周国富正在致力于寻找开发柔韧性更好的材料。“iRex电子纸”彩色版也已在开发中

“也许不用多长时间,我手中拿着的这份‘温州晚报’会是彩色版,看完以后就可以折叠,再塞进口袋。”朱清国 通过网络视频对记者说。

Last edited by dodowolf; 06-18-2007 at 07:18 AM.
dodowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:22 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Dont expect to see color for a reasonable price within 5 years. And the current iLiad price is reasonable
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
dodowolf

The news reporter said the iLiad was selling at the price of 9500 RMB (928 Euros) in China. Gosh..
Old 06-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
iRex has mastered the technology for producing folding iLiad, however, due to inability of finding material of good stretch, iRex has now devoted a lot time to seeking and developing the right material.
I see ... they've "mastered" it but it's still not possible within the current limits of material science.

Clearly this is some new use of the term 'mastered' which I've not previously encountered.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Mass-production within two years, technology that makes the iLiad fold, and color under development.... VERY cool stuff. Although VERY sketchy as well
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I'm sure they are referring to the economy (or, in this case, environmental benefits) of scale. In other words, if an Iliad can be potentially used to replace hundreds, even thousands of books, then the production of one e-book reader can be said to be more environmentally friendly than the production of thousands of books.

It would be interesting to see someone develop a scale that compares productin of each, and arrives at a distinct number for comparison and sales use--i.e., "Iliad production and power consumption is equal to the production and power consumption of 500,000 print pages," or 1/500,000 EPQ (electronic-to-paper quotient).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the biggest consumptive impact might be magazines and newspapers rather than books.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #11
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:

Actually, we would be doing MORE damage to the environment if we didnt use paper (books, newspapers, magazines etc) because the trees that are being turned into pupl are planted. Over the life of the tree, it absorbs a lot of CO2, and after it is cut down, another one takes its place.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:41 AM   #12
justtoday
justtoday began at the beginning.

expecting ...
justtoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:39 PM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I wonder what the word that google translated as "curly" means? I was guessing "shading" or "gray-scale" in some contexts, but then I hit some examples that really didn't work. (If I were less lazy I'd look up the article and find out which character is in that part of the sentence, but... well... I'm lazy. )
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

It's good to know your limits, nekokami.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
dodowolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I wonder what the word that google translated as "curly" means? ... I'm lazy. )
You lazy nekokami!
"curly" = 可卷曲 = "folding (iLiad)"