Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
ChrisChillin
Eckhartian
ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Frustrated by fading

So I received my Kindle 3 for my birthday two weeks ago and have been an avid and enthusiastic user. Two days ago I noticed that I was one of the victims of the dreaded Key Fade. So yesterday I called Amazon and they overnighted me a replacement.

On the plus side, I'm pleased with the prompt and helpful customer service. And I'm glad I could easily transfer my journal article PDFs with notes and highlights intact.

On the negative side, it's annoying that while I can import the collection categories and all my documents, there seems to be no automatic way to have books and documents sorted into their collections just like on my original Kindle. Unless, that is, I'm missing something and someone can tell me what that is...

But what is most disappointing is that the "new" Kindle seems to have a bit of fading on a couple of its buttons as well! I'm willing to work with the new one for the next week or two (gotta love the 30-day window) and see if my initial observations are borne out. But then what? Do I just keep going through this rigmarole, asking for another replacement until they get it right? Yes, there's already an element of sadness at the thought of returning my original (which is a gift, after all). And I don't want to keep re-organizing my documents. Part of me thinks maybe I could live with the key fade, although my wife thinks I ultimately won't be happy about it in the long run.

I'm just not sure what to do right now. But at least I have some time to figure it out.

Thoughts?
ChrisChillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
I am having a bit of fading on the 4-way switch as well. I noticed it a couple of weeks ago, but I'm in no hurry too have it replace. I'll give it a couple of months and then hopefully Amazon will have improved their ink, yet again.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 03:31 AM   #3
charonme
Zealot
charonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to behold

Device: K3
could you please post a photo? thanks
charonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
A tip about collections. First, put all your books on your new kindle. THEN import collections from another kindle (where the heck is this choice? I can't find it on my kindle, but maybe that's because I already have imported collections...). Then the books will pop into the correct collections automatically. This only works for books you bought from Amazon.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
violent23
Connoisseur
violent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
My down arrow on the four way key is fading as well. It is a bummer, plus I bought mine at target, so calling Amazon for a replacement will be a nightmare.
violent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
rpv
Enthusiast
rpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Touch screens on ipads are an advantage in this regard.. oh only if we had touch screen tablets..
rpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
ChrisChillin
Eckhartian
ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisChillin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Well, at least CS continues to be helpful. They're sending another replacement and I'm shipping back the first replacement to them.
ChrisChillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:25 AM   #8
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisChillin View Post
Well, at least CS continues to be helpful. They're sending another replacement and I'm shipping back the first replacement to them.
Great, let's hope this one is all good. Not had any fading on mine yet and the keyboard has been used pretty extensively - so there are non-fading ones out there!
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Do you have the graphite? I think the white ink is more susceptible to fading. Mine is fading also, but Im way past my 30 days so I'll just wait til it gets really bad or some other problems crop up.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Wouldn't the fading ink be considered a product defect which should fall under the 1 year warranty?

FYI - Mine's fading also.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote