Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Read in the Dark

Aside from the ebookwise 1150, are there any ebook readers that can be used in the dark?
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
You can buy light wedge for Sony readers.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneaber View Post
Aside from the ebookwise 1150, are there any ebook readers that can be used in the dark?
They can all be used in the dark..........with a simple clip on lighty that is not intrusive........

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-...5205481&sr=8-2
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
They can all be used in the dark..........with a simple clip on lighty that is not intrusive........

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-...5205481&sr=8-2
I was just going to post this! The Might Bright flex light is awesome. Highly reccomended for any reader.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneaber View Post
Yes the SONY PRS 700 has a built in light.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:31 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
How does that light wedge work? I've wondered about that for a while now...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
mangust
mangust began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo WiFi
I've found the $8 Energizer LED Reading Light plenty bright with PRS-505. It's also very light and compact. I think you'll find that any good reading light will work well with an e-reader.
mangust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
How does that light wedge work? I've wondered about that for a while now...
The light wedge uses a fresnle(sp?) lens and a side light source. As the light travels through the lens the light is bent and redirected to the paper. The light is then evenly distributed on the paper the wedge is covering.

Personally I love the wedge. It does not produce a glare like other light sources and evenly lights up the page. I tried different lights but the glare and stray light just made reading at night impossible.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Does the light wedge stick to the Sony reader or does it have to be held on by hand? It would be ideal if it had some sort of magnet.
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
=X=
Wizard

Yes that is a real problem. The sony light wedge fits the 505 like a glove but there is nothing to hold it down. So opening the light wedge case the wrong way will cause the wedge to move across the 505 buttons and scratch. Since the lens side of the wedge scratch pretty easily.

What I have done is to put a rubber band on the wedge and 505 to fixate them together. Since doing so I've not scratched the lens any further.
=X=
Old 06-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes that is a real problem. The sony light wedge fits the 505 like a glove but there is nothing to hold it down. So opening the light wedge case the wrong way will cause the wedge to move across the 505 buttons and scratch. Since the lens side of the wedge scratch pretty easily.

What I have done is to put a rubber band on the wedge and 505 to fixate them together. Since doing so I've not scratched the lens any further.
=X=
The light wedge can easily scratch the Reader's screen? As in leave permanent marks?

That sounds like a pretty serious problem.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
The light wedge can easily scratch the Reader's screen? As in leave permanent marks?

- Ahi
I have no scratches on my reader's screen. I do have some scratches on the lightwedge itself, which can be annoying as the scratches seem to catch the light and "glow" brighter than the surrounding area.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, this light is best (IMHO) for a clip on book light.

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-...5257342&sr=8-1

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #14
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:

- Ahi
I don't have any scratches on my screen and considering how I handle my Reader, I do not think that "easily" is the right word choice.

If anything, I think that my light wedge has been protecting my Reader screen. Occasionally I will lift it up to check on the screen and I'm completely amazed and how crystal clear it appears. (It is attached on the left side of the cover, like the Reader, and can be "opened" away from the screen if you don't want to use it. I usually leave it on and read through it whether or not I am using the light.)

I don't have any scratches on the wedge either, although there are a couple of specks of something that seem stuck and I don't want to scrape too hard because I'm afraid of scratching.

I like my light wedge a lot -- I can read in bed, right next to the baby's crib, and there is no extra light to disturb his sleep. There is so little light that I can barely use it as a makeshift flashlight (although I have tried.)
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard

Quote:

- Ahi
To be fair I abuse my equipment, I take my ebook reader everywhere so I can read during the downtime.

I use to carry the reader in my back pocket, but because the wedge case is ever so slightly bigger than the original case I started carrying my reader in my brief case. While in my brief case there was a piece of debris that made it's way between my light wedge and my eBook Reader the result was the screen and the lens where scratched.

The screen only has to small scratches but the lens has many. Under regular light the scratches are not visible. It's when you turn on the wedge where they are visible.

After adding the rubber band to the reader/wedge it fixes the problem. Have not experienced any more scratches to the lens or the eReader.

For me the product is worth every penny I just wish I new about this trick before so that the lens and the screen would be in mint condition still.

=X=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony_wedge_off.jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	30891   Click image for larger version

Name:	sony_wedge_on.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	30892