Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2016, 04:11 AM   #706
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
They may have. I'm on FW 3.18.0, not the very latest one...

EDIT: Oh, but JDesat says they're on the latest FW...
Yes, it has changed a little over the last few firmware versions. I was thinking that it got the current book correct in both ways the search could be done, but apparently it doesn't. I might have missed it as if you need to get the sequence of actions right to see it.

This is with firmware 3.19.5761, which I assume is what JDesat means when saying "newest firmware".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #707
JDesat
Connoisseur
JDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD
Yes, I'm using firmware 3.19.5761. The issue seems to be gone now, but it took 3 factory resets in a row plus reloading my library onto the kobo very slowly over hours instead of just dumping it all on in one huge upload. I honestly don't know if either of those things fixed it or if the issue might happen again, but it's been working fine since I did all that.
JDesat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #708
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not really a bug, but ... dhcpcd-dbus-wpa creates two files in /tmp/ everytime you connect to wifi. Those files never seem to be removed (until you reboot)... if you have a long uptime (standby only, never poweroff/reboot nor install firmware updates/mods), this might eventually cause /tmp/ to run out of inodes, and at this point everything stops working.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #709
Zaroff
Connoisseur
Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Aura One
For those few who already got the Aura One, is it just me, or the thing doesn't keep track of finished books in the stats? Reading hours are OK, but no matter what I do, the number of finished books doesn't change from the original 0.
Zaroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #710
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaroff View Post
For those few who already got the Aura One, is it just me, or the thing doesn't keep track of finished books in the stats? Reading hours are OK, but no matter what I do, the number of finished books doesn't change from the original 0.
Mine is stuck at 45 which is the number of finished books that got synced from Kobo's servers. Since then, I've read 11 books but the number is still stuck at 45. The hours read does not seem to be updating correctly either -- the number is increasing but a lot slower than I would expect.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:01 PM   #711
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaroff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Mine is stuck at 45 which is the number of finished books that got synced from Kobo's servers. Since then, I've read 11 books but the number is still stuck at 45. The hours read does not seem to be updating correctly either -- the number is increasing but a lot slower than I would expect.
It's a known bug in the firmware. When finishing a book, the book gets marked as finished, the stats tile gets displayed, but the place the stats counts isn't updated. It was discovered to late to fix before this release. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next release.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:07 PM   #712
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It's a known bug in the firmware. When finishing a book, the book gets marked as finished, the stats tile gets displayed, but the place the stats counts isn't updated. It was discovered to late to fix before this release. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next release.
Good to hear the number of books read is going to be fixed. Not sure about the hours read, perhaps the firmware is not counting the 15 minutes from the last page turn to going to sleep as part of the reading time which makes it a feature instead of a bug.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:35 PM   #713
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Good to hear the number of books read is going to be fixed. Not sure about the hours read, perhaps the firmware is not counting the 15 minutes from the last page turn to going to sleep as part of the reading time which makes it a feature instead of a bug.
I do know the hours get updated, but I haven't paid much attention to when. They might only get updated on the tile when it is added to the home screen or a book is finished.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #714
chebe
chebe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi, I can't seem to find this issue (but maybe I missed it and they're a quick easy fix, here's hoping).

Kobo Glo, firware 3.19.5761. Sync'd and books purchased from kobo with the win desktop app only. It's randomly losing/keeping my reading progress. It's also lost all the contents of my Collections (has a 'Create' button when I open them up). (I also get the occassional won't-wake-up have to force reset thing too.)

Workaround; open the Collection if it's still on your homescreen, hit create (even though it's empty), and resync with Desktop App. The books come back. Except for the Collections that aren't on your homescreen/history. They seem gone for good.

Last edited by chebe; 09-12-2016 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Adding workaround.
chebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:35 AM   #715
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chebe View Post
Hi, I can't seem to find this issue (but maybe I missed it and they're a quick easy fix, here's hoping).

Kobo Glo, firware 3.19.5761. Sync'd and books purchased from kobo with the win desktop app only. It's randomly losing/keeping my reading progress. It's also lost all the contents of my Collections (has a 'Create' button when I open them up). (I also get the occassional won't-wake-up have to force reset thing too.)

Workaround; open the Collection if it's still on your homescreen, hit create (even though it's empty), and resync with Desktop App. The books come back. Except for the Collections that aren't on your homescreen/history. They seem gone for good.
All those are symptoms of the database on the device being corrupt. You can check it using an SQLite database management application or calibre plus the Kobo Utilities plugin. The fix will be to sign out of your Kobo account and back in again. The sync after this should restore the reading status and collections.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:19 AM   #716
chebe

Thanks for the reply davidfor.

Unfortunately when I checked the db with calibre and the Kobo Utilities plugin it said it was okay. But I did the sign out and sync back in anyway. Indeed, yes, my Collections are back (thank you), but all my reading statuses are gone now. It's okay, I keep track of them in another tool (because this keeps happening) so I can manually fix them up. It's just annoying that their own tools do this, you know?

Again, thank you for your help.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:06 AM   #717
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chebe View Post
Unfortunately when I checked the db with calibre and the Kobo Utilities plugin it said it was okay. But I did the sign out and sync back in anyway. Indeed, yes, my Collections are back (thank you), but all my reading statuses are gone now. It's okay, I keep track of them in another tool (because this keeps happening) so I can manually fix them up.
Another tool? What are you using? Should I plug my Kobo Utilities plugin again as it can automatically get the reading status from the device and you can restore them later if needed.
Quote:
It's just annoying that their own tools do this, you know?
I don't use the Kobo desktop application much, but I have never had it cause a problem. And the issues you mention I have only seen when the database is corrupt. If you are seeing them after the forced restart, then that is likely to be the cause. The chance of the database being corrupted when that is done is high. The other likely thing is that not all the updates are written to the database and there are inconsistencies. That could be what is happening with the collection. Of course, proving that would be a pain.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #718
chebe

"Another tool? What are you using?"

Oh, I don't mean to manage my ebooks/ereader, I just mean goodreads for keeping track.

I've resync'd it with the Desktop App a few times now. It's remembered the correct place in most of the books even though they're marked unread. All fun and games.

It's always been a bit hit and miss for me. Things go a bit strange whenever they introduce a new feature, so I guess I'm just waiting too long between upgrades, or some strange edge-case that isn't tested for.

Thanks again.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #719
Muttly
Enthusiast
Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.

Device: Aura One
Vertical misalignment in epub files

I've just got an Aura One, and the first book I tried to read was in MOBI format. The reader didn't handle it well (the most serious bug being a few characters of spurious text every page or so that was definitely not there on other readers).

I then loaded some .epub books and although the MOBI bugs didn't appear, a new one did: the book title is missing and the text starts at the very beginning of the screen, with a huge gap between the last line of text and the page numbers at the bottom of the screen.

This had been perfect with the MOBI book, so the device is capable of correctly formatting the page, it just does not do so with .epub's.

Any ideas why this might be?
Muttly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #720
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttly View Post
I've just got an Aura One, and the first book I tried to read was in MOBI format. The reader didn't handle it well (the most serious bug being a few characters of spurious text every page or so that was definitely not there on other readers).

I then loaded some .epub books and although the MOBI bugs didn't appear, a new one did: the book title is missing and the text starts at the very beginning of the screen, with a huge gap between the last line of text and the page numbers at the bottom of the screen.

This had been perfect with the MOBI book, so the device is capable of correctly formatting the page, it just does not do so with .epub's.

Any ideas why this might be?
Are you sure the epubs are correctly formatted? This sounds much more like a problem with the book formatting than with the reader's software.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket app