Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #76
mkflint
mkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to behold

Device: KT
I'm struggling to get past the "006 error":
  • KT running firmware 5.1.2
  • Jailbroken months ago
  • installed GUI Launcher
  • removed ads (because there's no official way to do it when your Kindle is registered to the Amazon UK store)
  • Tried to update to 5.3.2 - got the 006 error
  • Removed GUI Launcher and extensions - still the 006 error
  • Reset the device to factory settings
  • JB again
  • Update to 5.3.2 - got the 006 error

I kinda hoped that a factory reset would enable the 5.3.2 update to succeed

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!
mkflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #77
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkflint View Post
  • removed ads (because there's no official way to do it when your Kindle is registered to the Amazon UK store)
  • Tried to update to 5.3.2 - got the 006 error
Replace the ads ;
Do the update ;
Contact Amazon customer service through your Kindle account to have the ads removed.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #78
corpcd
Enthusiast
corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.

Device: K3, KT
Quote:
Read the thread, some users have already point out a solution for this.
corpcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #79
mkflint
mkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to behold

Device: KT
Talking

Regarding my 006 problem: it's sorted. Needed to restore the main partition via the USB Diag thing.

So Woos and Yays to 'twobob' and 'knc1' who are both helpful and mighty handsome.

Boos and Nays to the not-helpful 'corpcd'.

(And wow... 5.3.2 is fast!)

Matthew
mkflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #80
corpcd
Enthusiast
corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Regarding my 006 problem: it's sorted. Needed to restore the main partition via the USB Diag thing.

So Woos and Yays to 'twobob' and 'knc1' who are both helpful and mighty handsome.

Boos and Nays to the not-helpful 'corpcd'.

(And wow... 5.3.2 is fast!)

Matthew
FMP: "Read the thread"... looks like it was quite an effective option seeing the results.

The one that suggested the reflashing option and update was ixtab, or maybe was the customer service the one that restored the partition for you, as knc1 suggested?

Last edited by corpcd; 01-11-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #81
JNT
Connoisseur
JNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic something

Device: KT / K4NT / T62D / T68
Launcher?

If I understand correctly, the GUI Launcher does not work on the new 5.3.2. Are there any (launcher-like) alternatives (or alternative methods) available that does still work?
JNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #82
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
No, not at the moment.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #83
corpcd
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNT View Post
If I understand correctly, the GUI Launcher does not work on the new 5.3.2. Are there any (launcher-like) alternatives (or alternative methods) available that does still work?
No, fw 5.3.2 has just been released, give some time to the developers to figure out what's been changed.

BTW, looks like the only thing it is still working after updating is the jailbreak.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #84
corpcd
Enthusiast

An update: an user from another forum claims that the jailbreak stills works under the new fw.

He speaks about v1.7n jaibreak, and he has also succeeds on installing the screensaver hack through "kindle-python" and "kindle-linkss".

Finally, he tried the fonts hack and failed.

I have not tried by myself.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #85
briant1234
Enthusiast
briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kindle Touch
To be clear, if i have Jailbreak, kindlet Jailbreak, GUI lancher, font hack, JB patch installed, would the only working things after update be the Jailbreak ? (and also which ones do i have to uninstall). Also if i have remove ads active, would this function be removed with the firmware update?

Finally, is it worth it to update the firmware now, those that have already done it, what do you feel are the advantages of 5.3.2?
briant1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:37 AM   #86
corpcd
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by briant1234 View Post
To be clear, if i have Jailbreak, kindlet Jailbreak, GUI lancher, font hack, JB patch installed, would the only working things after update be the Jailbreak ? (and also which ones do i have to uninstall). Also if i have remove ads active, would this function be removed with the firmware update?

Finally, is it worth it to update the firmware now, those that have already done it, what do you feel are the advantages of 5.3.2?
You should unistall everything except jailbreak. Even doing so, it is probable that you wont be able to update, failing with error 006. Solution for this has been explained earlier in this thread.

The fw5.3.2 is the greatest update up to date to make KT fw closer to KPW fw. It's quickest, new fonts and covers. I think it is worth the time spent on modifying the device.

The drawback: you will have ads again, and won't work the rest of hacks, but it is a matter of time developers rebuild their updates to make them work this new fw.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #87
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpcd View Post
The drawback: you will have ads again, and won't work the rest of hacks, but it is a matter of time developers rebuild their updates to make them work this new fw.
Which is not all that much of a drawback.

You only need to contact Amazon support through your Kindle account page to have the ads removed.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #88
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
If you are interested in removing ads (Special Offers) from your kindle, please read this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200942
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #89
corpcd
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which is not all that much of a drawback.

You only need to contact Amazon support through your Kindle account page to have the ads removed.
Ignoring your irony, i will reply:

I didnt removed adds when i had 5.1.2 and i supose i wont remove them with 5.3.2

Its not my priority, they dont disturb me
Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #90
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpcd View Post
I didn't removed adds when I had 5.1.2 and I suppose I won't remove them with 5.3.2

Its not my priority, they dont disturb me
I did not realize you where using two nicknames.
This one and briant1234.

It was briant1234 who posted that they had removed ads.