Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Checked Baggage Policies

Since we're MOBILE readers here, with many of us being frequent travelers, I thought I'd share this, from United Airlines:

Quote:
Originally Posted by United Airlines
Before your next trip with us, we would like you to know about changes to our checked baggage policy and revised fees for excess, overweight, oversized baggage and special items, effective for travel on or after August 18, 2008.

If you purchase a United Economy® ticket on or after June 13, 2008 for travel on or after August 18, 2008, a $15 service fee will apply, each way, to check your first piece of baggage. This fee applies to travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.

As previously announced, a $25 fee will apply to check a second bag when flying on a ticket purchased on or after February 4, 2008. Please refer to the chart below to see which checked baggage fees may apply to you.
American Airlines has a similar policy. What does this really mean? It means more people trying to bring their huge overstuffed roll-a-boards, plus their giant rolling laptop cases, onto the already overcrowded plane. I know about 90% of the time I get to my seat, all the nearby overhead bins are completely stuffed already.

Then what? Then more people have to fight their way upstream to get their bags checked, more delays, more angry people.

I think this is a boneheaded idea.

It's way past time to nationalize air travel in the U.S.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What I especially enjoy is when the carry-on is too heavy to pick up, so they sort of lift/thrust into the vicinity of my overhead bin. I've been hit on the shoulder several times. Now I tell them "Stop. Wait for the flight attendant to help you." For some reason, it offends people to say that. But at least they move on to harrass/endanger some other passenger.

Bah

Last edited by DixieGal; 06-12-2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Don't even get me started on flying. It's one thing that ruins my otherwise sunshiny day.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used to love travel, even business trips. Getting out, around, even people-watching at the airport. Nowadays, that love and enjoyment has been replaced by a sense of resignation, that there WILL be delays, the plane WILL be packed, the A/C WILL be broken, and I WILL be bumped off my connecting flight because it's overbooked.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
This is one of the reasons DH is now being assimil.... er... thinking of getting a Kindle, too. On his last business trip, half his baggage was books and they're heavy. He still ran out of books before the trip was over. I loaned him mine to read a book on to see if he likes it. Thankfully he's a very fast reader. The ergonomics didn't suit him quite as well as they suit me but he was surprised how little he noticed it not being a paper book after awhile.

I used to always bring a roller and a backpack and not check bags if I could help it. Having a reader makes that a lot easier. With the liquid rules I now have to check a bag so I can pack toiletries. Now I'm thinking it would be best to only bring one carry on and just check a big bag. I don't want to fight for bin space.

yay!

Last edited by Alisa; 06-12-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Actually, the charges for checked bags don't apply to hubby & me. After the last trip to Italy - where ALL bags were lost, one lost forever - we have learned to travel only with carry-ons.

Two weeks in Spain with few clothes was a bit tough, because it was hot and sweaty. But shirts and shorts could be worn twice and then washed in the sink. Of course, we always buy souvenir t-shirts, and those go into the daily rotation also. And underwear gets worn twice (inside and out) then trashed. Basically, we always fly home now "going commando" in something ragged and twice worn.

Needless to say, there's no hope of a flight attendant giving us a free upgrade out of that third world internment camp called "coach."

But it's worth any inconvenience to be blessed enough to travel!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Yes, but with the checked luggage no longer being free, more people will move to the "carry-on only" mode, in which I've operated for the last decade. That means MORE people trying to bring MORE luggage onto planes which cannot even handle the current load.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
The next step is to weigh you (and change extra if you're hefty. Of course, then they'll weight your carry-on bags next..... (Something about treating passengers like they treat freight (write your own joke)).
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Then I should get a discount, being of the "rail thin" body type. Yeah, I ran track and bicycled, instead of playing football. String bean, turn sideways and stick out your tongue and you'll look like a zipper... I've heard them all. But I look darn good in a suit, chunky.

:emotifaction:
Old 06-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm relatively lucky. I don't really like flying anymore (especially if Heathrow is involved). So I take the Eurostar or a ferry to the continent, then trains, if necessary.

Why does the USA have such a poor railway system? If the French SNCF were running it, you'd have fast trains, mostly on time.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

I've asked myself, and anyone else who'd listen, that question for years. If any country needs high-speed rail, it's the U.S. (and Canada).

I don't think there is a rational explanation. I suspect the automotive industry is to blame. The United States definitely has a Car Culture.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I flew to China for 2 weeks with one carryon.

(Came back with rather more luggage... and a kid, with her own luggage. Twice. )

5 t-shirts, underwear to match, one extra pair of lightweight pants, and I'm good for as long as I need to be there. If I need to "dress up" I throw in a lightweight skirt and a "nicer" t-shirt. Every few days I do laundry in the bathroom sink. Other people I've traveled with think I'm crazy... until they're waiting for their luggage or hauling around heavy bags, and I'm there with my one. But it depends on a fairly informal style of dress, and a willingness to hand-wash clothes as needed.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I've asked myself, and anyone else who'd listen, that question for years. If any country needs high-speed rail, it's the U.S. (and Canada).

I don't think there is a rational explanation. I suspect the automotive industry is to blame. The United States definitely has a Car Culture.
What's crazy is that there's rail all over the place... but very little passenger rail service, and what there is is overpriced and inconvenient.

For example, there's a Boston-Portland run, and a Boston-Washington D.C. run, both operated by Amtrak. Do they connect? Heck no. You have a 1-mile connection hike to manage via subway, taxi, or whatever, between North Station and South Station in Boston. Bleah.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
As long as you include the consumers as part of the "automotive industry", then I think you're right that we're to blame. Where buses and trains are available, they have frequently been poorly used.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #14
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

I try to travel as lightly as possible (Gentle Reader, please to note the proper use of an adverb) myself. It's actually easy to do so these days, at least for a man, given the general slide toward "business casual every day" in the U.S. I can take nice dress slacks, two or three button-up shirts or a polo, socks and undies, and cram then into my laptop case. All business-class hotels have irons these days, and I can send my laundry out if needs be.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I either use public transport or walk. I've never even bothered to learn how to drive.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote