Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
The_Weird
The_Weird began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Registering K2i on Amazon UK.

So I've been running my Kindle on a US account for ages and using the trick to send myself gift cards to keep my balance topped up. This is mainly because the UK store didn't list most of the books I wanted to buy. This is limited though because without a US credit card I can't subscribe to periodicals or pre-order books.

The UK book range seems much better now the K3 has launched, and the prices are not too bad so I'm thinking about 'going legit' and switching the registration over to the UK site.

I remember when I first got the K2 I only got limited web access when registered as a UK user, but unrestricted when I re-resgisted as a US user. Is this restriction now lifted? If I switch my K2i to a UK registration do I still get full web access?

Also what happens to my US purchases - will I have to de-DRM them to access them?
The_Weird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have full web access on my UK-registered K2. Bit of a waste of time, though; I far prefer to use my iPhone or iPad for this.

When you transfer your account to amazon.co.uk all your purchases transfer across with you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
The_Weird
The_Weird began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for the reply.

Afraid I don;t have either of those luxury items, and if you ever tried to browse the web on a Blackberry you'll understand why I like to use the Kindle!

I am also rather hoping that the webkit browser on the new model makes it on to the K2, but I won't hold my breath as amazon dropped support for the K1 like a hot potato as soon as the K2 came out.
The_Weird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Weird View Post
So I've been running my Kindle on a US account for ages and using the trick to send myself gift cards to keep my balance topped up.
You don't need gift cards (anymore). Since the introduction of the international Kindles, you can use any credit card.
I'm using my German one for about 1 year now.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote