Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
chickentaste
chickentaste began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ereader needed for my holiday

Hi, quick question from a longtime lurker...

My wife and are off to Europe (we live in Oz) for 6 weeks in September. We're travelling light so I'd quite like an ereader to bring with me, firstly as an alternative to me bringing some old-fashioned reading material for the trains, but more importantly for my guidebooks and maps (I was bought a whole load of lonely planet guides on pdf for my birthday last week).

So I need something that will display b+w pdf files with map graphics, with a reasonable battery life and that will charge from USB (my wife will be bringing her netbook). Preferably at a price that isn't totally ridiculous. I've looked at netbooks myself but I'd rather not bother. I prefer e-ink and I also can't be bothered waiting for them to boot when I just want to check a map real quick.

Oh, and I won't buy anything that Apple makes, sorry.

Any suggestions? Is this even possible?

(thanks for reading)
chickentaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iPad would have been the perfect solution for you. Since, however, you rule out Apple, that obviously isn't an option.

You're going to want a reasonably large screen for those maps - they just won't work well on a 6" screen. The Kindle DX is probably a good fit for your requirements.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickentaste View Post
Hi, quick question from a longtime lurker...

My wife and are off to Europe (we live in Oz) for 6 weeks in September. We're travelling light so I'd quite like an ereader to bring with me, firstly as an alternative to me bringing some old-fashioned reading material for the trains, but more importantly for my guidebooks and maps (I was bought a whole load of lonely planet guides on pdf for my birthday last week).

So I need something that will display b+w pdf files with map graphics, with a reasonable battery life and that will charge from USB (my wife will be bringing her netbook). Preferably at a price that isn't totally ridiculous. I've looked at netbooks myself but I'd rather not bother. I prefer e-ink and I also can't be bothered waiting for them to boot when I just want to check a map real quick.

Oh, and I won't buy anything that Apple makes, sorry.

Any suggestions? Is this even possible?

(thanks for reading)
I find touchscreen readers very convenient for the tasks you describe.
On maps you probably want to draw routes, POIs or scribble notes.
HarryT is right: For maps (or in general for PDFs) it's "the bigger the better".
My personal recommendations:
BeBook One/Onyx Boox: Around $ 300, 6" display, very advanced OS.
iRex 800: One of my favorites, very nice design, about $ 400, 8" display.

A cheap Kindle DX may be worth checking out as well. Huge display. Only basic PDF capabilities, but the big display might make up for it.
There's a new Kindle DX(Graphite) out for a few weeks now, you may get the older one for a very low price.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
chickentaste
chickentaste began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the suggestions.. I'm going to take a look at some of the ideas you've suggested and see what I like the look of.
chickentaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you want to use guide books I would say a DXG or Sony 900 (that is the bigger screen one, right).

I used guide books on my K1 in Australia and New Zealand. The maps were hard to deal with because of the 6 inch screen. I looked at them on my DXG and they were perfect.

The Kindle DXG can has international 3G so you would be able to download books easily throughout Europe. I don't know much about Sony's, sorry.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert