Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #76
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well... better a year late than never, I suppose...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #77
KarlB
Enthusiast
KarlB began at the beginning.

Device: clay tablet
I also found that it took a few days for my cover image to appear on the B&N product page. In my experience with Amazon, it takes a few days for the product description to appear after the product page has gone up, so I'd call that a tie.

BTW, I imagine this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I found this online ebook converter to be the easiest way to convert my Kindle .mobi's to nook epub's:
http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-epub
Calibre is so oriented toward managing libraries that I find it cumbersome for things like converting single (or a few) books.

Last edited by KarlB; 10-17-2010 at 07:34 AM.
KarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #78
phochman
phochman began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
Cover Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
This weekend I put Verdant Skies and Kestral for sale. Process took 2 days to appear. When it did, I realized that neither of my covers appear on the product page.

B&N was fairly specific about what was acceptable, a jpg, between 300 and 6500pixels in length, between 20KB and 5MB (or so)... my covers fit all of those criteria. So as far as I can tell, there's no reason they wouldn't display.

B&N support, being what they are (sorry), is no help... in fact, they seem to be MIA. Even links to the PubIt! Help board, apparently populated by authors only, are hard to find, and I have yet to see signs of any B&N personnel on them.

It does seem from the B&N discussion board there are a number of complaints about missing covers, so this is not just my problem. Moreover, I remember this being a problem with B&N's previous publishing system, before they uprooted it and replaced it with PubIt! So we're talking about a problem that hasn't been fixed in over a year...
The covers are up and looking great, Steven.

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble....an&STORE=EBOOK
phochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #79
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup... now, if I could get someone to read 'em and leave some reviews behind!...
Old 10-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #80
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by phochman View Post
The covers are up and looking great, Steven.

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble....an&STORE=EBOOK
Ditto about the covers, Steven! Guess I'm gonna have to break down and buy them...

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #81
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Ditto about the covers, Steven! Guess I'm gonna have to break down and buy them...
Please do... and bring friends!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #82
Tom Wood
oddly human
Tom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle
Does Pubit! give you the option of NOT using DRM?
Tom Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #83
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wood View Post
Does Pubit! give you the option of NOT using DRM?
Yes, it does... and as I did with Amazon, I made sure to turn off DRM for my books (it's a simple checkbox).
Old 10-18-2010, 02:28 AM   #84
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
So does Apple and Smashwords. So that means Apple, Amazon, B&N and Smashwords are great for DRM-free ebook publishing! Yay!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #85
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Nook Emulator

I published several books through PubIt! I found the part that drove me most nuts was how long it took to load up the preview file for the Nook emulator. There were a number of times I just gave up and went back to it later.

I found it worked better when I loaded the cover first, then a epub file.

The covers need to be a min 750 in height, and it won't let you load up small cover sizes.

It is very similar to Amazons DTP. I think that once they get the kinks worked out it will really help.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #86
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
PubIt! now has it's own webpage called Nookbooks. Looks very nice. It has 8624 books listed.

MR member BV Larson has two books in the top 20 Nookbook bestseller list. Congratulations!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/pubi...?cds2Pid=32280
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #87
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Yes, it does... and as I did with Amazon, I made sure to turn off DRM for my books (it's a simple checkbox).
Is there any way for the buyer to know if a PubIt book has DRM?
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #88
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish View Post
Is there any way for the buyer to know if a PubIt book has DRM?
Not that I know of...

Tags
barnes & noble, self-publishing