Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
alterego
alterego began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
International Kindle & Alternate Dictionary

Hi =),

I have been thinking for several months to buy an eBook device.

My first priority while looking for them was that i could use this dictionary while reading books: http://www.mobipocket.com/EN/eBooks/...p?BookID=24744. I bought the book and i have been using in my computer and palm with no problems.

In my research i found out DRM Mobipocket books can't be used in a lot of devices. I first wanted an iLiad but couldn't find one for sale and ship to México. Then i started to look at the cyBook but it didn't convinced me.

I started to look at other options and liked the Kindle a lot, because now its easy to ship internationally and we have many features available in my country.

After some research I managed to 'create' a version of the dictionary in question without encryption. Now i have a .mobi file and if i understand correctly i can use it in the Kindle.

I also read in this forum there are some restrictions with the default dictionary in Kindle. Does anyone knows if there is a way i could use the dictionary i mentioned as default in Kindle? I don't mind if i have to put some (or a lot of) work in converting the dictionary or stuff like that, but i don't want to buy the device if it will be impossible for me, despite the amount of work and research, to use the search function in my dictionary while reading books.

Thank you in advance for you time.
Have a nice day =D.
Abi

Last edited by alterego; 10-22-2009 at 11:28 AM.
alterego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
It's possible to add a different dictionary. I just now added one to my new Kindle. It has to be in prc or mobi format and de-DRM'd (I assume that's what you have).

I think you can only have one dictionary at a time - i.e. the one set to default. This user added an English-German dictionary:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=288

You just add the dictionary to the other books and then you can set it to default.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You can set the default dictionary to any (non-DRMed) mobipocket dictionary you have. I added my Chambers dictionary, set it to be default, and now it uses that instead of the American dictionary it comes with.

It uses the default both for the 'quick lookup' that pops up at the bottom of the page, and also when you choose to go to the full dictionary page. (Where you also have access to a search of the dictionary by typing what you want to look up.)

I'm very pleased with the dictionary lookup on the Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post
Does anyone knows if there is a way i could use the dictionary i mentioned as default in Kindle? I don't mind if i have to put some (or a lot of) work in converting the dictionary or stuff like that, but i don't want to buy the device if it will be impossible for me, despite the amount of work and research, to use the search function in my dictionary while reading books.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-22-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added note about searching dictionary
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
alterego

Oh, ty so much for both your answers.

Yes, i have a de-DRM'd dictionary now =D.
I will buy the device then & keep you posted in my results with the dictionary.

Again ty both & have a nice day!!!!
Abi
Old 10-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is possible to create your own "simple" MOBI dictionary, and these are reported to work on the Kindle. For example, see change primary dictionary to English2Chinese.

What isn't typically possible is to use a commercial MOBI dictionary on the Kindle. Even without the DRM, these dictionaries usually invoke MOBI features that are not supported on the Kindle.

However, there are now a few primary translation dictionaries for sale in the Kindle store. At Amazon, browse the following list (currently 13 results):

Kindle Store › Kindle Books › Reference › Dictionaries & Thesauruses › Kindle Default Dictionaries
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
What isn't typically possible is to use a commercial MOBI dictionary on the Kindle. Even without the DRM, these dictionaries usually invoke MOBI features that are not supported on the Kindle.
I used an English-English Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictonary which I'd de-DRM'd. THere might be features I can't use on the Kindle, but it can certainly look up words.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I used an English-English Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictonary which I'd de-DRM'd.
And pdurrant reported success with a Chambers dictionary. So perhaps I am being overly pessimistic. In any case, either the Spanish MOBI dictionary works or there is a Kindle Store alternative, so buying a Kindle appears safe.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
alterego

Ty again for all your feedback.

I decided i am going to buy it.
I report back the results (hope it doesn't take too long to arrive =D).

Have an awesome night.
Abi
Old 10-23-2009, 04:11 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard

It may be worth being aware that users of the Spanih-English dictionaries from Amazon generally have problems:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...nary&x=17&y=21

Sounds like it's a problem of the Kindle with displaying diacritical signs. So perhaps it's not able to display your dictionary.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
I have the Spanish mobi dictionary mentioned above (Diccionario de la Real Academia Española) y el Merriam-Webster's English-Spanish from Amazon. I can't use the quick lookup in the mobi dictionary, though I can search within the dictionary. The Amazon one works perfectly.
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Not really, a person I know used at his kindle an English - Spanish dictionary bought at Fictionwise.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Excellent tip, I really needed a Spanish-English dictionary, currently learning my second language, hadn't even thought about using the Kindle to help!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:04 AM   #13
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
I think I'm the person's Terisa is talking about ().

I have the Cambridge Klett English-Spanish purchased a bunch of years ago in Fictionwise and de-DRMed and it works in my 3 Kindles (US, Intl and DX).

I purchased the Chambers English-Spanish (that is the same as the Harrap but cheaper -at least the day I purchased it) for my US and DX Kindles, de-DRMed it and put in my Intl one.

Both works as integrated and as normal opened in all three Kindles (And Klett worked in mi iLiad and DR1000).

By the way, about DRM (and for those that will complain about de-DRM an ebook) I think if I purchase a book I can wear it whatever I go. I do not lend ebooks, do not put them in internet, but if I have 4 device, I think in can use it in all of them. It's my [e]book and I'm the only reader. If this does not like to the big corporations it's their problem. RFOG dixit
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:32 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, I wasn't talking about you really but it's the same And I think the same about DRM. I don't throw them to Darknet, but I've three devices, with different formats and I use them in different situations. Nobody avoids I move my paperbook, why are they going to do it with my e-books? And if they do an awful work with books (BW plain cover why? ), why can't I improve it? They don't avoid me to cover the paperbook.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:08 AM   #15
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Terisa,

have you tried the Spanish dictionary from Real Academia? I can use it, de-DRMed, but I can't use the quick lookup while I'm reading a text like with the default dictionary or other bilingual dictionaries, where you just live the cursor near a word and the meaning will pop-up. Is there a way to do this?
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle