Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
smokey
Banned
smokey began at the beginning.

Thumbs up STRANGE EXPERIENCE

STRANGE EXPERIENCE
some days ago i by mistake sat on my prs505 and cracked the screen[what else] felt very sad, as i ve never read so much and so good stuff ever in my life, this reader had really being my buddy.
well situation was not that bad as there were many faint vertical lines on top right there were about10-12 vertical lines going till mid-screen, joining one horizontal & deepest line straight line, which was the one really annoying.
i really prayed to god to help me & was always gently trying to remove that dark deepesst line with fingerss.
suddenly after some days i found that thhe ddeepest line has vanished leaving very few[7-8] microscopic dots.
i am really thrilled .
[1]is it that other lines ll also go away?
[2]what are those deep and faint lines?
[3]what can i do to take care of my reader,i stay in INDIA, by many difficulities got this reader?
[4]how long ll my reader survive?
[5]will the lost line come again in future?i will b greatful
please help me with my queries?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	516.6 KB
ID:	24820  

Last edited by smokey; 03-02-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: adding pictuure
smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've not heard of a reader "self healing" itself, usually the screen is cracked and is permanent. Is it still under warranty?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
c1yat
c1yat doesn't litterc1yat doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
Time to check your personal insurances I think. Home contents / credit card or free with your bank account? All 3 can offer free accidental damage or loss (PSP and digital camera both recouped this way)
c1yat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
The microscopic dots are probably dead pixels. They won't get better. The lines are probably indicative of a broken screen substrate. Again, I wouldn't expect any improvement.

You can post pictures of the damge, if you wish.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
The Alternative
Techno-Junkie
The Alternative doesn't litterThe Alternative doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 (x's 2), PRS-505, PRS-600, iPhone, iPad
And everyone thought the Kindle was the newest in electronic reading. The PRS505 has self-repairing nano-bot technology!
The Alternative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
It must be a Cylon device.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
smokey
Banned
smokey began at the beginning.

Again i m telling u that
[1]the line that got healed was thinest, darked, and looked deepest, going horizontally across the middle of the screen, exact straight whereas the other vary in thickness ending in middle in a curve. just before where they are ending one can observe the a straight horizontal line and some microscopic dots which are remanents of the self-healed line.
[2] the dots [5-6] that remains are really microscopic
[3]it's sony prs 505 silver
[4] i stay in India
[5]its under warranty

please tell me again what i can do
[1]is it that other lines ll also go away?
[2]what are those deep and faint lines?
[3]what can i do to take care of my reader,i stay in INDIA, by many difficulities got this reader?
[4]how long ll my reader survive?
[5]will the lost line come again in future?
smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
1. From what you are saying probably not
2. I'm guessing spoils of war, as in the damage to the screen
3. At the moment just make sure you don't sit on it/drop it ect again, if you have a sony store or electronic store nearby take it there they might be able to fix it.
4. If it's still working you may be able to use it for as long as anybody else or it might become unreadable...it's hard to say.
5. It might come back it might not, there is no way of knowing 100%

If you see damage but it doesn't bother you then keep using it but be super careful from now on (I saw a Cybook on here with a damaged screen but the damage wasn't too bad so it is possible) the alternative is to have someone take it to the sony store (you said it's under warranty so from where ever you bought it from) and have them service it.

Good Luck!

Last edited by ChipnDale; 03-02-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I've seen some funky mechanism for repairing cracks on vehicle windshields. Has any one tried to repair an eink screen this way? Perhaps as a last ditch effort before ditching the reader?
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I've seen some funky mechanism for repairing cracks on vehicle windshields. Has any one tried to repair an eink screen this way? Perhaps as a last ditch effort before ditching the reader?
That wouldn't work, angst. Most are a case of broken screen substrates: the glass layer underneath .
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote