Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-08-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
If your Glowlight Plus is giving you grief with Calibre, please call B&N

The last SW update for the Glowlight Plus totally borked the thing for me. I can't copy anything OFF the Glowlight Plus. And when I use Calibre, it never finishes refreshing. It takes about 5 minutes to get to 1%, another couple of minutes to get to 2% and then it just hangs. After some length of time longer than 15 minutes, but less than 1 hour, Calibre just times out and the nook becomes completely unresponsive.

If you try and drag a LOT of books onto the nook via Windows Explorer, at some point it will time out and the copy will fail.

I know this is a software issue, because I took the nook back to the store and they swapped it out with a new one. The new one worked great, until it got the latest nook software update and began acting the same way.

I called B&N and had them open a support ticket. The woman said that I was the first one reporting the issue. And since the issue doesn't affect your ability to read or buy B&N content, I don't see this one getting a lot of attention by a B&N developer.

In the Calibre subforum, Mr. Goyal feels this is most definitely an issue with the latest nook firmware breaking the MTP protocol on the nook.

So, if you are experiencing the issue, or just want to help out, please open a ticket with B&N tech support so that this issue gets some visibility on their end.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

I just got off the computer with B&N chat support. As of firmware updates 4.5.1, the ONLY supported method of transferring files to the Glowlight Plus is to use Adobe Digital Editions on your PC. The woman claimed that using Windows Explorer can and will eventually corrupt the filesystem on the nook.

Here is the transcript:

Jayrhamae Rose: As a new roll out for the new software version of the NOOK. we would need to use an Adobe Digital Edition to transfer ePub files.
Me: Why?
Jayrhamae Rose: Please check this link to get the steps on how to transfer your ePub files: https://help.barnesandnoble.com/app/...owlight%20plus and https://help.barnesandnoble.com/app/...owlight%20plus
Me: Stand by
Jayrhamae Rose: The ADE application is the only compatible app that can transfer files to the GlowLight Plus.
Me: These are non-DRM ePubs.
Me: I can just drag them onto the nook
Me: And that works, if I do it one at a time
Me: Just can't do a lot at once.
Jayrhamae Rose: I understand. However, we updated the version of the NOOK and the only option to transfer ePub files is to use ADE application.
Me: Then the nook times out and disconnects from the PC
Me: That's not true. I can put a book on it right now without ADE.
Jayrhamae Rose: Kindly try the application that I suggested to rectify this.
Me: The application is only available for Windows and Mac. I use Linux.
Jayrhamae Rose: We highly recommend that you use ADE so that it won't damage the NOOK's software.
Me: And when did this requirement start?
Jayrhamae Rose: It started since we updated the software version as I've said earlier.
Me: Then your software is broken, because it still will let me copy books without using ADE
Me: How do I roll back to the older firmware
Jayrhamae Rose: Please note that we can still save files on the NOOK, but please be reminded that we will encounter some errors while doing this, just like what you are experiencing right now.
Jayrhamae Rose: We cannot down grade the NOOK.
Me: Then I am going to have to abandon the nook platform.
Me: Thank you, and have a good day.
Jayrhamae Rose: I'm glad I was able to assist you and thanks once again for joining the Barnes & Noble Chat.
Jayrhamae Rose: Take care!
Jayrhamae Rose has disconnected.
Advert
Old 08-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #3
apastuszak
Evangelist

And update #2. I CALLED B&N Nook support. You don't need to use the Adobe Digital Editions software to sideload. You need to have an Adobe Digital Editions ID and need to add it to the nook.

I just created an ADE ID and added it to the nook, and now calibre is able to update.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
And update #2. I CALLED B&N Nook support. You don't need to use the Adobe Digital Editions software to sideload. You need to have an Adobe Digital Editions ID and need to add it to the nook.

I just created an ADE ID and added it to the nook, and now calibre is able to update.
Sigh.

I don't know what's more pathetic, the software or the support.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:16 PM   #5
apastuszak
Evangelist

I don't understand why I suddenly need an ADE to use Calibre and Sideload stuff. The woman claimed that this was a requirement of Adobe Digital Editions. I told her ADE support was added in update 4.5.1, which came out in December, and sideloading worked. It was updated 4.5.2 which came out a few months ago that broke this, and I want it reported to a developer.

She asked me if adding the ADE ID fixed my issue and totally ignored what I had said.

If my wife didn't love the nook so much, I'd be ordering a kobo for her right now.
Advert
Old 08-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Have you tried restarting the Nook?

I seem to recall some people had this issue when it launched last year - but I cdon't remember how it was resolved.

Let me go digging.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:32 PM   #7
apastuszak
Evangelist

Barnes and Noble swapped out the nook for me. New nook worked great. I used Calibre to sync over about 200 books. Then the nook told me that I needed a software update. I got 4.5.2, and the same crap the nook was doing started:

1. I couldn't copy anything off the nook.
2. I had to copy ePubs to the nook one at a time.
3. Calibre was unable to scan the nook to see what books I had on it.

Adding an Adobe ID to the nook today fixed these issues, but I shouldn't have to do that.

When the rep told me that I was going to have to use Adobe Digital Editions software to sideload anything, I was about to go ballistic on the woman. Still not happy I need an Adobe ID on my nook, but at least it's working now.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:58 PM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I played with Glowlight Plus at B&N and it seemed to be a nice ereader until I read this thread.
Thank you, saved me some grief.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #9
apastuszak
Evangelist

Well, as I said, Calibre does work, once you create an Adobe ID and add it to the device.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #10
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
I called B&N technical support also about the side-loading issue. I was told that the only books that could be added to the Nook Glowlight plus were library books put on by ADE - she was very specific: only library books. When I added a library book with copy/paste and tried to open it, I was told I had to connect to Wi-Fi so the device could find a "token" for the book. I opened some other books using ADE and added them to the ADE library and tried to open them. The device again asked to connect to the Wi-Fi and when I did told me it could not it could not open the book because it could not find a 'token.
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #11
apastuszak
Evangelist

Once I added the Adobe ID, I was able to sideload books with Calibre again.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #12
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

I do have an ADE ID and had added it to the GLP before I posted. It did not matter with about 40 of the 500 books I tried to sideload. They would be reported as added in Calibre. They would be in the My Files folder on the GLP. The books themselves would not show up at all on the My Files pages on the GLP screens. When I added new books, the covers of the books that did not show up would flash by, but you could not click on them.

I got all but 12 on the 40+ no-show books to sideload by copying the epubs from the Nook Study folder. It took a long time. The GLP kept disconnecting.

The final 12 books I got to show up by adding a folder called Books to the folder named My Files on the GLP.

The official policy of B&N - which they stated to me on the phone last week - is now the only way books could be sideloaded to the GLP is if they are library books. They told me any 3rd party soft-ware used to sideload books had nothing to do with them and was a problem at the 3rd party software's end.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #13
apastuszak
Evangelist

Try creating a My Books folder and sideloading books into that folder. They should show up as part of your library along with your purchased content instead of My Files.

I've seriously given up on the nook.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #14
tas03
Zealot

I forgot something in my first post today. I have 47 books from Amazon that I added to Calibre and tried to sideload to the GLP. Six of the books would not show up on the GLP after being added through Calibre even though they were converted to epubs and the epubs were in the My Files folder, just like some of the B&N books.

Neither of the methods that made the B&N books show up worked with the 6 Amazon books. I even tried copying the epubs from the Calibre Library and it did not work.

Tags
bug, calibre, mtp, nook, sync