Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
CC no longer recognises ereaders

CC doesn't recognise ereaders for new ebooks.

The last time I used CC to load an ebook on to my Lenovo A7 tablet was a month or so ago. Everything went went as usual, and CC gave me a choice of Bookari Premium and the Txtr ePub reader which came with the tablet.

Earlier tonight I uploaded a new ebook from calibre, and everything went as expected. I can see the new ebook in the library on the tablet, and when I selected it I saw the cover page and details about the ebook - including the details from the content.opf file. But when I selected READ from CC I got a message 'Do you have a reader app?...If you think you already have a reader app installed, please see our FAQ'. But I don't see anything in the FAQ which helps.

I know it's not a problem with the ebook; it validates, and I've tested it on my Sony and Kobo, and on my iPad with iBooks and Bluefire.

I can still read the ebooks I've loaded previously. With an already loaded ebook everything goes as it should when I select READ.

Has there been a change to CC? How can I get it to open new ebooks as it did before?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
CC doesn't recognise ereaders for new ebooks.
Opening ebooks is up to the OS. If it opens old ebooks it will open newly acquired ebooks if there is a reader. CC hands this task off to the OS. Look on your tablet and let us know what format the ebook is in that you are having trouble opening. Don't assume it is the format you think but actually look at it. Do you have a reader on your tablet for that format?

If it is in the format you expect delete the book from within CC, power your device off/on then resend the book.

If all else fails here is the FAQ http://cc_faq.multipie.co.uk/
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
In addition to what DoctorOhh suggests, check in Settings / Formats and folders to see priority order of formats. Ensure that epub is at the top. Consider unchecking formats that you actively do not want sent to the device.

One change that could be a cause: by default new installations of CC now accepts all formats, including the Amazon ones (AZW, AZW3, etc). This change was made because too many people couldn't make CC work with the odder formats such as comic books. Before the change, if you sent an Amazon format book to CC, calibre would ask you if you wanted to auto-convert it to EPUB. Now, calibre just sends the format. DoctorOhh's suggestions are aimed at determining if something like this is happening to you.

Unless you have hidden the information you can see the actual format in book details by looking at the file path.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to you both but,

Before I logged on this morning I thought I'd check whether it was some problem with the size of the ebook I can't open. I deleted one of the ebooks I had previously loaded and opened successfully, and then reloaded it from calibre. It won't open either. I could read the ebook I had on my tablet before deleting it; I get exactly the same response as described in my first post, and can't open the exact same ebook now.

I know both ebooks are ePubs; I designed them both. The second ebook, the one I tested this morning, is Typhoon by Joseph Conrad, and is in the MobileRead library.

I have never uploaded anything other than ePub books to the tablet. But I went into the settings and unchecked everything other than ePub without any benefit.

I had already tried turning power off and restarting the tablet, but will try again. I'll let you know if it works this time.

Could you please point me to which article in the FAQ is going to solve my problem? I haven't read them all, but I can't find anything relevant.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:49 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I have never uploaded anything other than ePub books to the tablet. But I went into the settings and unchecked everything other than ePub without any benefit.
If you have the book in calibre in formats other than epub unchecking the boxes will only assist you for future downloads. In CC click on the book and review the Book Details page. Somewhere on this page should be a Path: line. Is the book listed in the Path .epub?

If you do not see "Path" in book details click on the 3 dots and click "Choose items to display" and check "Path" slick OK and now review the book to see if epub was the version sent to your tablet.

You can also send a debug log by following the instructions here so Charles can review what is exactly happening in CC on your device.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Silly me. I've just checked the Book Details screen, and found that both the ebooks I can't read are in mobi format. That has never happened before; I'm so used to uploading from calibre and getting the ePub that I never thought to check what format was coming. And as you suggested I do have the original ePub and a calibre conversion to mobi in calibre.

I've deleted both mobi files and will try again. I suppose that since I've turned off uploading anything but ePub when I try again I'll get the ePub, and it will be readable. Is there anyway of telling calibre that I only want the ePub version? As I wrote earlier I've never had a mobi version come on to the tablet before.

PS Fixed. Now only the ePub comes on to the tablet, and I can read both ebooks I couldn't read before. Thank you.

Last edited by AlexBell; 08-24-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I'm having a similar problem with Kobo and with Google Play Books. CC doesn't recognize them - CC does recognize Bookari, Nook, and Pocketbook. I'm using version 5.1.5.3 on an LG android tablet. Thanks for any help.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:49 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I'm having a similar problem with Kobo and with Google Play Books. CC doesn't recognize them - CC does recognize Bookari, Nook, and Pocketbook. I'm using version 5.1.5.3 on an LG android tablet. Thanks for any help.
Google Play Books isn't a reader app, but is instead a "genuine google alternate infrastructure". CC can add books to GPB using the "Upload to Google Books" command in the book details menu.

The Kobo app does not advertise itself as able to open any kind of book if that book is not installed inside its own library. Because of this severe limitation, CC cannot support it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #9
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Thanks Chaley,

I was looking for an ereader that handles footnotes better than Bookari, so was just trying them all. Good to know about the ones that don't play well with CC - think I'll just stick with Bookari as Google Play takes a really long time to upload and is taking a really long time to tell me it can't open the book - I'm sure it is GP's fault, or the books.

I do so much appreciate your app and thanks for your assistance here on the forum when I run into trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Google Play Books isn't a reader app, but is instead a "genuine google alternate infrastructure". CC can add books to GPB using the "Upload to Google Books" command in the book details menu.

The Kobo app does not advertise itself as able to open any kind of book if that book is not installed inside its own library. Because of this severe limitation, CC cannot support it.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote