Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #226
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I haven't tested it, but recent Kobo firmware (since 3.11.0 I think) has a ShouldDither feature setting.
ShouldDither seems to work on the cover shown when the H2O is in sleep mode. Using the cover that NiluJe attached, it looks dithered. But the same cover inside the ePub is not dithered. It does show the banding.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:08 AM   #227
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ShouldDither seems to work on the cover shown when the H2O is in sleep mode. Using the cover that NiluJe attached, it looks dithered. But the same cover inside the ePub is not dithered. It does show the banding.
I tried ShouldDither=true on my Glo, and it seems to result in the cover image inside kepubs being dithered, although I had to turn the page and then turn back to the cover to see it because the old image was cached. We should probably start a thread in the Kobo forum to discuss it though.

Edit: I've posted about it here.

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-20-2015 at 01:30 AM. Reason: link to post in Kobo Developers forum
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #228
crochetgeek2010
Enthusiast
crochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Calibre and Kobo H20 (latest firmware 3.12.1 I think) I noticed one the strangest behaviors to date. Let me start by saying I tend to update titles to include series info for ease of finding them. If I update them in Calibre then send the book to my H20 it comes up with the original title no longer in Calibre. Tried restarting Calibre between name change and sending them to my H20. No difference. I have Calibre configured to auto manage for devices.
At this point I have to eject the device then plug it back in, then manually update the meta data. Its annoying. I will admit I have a large amount of books on my device (over 2000). I really don't understand why its sending old names that are no longer in Calibre. Any ideas?
crochetgeek2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #229
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'm not completely sure what you are doing, so I'll describe what is supposed to happen and then make some guesses.

When you send a book to the Kobo device, calibre updates the metadata in it and then copies the files to the device. When you disconnect the Kobo device, it find all new books, processes them and extracts the metadata to put into its internal database. This database is used for the library lists on the device.

When you connect the device and calibre sees it, it read the devices database to find what books are on the device. It matches these to the books in the calibre library. The matching is done using a file that calibre puts on the device. If the book is not in the file, the title and author is used. Calibre updates to record this match.

If you change the metadata in the library and send the book to the Kobo device again, the book is not reprocessed. Hence the updated metadata is not read from the book and updated in the devices database and library. To update the metadata on the device, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin.

There is one piece of metadata that is treated differently; series info. As the Kobo device do not read this from the books (it isn't standard metadata) the driver can update this each time the device is connected. It can also maintain the collections the books are in at the same time.

If you send a new book to the Kobo device, close and reopen calibre without disconnecting the device, the book will not be shown on the device. This is because the device has not processed the book and added it to the database that the driver reads.

I think that covers what you are doing except for one thing: How are you adding the series info to the title? Are editing the title in calibre or using metadata plugboard? If you editing the title, I suggest you look at the plugboard. These can modify metadata such as the title as the book is sent to the device. That way you can have the correct title in the calibre library, but add the series info to the title on the device and get the sorting correct.

There is only one other thing I can think of that might explain what you are seeing. Updating the metadata in a book is done using a metadata writer plugin. If these are disabled, calibre will not update the metadata in the book when it is sent. It is an unusual thing to do, but it is possible the EPUB metadata writer plugin has been disabled for some reason.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:19 PM   #230
crochetgeek2010
Enthusiast
crochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Here's a little easier to understand write up

Here's what happens. I download a book into Calibre. I don't like the way the book name is. So I make changes to title - at this point it's not on my H20.

Then I connect my H20 to computer. At this point Calibre sees the title as my modified title. I send the book. I disconnect and find the original title prior to change (that I made prior to connection of device) on my H20.

If I reconnect my H20 I would expect it to sync to the correct book name, since it showed correctly in Calibre. It does not. Now if I go select the book then use kobo utilities to update meta data to force correction. Then disconnect the device and it's correct.

My question is has something changed recently in Calibre that would cause the H20 to see the non modified meta data yet? My geek mind had thought that calibre has a hidden UNID it sends in the hidden meta data that allowed it to update titles on dives automatically (seemed that way in the past)

If I had performed the same behavior with my Kobo HD (in early December prior to the latest firmware on the Kobo) - 1) the name would have been correct from the beginning. Second it would auto sync the meta data. On the same computer with the same config so I am a little confused why its not behaving as I expect it to.

You know one thing I just thought of I did change one thing was trying to use kepub format because I had read it was faster to start Kobo devices. Could it be the kepub is never storing the renamed titles?

Thanks

Laura

QUOTE=davidfor;3038941]I'm not completely sure what you are doing, so I'll describe what is supposed to happen and then make some guesses.

When you send a book to the Kobo device, calibre updates the metadata in it and then copies the files to the device. When you disconnect the Kobo device, it find all new books, processes them and extracts the metadata to put into its internal database. This database is used for the library lists on the device.

When you connect the device and calibre sees it, it read the devices database to find what books are on the device. It matches these to the books in the calibre library. The matching is done using a file that calibre puts on the device. If the book is not in the file, the title and author is used. Calibre updates to record this match.

If you change the metadata in the library and send the book to the Kobo device again, the book is not reprocessed. Hence the updated metadata is not read from the book and updated in the devices database and library. To update the metadata on the device, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin.

There is one piece of metadata that is treated differently; series info. As the Kobo device do not read this from the books (it isn't standard metadata) the driver can update this each time the device is connected. It can also maintain the collections the books are in at the same time.

If you send a new book to the Kobo device, close and reopen calibre without disconnecting the device, the book will not be shown on the device. This is because the device has not processed the book and added it to the database that the driver reads.

I think that covers what you are doing except for one thing: How are you adding the series info to the title? Are editing the title in calibre or using metadata plugboard? If you editing the title, I suggest you look at the plugboard. These can modify metadata such as the title as the book is sent to the device. That way you can have the correct title in the calibre library, but add the series info to the title on the device and get the sorting correct.

There is only one other thing I can think of that might explain what you are seeing. Updating the metadata in a book is done using a metadata writer plugin. If these are disabled, calibre will not update the metadata in the book when it is sent. It is an unusual thing to do, but it is possible the EPUB metadata writer plugin has been disabled for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by crochetgeek2010; 02-02-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Advert
Old 02-03-2015, 01:23 AM   #231
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochetgeek2010 View Post
Here's what happens. I download a book into Calibre. I don't like the way the book name is. So I make changes to title - at this point it's not on my H20.

Then I connect my H20 to computer. At this point Calibre sees the title as my modified title. I send the book. I disconnect and find the original title prior to change (that I made prior to connection of device) on my H20.
That shouldn't happen. The metadata should be updated in the book when it is sent. As a test, can you send a new book, then before disconnecting the device, go to its drive and find the book. Then open it using the calibre viewer. Once it is open, there is an icon in the toolbar to view the metadata in the book. Has the metadata been updated to the version in the calibre library?

If the metadata has not been updated, then the EPUB metadata writer plugin might have been disabled. To check this, open the calibre preferences and go to the Plugins section. In the list, find the "Metadata writer plugins" section and expand it. The find the plugin for epub. It is probably the first one. If it has been disabled, it will say "This plugin has been disabled" under the description. If this is the case, select it and press the "Enable/Disable plugin" button at the bottom of the window.

If the plugin was disabled, this should fix it. You might need to restart calibre for it to take effect. If the plugin wasn't disabled, I don't know what is happening.
Quote:
If I reconnect my H20 I would expect it to sync to the correct book name, since it showed correctly in Calibre. It does not.
No, that is not expected. The only metadata that the driver updates is the series info. And this is done as it is the only way to get it onto the device. Yes, I need to look at this again, but the extra time taken to check the details each time might not be acceptable.
Quote:
Now if I go select the book then use kobo utilities to update meta data to force correction. Then disconnect the device and it's correct.

My question is has something changed recently in Calibre that would cause the H20 to see the non modified meta data yet? My geek mind had thought that calibre has a hidden UNID it sends in the hidden meta data that allowed it to update titles on dives automatically (seemed that way in the past)

If I had performed the same behavior with my Kobo HD (in early December prior to the latest firmware on the Kobo) - 1) the name would have been correct from the beginning. Second it would auto sync the meta data. On the same computer with the same config so I am a little confused why its not behaving as I expect it to.
No, each driver has to be coded to handle the device. But, a lot of the devices work by fetching the metadata as needed from the books. Replacing the books means the next time you look at the metadata on the device, it has the updated metadata. The KoboTouch driver has never updated the metadata automatically.
Quote:
You know one thing I just thought of I did change one thing was trying to use kepub format because I had read it was faster to start Kobo devices. Could it be the kepub is never storing the renamed titles?
No, this will not be the case. If you send the book as a kepub and as an epub, the device will consider them two separate unrelated books. If you were sending them as a kepub now, I would be a little less certain of what is happening. I am fairly sure the metadata gets updated correctly before the kepub is sent, but I haven't checked recently to make sure.

It might help to see what is happening to see a debug log. To produce this:

- Start calibre without the device connected.
- Right click on the preferences button and select "Restart in debug mode". Calibre will restart and display a message about the log.
- Connect the device and wait for the initial jobs to finish.
- Select a book, change the metadata and then send it to the device.
- When the send job has finished, close calibre
- The debug log will be displayed. Post the contents of the log for me to examine.

The debug log shows a lot of information about what is happening during the communication to the device. Hopefully I can work out what is happening from it.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #232
crochetgeek2010
Enthusiast

Figured it out kepub challenges.

Hi,
I did my research and figured it out. kepub's are created at time of load to Calibre. They never update meta data. So if you send Kepub's you get original meta data.

My H20 does not recognize the books loaded until disconnect and it processes them.

So if you upload a kepub and then disconnect the H20 you (original meta data shows from time of load into Calibre) and then reconnect the H20 you can then use the Kobo utilities to update the meta data.

Unless there is a way when you update meta data it can reconvert epubs to kepubs or update the kepub to grab the modified meta data its a royal pain for me. Speed difference or not (I will admit I do see a difference) the meta data is more important to me then speed my library on my H20.

Ideally I would be able to select books and convert them to kepub and have Calibre auto update meta data stored in the format. I only see the option for it to create the kepub at time of book upload, unless I am missing something?

Thanks for your fast response

Laura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That shouldn't happen. The metadata should be updated in the book when it is sent. As a test, can you send a new book, then before disconnecting the device, go to its drive and find the book. Then open it using the calibre viewer. Once it is open, there is an icon in the toolbar to view the metadata in the book. Has the metadata been updated to the version in the calibre library?

If the metadata has not been updated, then the EPUB metadata writer plugin might have been disabled. To check this, open the calibre preferences and go to the Plugins section. In the list, find the "Metadata writer plugins" section and expand it. The find the plugin for epub. It is probably the first one. If it has been disabled, it will say "This plugin has been disabled" under the description. If this is the case, select it and press the "Enable/Disable plugin" button at the bottom of the window.

If the plugin was disabled, this should fix it. You might need to restart calibre for it to take effect. If the plugin wasn't disabled, I don't know what is happening.

No, that is not expected. The only metadata that the driver updates is the series info. And this is done as it is the only way to get it onto the device. Yes, I need to look at this again, but the extra time taken to check the details each time might not be acceptable.

No, each driver has to be coded to handle the device. But, a lot of the devices work by fetching the metadata as needed from the books. Replacing the books means the next time you look at the metadata on the device, it has the updated metadata. The KoboTouch driver has never updated the metadata automatically.

No, this will not be the case. If you send the book as a kepub and as an epub, the device will consider them two separate unrelated books. If you were sending them as a kepub now, I would be a little less certain of what is happening. I am fairly sure the metadata gets updated correctly before the kepub is sent, but I haven't checked recently to make sure.

It might help to see what is happening to see a debug log. To produce this:

- Start calibre without the device connected.
- Right click on the preferences button and select "Restart in debug mode". Calibre will restart and display a message about the log.
- Connect the device and wait for the initial jobs to finish.
- Select a book, change the metadata and then send it to the device.
- When the send job has finished, close calibre
- The debug log will be displayed. Post the contents of the log for me to examine.

The debug log shows a lot of information about what is happening during the communication to the device. Hopefully I can work out what is happening from it.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #233
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochetgeek2010 View Post
Hi,
I did my research and figured it out. kepub's are created at time of load to Calibre. They never update meta data. So if you send Kepub's you get original meta data.

My H20 does not recognize the books loaded until disconnect and it processes them.

So if you upload a kepub and then disconnect the H20 you (original meta data shows from time of load into Calibre) and then reconnect the H20 you can then use the Kobo utilities to update the meta data.

Unless there is a way when you update meta data it can reconvert epubs to kepubs or update the kepub to grab the modified meta data its a royal pain for me. Speed difference or not (I will admit I do see a difference) the meta data is more important to me then speed my library on my H20.

Ideally I would be able to select books and convert them to kepub and have Calibre auto update meta data stored in the format. I only see the option for it to create the kepub at time of book upload, unless I am missing something?
OK, that explains it. You have calibre set to automatically convert the book to kepub when you add it to the library. But, the kepub support for calibre is not complete. It does not support updating the metadata in the book. I will have a look at adding it as or creating a plugin for it. The only problem bit might be the cover.

In the meantime, you will need to reconvert the books that have you have changed the metadata for. And for new books, I would turn off the automatic conversion when adding and do one of the following:

- Do the conversion manually after you are satisfied the metadata is correct.
- Change the configuration of the KoboTouch driver not to send epubs (or whatever format you are getting). And make sure kepub is the first format in the list. When you send a book, it will do the conversion to kepub. That should include the latest metadata and cover. The kepub will be added to the calibre library.
- Use the KoboExtendedDriver. This generates the kepub during the send and after the epub has been updated with the metadata. The kepub is sent to the device, but it is not saved to the calibre library. This means every time you send it, the latest version of the epub and metadata will be used.

I usually recommend the last method. To me it is the cleanest method as there is little point in having kepubs in your calibre library. While the calibre viewer will open them, nothing else can.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:44 PM   #234
Caribou007
Caribou007 began at the beginning.

): I'm getting an error with version 2.3.3 (and whatever version I had before too):

calibre, version 1.48.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 111.
Device firmware version: (3, 12, 1)
Caribou007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:59 PM   #235
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Version 2.3.3 means you are running the extended driver. But, the solution is the same: Follow the instructions in the message. Calibre 1.48 does not have explicit support for Kobo firmware 3.12.1. But, there have not been any changes that are not covered by the version of the driver it contains.

But, if you can, you should upgrade you calibre to the latest version.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #236
Caribou007

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Version 2.3.3 means you are running the extended driver. But, the solution is the same: Follow the instructions in the message. Calibre 1.48 does not have explicit support for Kobo firmware 3.12.1. But, there have not been any changes that are not covered by the version of the driver it contains.

But, if you can, you should upgrade you calibre to the latest version.
Calibre 1.48 is the latest that I know of that is compatible with OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

So as per the instructions in the error message, I will disable the safety protocol. Taking your word that this will not cause any problems.

However, I just want to make it clear that this did not happen before. It only happened following a recent update to the Kobo Glo.

Thanks for your help
Old 02-18-2015, 10:51 PM   #237
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou007 View Post
Calibre 1.48 is the latest that I know of that is compatible with OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

So as per the instructions in the error message, I will disable the safety protocol. Taking your word that this will not cause any problems.

However, I just want to make it clear that this did not happen before. It only happened following a recent update to the Kobo Glo.
Which is what I expected. Calibre 1.48 supported up to FW3.5, so the update of the Glo was a fairly big jump.

And yes, this is very safe. The parts of the device that the driver interacts with have not changed much. And if they do, I'll make a big announcement here.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:31 AM   #238
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Thanks for your help
Why not update your old version of OS X?
Old 02-19-2015, 02:39 AM   #239
Caribou007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not update your old version of OS X?
hardware limitations, i read it's possible but i haven't yet researched the technical details and any related issues.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #240
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
hardware limitations, i read it's possible but i haven't yet researched the technical details and any related issues.
Seeing as you are now coming up to the limits of your hardware, my suggestion is to start saving to get new hardware that will allow you to easily run the software you want.

Tags
kobo