Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #31
A_J_Lath
Zealot
A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Computer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If you mean formatting the mobi file and such. I can send you the one I'm messing with for my Kindle (which will have things like the chapter marks for the K's progress bar) once I get it done (just PM me your email).
Thanks - however, given that Calibre appears to do a fairly nice job of converting an epub to a .mobi, I guess it would be possible to just submit the Calibre generated .mobi, wouldn't it? (I haven't yet looked into a standalone submission to amazon, so I'm not sure how to go about it yet.)

Anyways, I've had a reply from Smashwords asking me to detail the problem, and I have sent a reply. They seem to be taking it seriously, that's for sure.

@Dixiegal: Yeah, I get your point - the most important thing is getting a decent story out there. However, it's still no excuse to offer a slack-looking ebook to a paying customer - I think they have a right to a reasonably well-formatted ebook; it certainly won't do Smashwords any favours with regards to the .mobi format if it all looks a bit slapdash.
A_J_Lath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #32
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_J_Lath View Post
Thanks - however, given that Calibre appears to do a fairly nice job of converting an epub to a .mobi, I guess it would be possible to just submit the Calibre generated .mobi, wouldn't it? (I haven't yet looked into a standalone submission to amazon, so I'm not sure how to go about it yet.)
Yes, a Calibre mobi should work OK except it'll have the copyright info specific to Smashwords unless you edit it out of the ePub.

Another thing I ran across and I'm not sure if it's by design or if it's Smashwords. Your book has no em dashes instead it has a regular dash/hyphen with a space on either side of it. Ultimately not a super huge deal I suppose. I'm probably a lot pickier than most people. I know plenty of people who are fine with reading plain txt files.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #33
A_J_Lath
Zealot
A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^^Of course - the copyright info! Thanks for reminding me!

The hyphen thing - a matter of taste. I've always preferred a single hyphen rather than two side by side (I guess that's what you're referring to, isn't it?)

Anyways, that's all from me today. Been busy, busy, busy and had a pretty heavy-duty speed-work session with my jogging club, so I'm beat. Once again, thanks for all your help!
Old 06-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #34
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
^^Of course - the copyright info! Thanks for reminding me!

The hyphen thing - a matter of taste. I've always preferred a single hyphen rather than two side by side (I guess that's what you're referring to, isn't it?)
No, I mean an em dash (basically a long dash) which is used to show a break in thought or a shift of tone...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/dashes.asp
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:54 AM   #35
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You could use either an em-dash with no spaces around, or an en-dash with spaces around (I've seen both styles in printed books), but not a hyphen. That's, of course, if you want to use proper typography, with curled quotes and all, and not a typewriter style
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:32 AM   #36
A_J_Lath
Zealot

Lol - never even heard of an em-dash before. But I know what you mean - seen 'em. But an extra 1-2mm on a hyphen is far too finicky, as far as I'm concerned. Sorry guys - my hyphens stay as they are!

Anyways - it looks like I'll be uploading a standalone Kindle version (available through Amazon) sometime soon. After looking into it, the process seems pretty straightforward through Amazon's DTP, and I'll be virtually guaranteed a decent .mobi version. The only annoyance is that I apparently can't run any free promotions! So it looks as if I'll have to run a limited offer of 99 cents for a while - however, I'm planning on having the period run quite a bit longer than the Smashwords one, which should sweeten the deal, I hope.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #37
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Your book has no em dashes instead it has a regular dash/hyphen with a space on either side of it.
One of the reasons I go for the RTF from Smashwords is so that I can do a search and replace for hyphens, single and double quotes so that they can be changed to what they should be.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #38
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***The hyphen thing - a matter of taste. I've always preferred a single hyphen rather than two side by side***

A double hyphen, AJ, is merely print code for an en dash. It should not remain at publication and is just sloppy. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #39
A_J_Lath
Zealot

^^I've actually seen the double hyphen in some print books, believe it or not!
Old 06-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #40
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
^^I've actually seen the double hyphen in some print books, believe it or not!
And I've seen printed books that are just a printout of the Project Gutenberg text
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote