Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Greetings and hallucinations, all

I joined a couple of days ago and have been madly reading posts all over the place - even posted one of my own and got a response! I was hoping to be able to make a better decision about purchasing a new ebook reader. Previously I had a Rocket (cried when they went out of business), replaced it with the nearly identical eBookwise 1180, and also have read ebooks on various PDA devices. Need new eyes... the PDA just isn't doing it.
So now I have ebooks in 3 proprietary formats - 74 eReader that I hope soon to strip the DRM from, having just figured it out (Thanks DarkNinja!), 104 Rocket ebooks that no one seems to know how to translate and another 135 eBookwise ebooks that I have not yet tried to translate. If anyone is out there doing that, gosh, let me know!
I also have I do not know how many audiobooks and somewhere in the vicinity of 1200 pbooks, mostly in hardback, cause I love 'em. I'll tell you what kind of reading fool I am - today I bought my new ebook reader - and 4 hardbacks.
So I ended up buying the Sony PRS-700 over at Borders. I wanted immediate gratification! If they'd had the 505 in red I might have gotten it, but it was silver so I considered the light on the 700 and went for that one. Yes, I agree with everyone that compared to the 505 the screen leaves something to be desired - but I have not been reading a 505, I've been reading an 1180 and compared to THAT the screen is wonderful! Since the light was a big part of my decision, the first thing I did when I got home was get into a dark room and try it - yep, that works, even on the lower level. Then just for grins I got out an LCD booklight I had and tried it with that, with its own lights off - and the glare was ferocious. I'd nearly been ready to go back to Borders and swap but that changed my mind for me. I do often read in dim light out on the porch so the ability to light it, without lighting up the world, was pretty important.
While I was teaching the salesclerk all about ebooks (she didn't have a clue) I also gave her this site - I've learned more here in just a couple of days than I was able to learn with all my searching of the seller sites.
Thanks everyone!
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome Robin
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Sounds like you did your research. Do let me know if you ever do find a way to get those old Rocket books working. I've got a ton of them ....
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Robin and welcome to the Forum. I have a 505 and really like it. I expect you will grow as attached to the 700. Enjoy!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote