Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Nobel winner J.M.G Le Clézio

I been looking all over for ebooks by today’s nobel literature prize winner J.M.G Le Clézio, and it seems that there are some books available but only as pdfs in French.

Does anybody know if translations to English (or any of the Scandinavian languages) is avaialbe?
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
I been looking all over for ebooks by today’s nobel literature prize winner J.M.G Le Clézio, and it seems that there are some books available but only as pdfs in French.

Does anybody know if translations to English (or any of the Scandinavian languages) is avaialbe?
If there isn't now, wait a couple of weeks, then everyone want to cash in on this years Nobel-prize winner.

[RANTMODE ON]

Incidently, then Nobel-comitee who chooses the winners are considered a big joke here in sweden. Especially for the Literture prize winner. They go out of their way to find the most obscure writer they can find that the majority of readers have never heard of and give them the prize.

And the publisher here that has that writer "signed" opens up the champagne, cause everyone and his mother goes out to buy everything ever written by that person just so they can say "Of course I read him/her...."

[/RANTMODE OFF]
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Incidently, then Nobel-comitee who chooses the winners are considered a big joke here in sweden. Especially for the Literture prize winner. They go out of their way to find the most obscure writer they can find that the majority of readers have never heard of and give them the prize.
Googling a list of prize winners; I'd say about 50% were unknown to me - which is probably fair enough considering it's a global award.

What used to bug me was that many awards seemed to be motivated by political considerations rather than literary ones (but I actually think there's less of that now).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Amazon has these three titles for the Kindle:

-Wandering Star
-The Prospector
-The Mexican Dream: Or, the Interrupted Thought of Amerindian Civilizations

I do not have to say how many are available from Sony.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

Yes, there are quite a number of his novels and a collection of short stories available in English. --- I should say, they were translated and were published; whether they have been republished (before the Award) is problematic.

Look for a bunch of his titles to become available again, most probably in trade paper editions.

I read LeClezio back in the mid-70s when I was experimenting with many French writers. This was about the same time I discovered Claude Simon.

LeClezio's books are not for everyone. They're "science fictionish" in one sense, but for me personally they transcend that genre. If you want linear plots and characters that one can easily identify with, then I would have to say that his writing may not be favored.

I love his writing, which to me is somewhat decadent and dream-like. The characters move "randomly" through immobilized cities where advertising is King.

His writing is an acquired taste, but I like it a lot.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Vivaldi: I can not find these titles in the Kindle store. Can you provide a link?
(For me it does not matter since I am not aware of a way of transferring Kindle books from Amazon to my Cybook in Norway ;-)

Dr.Drip: Thanks for your comment. Appreciated. Here in Norway Mr Le Clézio is a known author, and several of his books are available in Norwegian. When his name was brought to my attention by the award today I did some research (as I always do on the literature Nobel prize winners) and found that he seemed like an interesting author. However I was not able to get hold of any of his books in ebook format this evening in a language that is understandable to me.

Slite is of course correct that the industry will seize the moment and make sure that Le Clézios work will be available. However, as spoiled ebook reader, I want his books now and not in two weeks. (In two weeks the price of the ebooks introduced will probably also be higher because of marked dynamics).
Old 10-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Vivaldi: I can not find these titles in the Kindle store. Can you provide a link?
(For me it does not matter since I am not aware of a way of transferring Kindle books from Amazon to my Cybook in Norway ;-)
My bad. Searching Kindle Books for 'le Clezio' returns a page with the three pbooks on it but it clearly says at the top of the page that no matches for Kindle books were found. Sorry. And, well, I guess I can not hate Sony quite so much since Amazon is just as bad in this one tiny, insignificant instance.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I don't think that's true for the science prizes. They seem to go to people who've done genuinely groundbreaking work. Eg, I don't think you'd find too many people who'd argue that Françoise Barré-Sinoussi and Luc Montagnier don't deserve the prize for medicine for discovering that the HIV virus is the virus responsible for AIDS.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think that's true for the science prizes. They seem to go to people who've done genuinely groundbreaking work. Eg, I don't think you'd find too many people who'd argue that Françoise Barré-Sinoussi and Luc Montagnier don't deserve the prize for medicine for discovering that the HIV virus is the virus responsible for AIDS.
True, I should have said in regards to the literature price, my bad
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
True, I should have said in regards to the literature price, my bad
Generally, I completely agree with you - who the heck has every heard of most of the people who win? They do have the occasional flash of sanity - last year's literature prize going to Doris Lessing was pretty sensible, I though.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Generally, I completely agree with you - who the heck has every heard of most of the people who win?
Out of curiosity, I looked at the winners for the past twenty years; 9 were unknown to me before they won:
JEAN-MARIE GUSTAVE LE CLÉZIO
ORHAN PAMUK
ELFRIEDE JELINEK
IMRE KERTÉSZ
GAO XINGJIAN
WISLAWA SZYMBORSKA
KENZABURO OE
OCTAVIO PAZ
CAMILO JOSÉ CELA

I had heard of the other 11:
DORIS LESSING
HAROLD PINTER
JOHN MAXWELL COETZEE
V. S. NAIPAUL
GUNTER GRASS
JOSE SARAMAGO
DARIO FO
SEAMUS HEANEY
TONI MORRISON
DEREK WALCOTT
NADINE GORDIMER
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:33 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Out of curiosity, I looked at the winners for the past twenty years; 9 were unknown to me before they won:
JEAN-MARIE GUSTAVE LE CLÉZIO
ORHAN PAMUK
ELFRIEDE JELINEK
IMRE KERTÉSZ
GAO XINGJIAN
WISLAWA SZYMBORSKA
KENZABURO OE
OCTAVIO PAZ
CAMILO JOSÉ CELA

I had heard of the other 11:
DORIS LESSING
HAROLD PINTER
JOHN MAXWELL COETZEE
V. S. NAIPAUL
GUNTER GRASS
JOSE SARAMAGO
DARIO FO
SEAMUS HEANEY
TONI MORRISON
DEREK WALCOTT
NADINE GORDIMER
You're obviously better educated with respect to modern literature than I am. The only ones from that list I've heard of are:

DORIS LESSING
HAROLD PINTER
GUNTER GRASS
SEAMUS HEANEY
Old 10-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #13
Prospect
Other

I think that Slite’s comment regarding the prize being considered as a joke is correct for many people, just like a lot of people think that most of the modern arts is strange and of no value.

Very few people have ever heard of the people getting prices in the science disciplines, but accepts that the prices are awarded by a committee with special knowledge in that specific field.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Speaking of Nobel winners, I've been wanting to read Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family by Thomas Mann (1929 Nobel winner) for years. It was first published in 1901 but the earliest English translation I can find was published in 1924 which means it's not in the public domain in the U.S. and since the translator (Helen Tracy Lowe-Porter) died in 1963, it won't make it to the public domain in Canada, for example, for another 5 years. Since Sony (nor Amazon) doesn't sell it in ebook format, I'd have to go buy the pbook (yuck). Does anyone know of an earlier translation?

Last edited by vivaldirules; 10-11-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There's an interesting article on the BBC News web site about the Nobel winner:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7677013.stm