Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which mystery shall thrill us in May?
The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey 14 37.84%
The Dinner by Herman Koch 8 21.62%
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler 16 43.24%
A Suspension of Mercy by Patricia Highsmith 6 16.22%
The Flower Net by Lisa See 8 21.62%
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley 10 27.03%
A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine 5 13.51%
The Redbreast by Jo Nesbø 13 35.14%
In Pale Battalions by Robert Goddard 11 29.73%
Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton 3 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Well - I'm not surprised about the Great North Road showing in this vote. I've only read one Peter F. Hamilton book and I enjoyed it. I'm sure this book is good too and Jon has been giving it a good report - but I just couldn't see a wave of people voting for it this month.

I have a feeling that I'm going to commit myself to A Dark-Adapted Eye regardless of who wins as it's on my reading list for this year. I don't know if I'll be able to squeeze another option in. I might give it a try if Chandler or Tey win - we'll see.
Since we are doing multiple choice, I would have expected Great North Road to get more votes. It's a murder mystery in a science fiction setting. But if it didn't win, I was hoping then that The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie would have won instead as it is in my TBR pile.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #32
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I just put a hold on The Dinner at my library. Thanks, Issybird.

I love this month. Like Jon who would like to read and discuss science fiction every month I would love to do the same with mysteries. Patricia Highsmith was a wonderful writer of psychological mysteries, as was Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine. Highsmith's The Talented Mr. Ripley (1955) was a successful film starring Matt Damon that was released in 1999. I recommend everything that Lisa See writes.

I'm not so crazy over psychological mysteries since they give me nightmares. I really hate to be inside the head of people who do and rationalize evil (Humbert Humbert and Mr. Ripley can seriously disturb your sleep for a long time). I like flawed sleuths hunting out and removing evil against all odds. It probably all started in childhood with Robin Hood and Zorro.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #33
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I just put a hold on The Dinner at my library.
Me too! The wait list is kind of long though, so I won't get it in time for the book club read, so I didn't vote for it. It's on my TBR though! Thanks for the tip!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #34
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I love this month. Like Jon who would like to read and discuss science fiction every month I would love to do the same with mysteries.
I'm the same. Given that Thrillers and Mysteries are my main genre of choice, I'm a bit surprised that I've only read two of this month's contenders (though I've read other books from five of the authors), and will actually be happy for any of them to win.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #35
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since we are doing multiple choice, I would have expected Great North Road to get more votes. It's a murder mystery in a science fiction setting. But if it didn't win, I was hoping then that The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie would have won instead as it is in my TBR pile.
That's the one I voted for, but The Dinner looks interesting also. I'm afraid people are in for a boring month if The Big Sleep wins. I've already given up on that one once.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #36
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Allright: I downloaded The big sleep from MR, just in case it wins, one never knows and then I'm prepared.......but I am reading The flower net which is very exciting. The nominations have given me some good ideas.

edit: and rethinking my voting strategy:
- should I vote the minute the poll goes up
- should I vote at the last minute to give a favorite a push
- should I vote for only one book, even when I like 5
problems, problems

Last edited by desertblues; 04-24-2013 at 03:34 PM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #37
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Daughter of time can still win... I saw that the Big sleep has 134 pages; that's doable.

Last edited by desertblues; 04-24-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Daughter of time can still win... I saw that the Big sleep has 134 pages; that's doable.
So are 134 push-ups, but at my age I can think of more rewarding ways to spend my time.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #39
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
So are 134 push-ups, but at my age I can think of more rewarding ways to spend my time.

I think I remember it well enough to discuss it, but definitely have no desire to read it again.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #40
desertblues
Home for the moment

Hm, I am glad to see the Daughter of time still has a chance, but I sold it a few months ago with some other old books, as I'm saving up for an iPad mini (got 200 euros for the lot). Library then....
Finished the Flower net and started on The interior, from the same writer.

Last edited by desertblues; 04-25-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #41
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
It does look as if it will be either Chandler or Tey unless we get a late surge in the votes. However I plan on getting hold of several of the others to read whether they win or not.

The book clubs do nothing to help me get my TBR pile smaller!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #42
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
It does look as if it will be either Chandler or Tey unless we get a late surge in the votes. However I plan on getting hold of several of the others to read whether they win or not.

I know!

I should stay away - far, far away. But I just can't help myself.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #43
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Looks like it's going to be The Big Sleep. Still some time of course, but not much and activity has slowed down.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #44
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Looks like it's going to be The Big Sleep. Still some time of course, but not much and activity has slowed down.
Yep it took off like a shot right from the start though like you said there is still a little bit of time left for one of the others to pass it by.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #45
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
No kidding! I was doing all right until I started reading book nominations for the book club! Almost very month a couple of titles make it to my TBR. The TBR that was too long already... I HATE THE BOOK CLUB!!!

Last edited by Asawi; 04-27-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote