Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
BrainDead
BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.

Device: Kobo Glo
Calibre and Kobo Bookshelves

While setting up my new Kobo Glo to work with Calibre, I came across the 'Configure Kobo Touch' dialogue'. Withing the dialogue there is a box with a caption that says:

"The Kobo Touch from firmware 2.0.0 supports bookshelves. These are created on the Kobo Touch. Specify a tags type column for automatic management"

No I have created a couple of bookshelves on my device. Does this somehow allow me to manage (i.e. organise and place books on the 'shelves') from Calibre? If so, what does 'tags type column' mean? No doubt the above means something to the developers, but I wonder if anyone can tell me in plain english what to put in here please and what it will allow Calibre to do?

Thanks.
BrainDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Take a look at A Quick Guide to Shelf Management with calibre 0.9.1 and above for Touch / Glo / Mini
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
BrainDead
BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.

PeterT, thanks. That is exactly what I needed. Should have spotted that earlier!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
BrainDead

Hmm... followed the tutorial and added the column, configured the field in the Kobo driver and added the metadata, but no shelves were created on the Kobo and no books were added to the already existing ones with the same name?
Old 11-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Are you set to automatic metadata management? (And maybe could we move the discussion to that thread?)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:21 AM   #6
BrainDead

I had missed that bit out thinking it was a separate issue. I found and changed the setting to 'Automatic' and the shelves were then automatically created as per metadata settings.

When I started this thread I knew nothing about metadata management. I was just hoping I could manage my Kobo bookshelves from Calibre, hence in my mind it related to Kobo devices. However if you feel this thread is better placed in metadata management - and I can see your point - then by all means have it moved.

Thanks again, PeterT.