Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Download Overdrive here!!!

Figured I'd make a post that's easily identifiable to get Overdrive.

Use this link to get the latest version of Overdrive for the Android OS, straight from the source:

http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/AndroidEULA.aspx

If you want to use it as an alternative to ADE on your Windows/Mac machine, get it here:

http://www.overdrive.com/Software/omc/

And in case you're not sure why you require overdrive; Overdrive is used to view DRM'd Epub books, PDF books and MP3 Audio books(WMA not currently supported in this version of Overdrive). Libraries commonly used this software to lend out their books, but it should work with any other Adobe DRM'd media as well (ie: epub versions of books downloaded from KOBO). Even if you decide not to use ADE (Adobe Digital Edition), you still require an Adobe ID to decrypt DRM'd media. You can get an Adobe ID by going to www.adobe.com and creating an account with them.

If you have more questions about the software, Visit:

http://www.overdrive.com/Software/OMC/faq.aspx

Last edited by Psyke; 11-09-2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: edited Audio book portion.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Remember though that Android (not Kobo) does not support the WMA format many of the audiobooks in some libraries use.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Remember though that Android (not Kobo) does not support the WMA format many of the audiobooks in some libraries use.
hmm...I believe the audio book I downloaded as a test the other day was a WMA file; I'll check when I get home.

I've also been able to play WMV video files as well;this I'm sure of because I ripped a couple movies for the daughter into WMV format, and that's what I tested with.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Other folks have not been able to play them. A search of the net seems to indicate that Android above 2.2 does not support them, but it is a bit ambiguous. I will try the overdrive link you gave us and see if that works for them. My other overdrive app did not. I just checked and our library has a new link, too. A week ago, it had two apps, one for books, and the media one. Now it just has the one, odd. It may be that some libraries (like mine) did not update.

Last edited by taming; 11-08-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist

I'm wondering if installing mVideoplayer might have provided the functionality, even though I was playing the movies via the default media player..
Old 11-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I now have VLCMedia player installed, so who knows...
See this search: http://www.google.ca/search?gcx=c&ix...support+of+WMA

I wonder if it was a temporary thing, a Motorola thing, still on?

Last edited by taming; 11-08-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
Psyke
Evangelist

So in regards to WMA's... The VOX itself does play them no problems for me in the default music player, same with WMV's (via Gallery).

Overdrive is a different story; The book I had downloaded was MP3 it would seem. I tried to download a WMA file and it downloaded fine, but when Overdrive went to open it, there's a very brief message page that says this version of Overdrive does not support WMA files, or something along the lines. So it's not really a problem with VOX or Android, but Overdrive itself... I'll adjust my original post to reflect it.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
Overdrive is a different story; The book I had downloaded was MP3 it would seem. I tried to download a WMA file and it downloaded fine, but when Overdrive went to open it, there's a very brief message page that says this version of Overdrive does not support WMA files, or something along the lines. So it's not really a problem with VOX or Android, but Overdrive itself... I'll adjust my original post to reflect it.
This is really my biggest disappointment about the Vox! I've never been able to play those damned DRMed WMA files on anything but my PC - and that's so inconvenient for an audiobook! I was really hoping I'd FINALLY have an all-in-one borrowing device...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:09 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I'm annoyed by it as well, pokee. A little relieved that I wasn't just plain nuts when I said I couldn't use Overdrive for the audiobooks though.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
trek790
Enthusiast
trek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Vox
Thanks Psyke!
trek790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Really, I don't know why these libraries are still using wma. Using *.mp3 or *.ogg would be way more universally compatible.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote