Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #196
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A better analogy is DVD. The Kindle is akin to HD-DVD and ADE is akin to Blu-Ray DVD. You currently need different hardware to be able to read the different disc formats. Like you need a Kindle to read Mobipocket/AZW and you need a reader from anyone else to read ePub.
No, the disc is a hardware, the file format is only a digital format. I don't need a different hardware to watch digitally downloaded movies in whatever format they might be. I might need to have a different software though but no need to buy another hardware if my current computer is powerful enough.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #197
ron0909
Enthusiast
ron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with others

Device: K-3 WiFi, Kindle Paperwhite
Not long ago I purchased a replacement screen for my old Sony reader. Finding a replacement was hell but I did find one from Sony's Canadian parts distributor. I got it for peanuts! About 2 days after it had been delivered I received many many calls from the parts supplier begging me to return it. When I refused they even resorted to threats! As it turns out, that screen was valued at well over $300.00 (well over the price of the reader at that time) and they had made a huge mistake. To sum up my long winded story, I think that Amazon sells the Kindles at cost or more than likely below cost in hope that they may recoup their expenditures and then some via book sales. (Think of inkjet ink replacements, loss leaders in retail stores etc). The prices of e-ink screens alone justifies this theory. I got a first rate product cheaply with a huge user base, good warranty service and it's not locked up. I can't complain whatsoever should Amazon not support epub as its a small price to fire up Calibre (free) and covert my files or load up Duokan and skip the conversion. Really....what's the big deal? Maybe they can send someone over to read it to me at bedtime
ron0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:46 PM   #198
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron0909 View Post
To sum up my long winded story, I think that Amazon sells the Kindles at cost or more than likely below cost in hope that they may recoup their expenditures and then some via book sales. (Think of inkjet ink replacements, loss leaders in retail stores etc). The prices of e-ink screens alone justifies this theory.
I doubt that Amazon sells the Kindle at an actual loss, since they have pretty low volumes on their books (and pre-Agency, they sold NYT bestselling books at, apparently, a loss). They can't sell *everything* at a loss. (And of course the price of ink for inkjets is shockingly high in a way that books aren't).

And I'm pretty sure that by buying millions of screens, Amazon gets a pretty good price.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #199
ron0909
Enthusiast
ron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with others

Device: K-3 WiFi, Kindle Paperwhite
I'd like to see how many screens actually are purchased....in regard to ink prices...I'm almost positive, with the quantities purchased by the big printer manufacturers, it costs
less than a dollar to create any given single color cartridge. The screen price I was referring to was for a Sony reader coming from Sony Canada's main wholesale parts rep. They are almost prohibitively expensive even in larger quantities (notice I said 'almost') Anyways....opinions are like 'insert expletive here'. We all have one and no definitive proof one way or the other is likely to surface. I still stand by mine and really
if ya want epub support on your kindle, install Duokan and be done with it It works like a charm
ron0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #200
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
[The removal of a spam post has made my comment unnecessary]

Thanks for cleaning up the spam so quickly, Mods. Appreciate all the hard work.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-08-2011 at 06:45 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #201
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ditto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
....Thanks for cleaning up the spam so quickly, Mods. Appreciate all the hard work.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #202
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron0909 View Post
I'd like to see how many screens actually are purchased.
est. 27 million by the end of 2011
~9 million in 2010
~3 million in 2009
~1 million in 2008
~300K in 2007

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2011/08/17/eb...ng-every-year/

Sony/Amazon had the market mostly to themselves the first couple years, then B&N joined in at the end of 2009 with the Nook.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #203
Ellie
Avid reader
Ellie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo and Samsung Tablet
What a fascinating topic this was, I just spent the morning reading it from beginning to end. I just bought a Kindle 3 a couple of days ago, I was reading on my netbook till then. I do wish Kindle had support for epubs but in the meantime, I read what I can in mobi format, convert with Calibre if I need to and if it's a pdf, I read it on my netbook. I am thinking of installing Duokan on my Kindle to read the epubs with. If I get up the nerve since the Kindle is so new. LOL
Ellie is offline   Reply With Quote