Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have a rooted nook
Yes 68 55.74%
No 54 44.26%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #46
kblair210
Enthusiast
kblair210 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
Rooted.

I'm almost scared that one day I'm going to wake up and find out that a BN update has pushed through. I have 2.2 on my phone so I'm completely aware of what it can do, and I don't care. It can't beat root.
To disable OTA (over the air) updates:
Change the name of this file: otacerts.zip to anything else
Run root explorer
Go to etc/security/otacerts.zip
Hit the little mount button near the top to change r/w to r/o
Rename the file otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip_DISABLED_OTA_UPDATES
Hit the little mount button again to change r/o back to r/w

Not guaranteed 100%, but best / easiest way I've personally seen posted so far.
kblair210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #47
tamole
tamole has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Droid X
Like others, I rooted the day I got it. Love having Market and being able to add some other apps and readers. One of the first apps I added was a backup program. I back up the Nook internal memory to the card so if a future update erases it and returns it to stock, it will be easy to restore it to its happily rooted state.
tamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #48
cbnash
cbnash began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Love it rooted!!!
cbnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #49
megthered
Connoisseur
megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note 8.0, Nook HD
No rooting for me. I'm happy with what it does, holds the books I'm reading. I already have a smartphone, pc and mp3 player for everything else.
megthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #50
rebaaaaa
rebaaaaa began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook
Okay, I give up. What's "rooted"? I have a Blackberry, not an Android. So I haven't gotten into the apps thing. I just bought a color Nook so I'm really curious about rooting it!
rebaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #51
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Read my post #40 on this thread it will give you an idea as to what it means.

Last edited by =X=; 02-01-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Fixed typo added link
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #52
Elric
Elric began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Rooted it day one. It's decent unrooted but rooted, takes it several levels beyond the bone stock reader setup. To those who just say they want a reader: Comics, PDFs, etc, are much more useful on a rooted device. Plus, it opens reader alternatives like Kindle, Aldiko, etc.
Elric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #53
gadgetgirl
gadgetgirl began at the beginning.

Device: Droid 2, NOOKcolor(rooted)
The option to root is the reason I chose the NC over the Kindle 3. The idea of having an e-reader AND Android tablet for $250 was just too enticing. Another reason I suppose is the fact that I'm too much of a fraidy cat to root my Droid 2. I actually bought a "rooted" microSD card from someone on eBay and ran it on my NC, but I've been able to figure out how to use a home replacement (ADW) and other apps designed for root access. I love it, and people I show it to are quite impressed. By the way, this is my first post, just joined today!!
gadgetgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #54
TaurusWriter
TaurusWriter began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
I would like to root mine, but am afraid of bricking it. Would that void my warranty?
same here!
TaurusWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:26 AM   #55
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Heh I know of people buying the NC specifically as a cheap android tablet and have no intention of reading on it.

dare I say I have a kindle for reading? I like to dip into both territories.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #56
jswinden
Nameless Being

Interesting, as time goes by the overwhelming number of rooted verses non-rooted NCs in the poll is becoming less and less overwhelming. And MR is probably geek-centric more than most related forums. I would deduce that in the wild there are probably way fewer than 10% of the NCs rooted, yet the rooting threads here far outnumber theads not related to rooting. So much so, that they have become annoying to some of us non-rooter tooters. Even though the rooters have their own thread area they still keep encroaching on the non-rooting area!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #57
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Interesting, as time goes by the overwhelming number of rooted verses non-rooted NCs in the poll is becoming less and less overwhelming. And MR is probably geek-centric more than most related forums. I would deduce that in the wild there are probably way fewer than 10% of the NCs rooted, yet the rooting threads here far outnumber theads not related to rooting. So much so, that they have become annoying to some of us non-rooter tooters. Even though the rooters have their own thread area they still keep encroaching on the non-rooting area!
Just as the nonrooted encroach on the rooted area.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote