Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
ADE 2.0 warning

I get this warning (see attachment)I'd say once every hour or two when I'm working on ADE 2.0. (transferring an epub back and forth to Sigil)It's not a real deal killer. I just lose ADE and then bring it right back up, but anybody know any easy ways to keep it from happening? Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: doc ADE2.0Killer.doc (53.5 KB, 142 views)
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I'm not familiar with that assertion error...sorry.

One suggestion though. Instead of putting a picture inside of a .doc and then posting the word document, just upload the picture as a .jpg. That way anyone who doesn't have/use Word will be able to see, and possibly help.

I think you are probably using the print screen function, and then pasting into word. There are a couple other ways to get a .jpg image.

1) instead of pasting into word...paste into the Paint program; then Save As .jpg
2) instead of using the print screen function, use the "snipping tool" under Start/accessories. That will save directly as .jpg.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
It's a programming error. An assertion is where you tell the programming language that such-and-such a condition must be true. If the given condition is not true then you get this error. In this case the assertion is "loc != null" i.e. the value of the loc variable must not be null.

What does that mean to you as a user? Not much. It's really only helpful for Adobe programmers.

We could make some educated guesses: "loc" could be a variable for a location of something, e.g. a file. Not being null could mean that it's tried to open the file and it's failing because the file doesn't exist, or isn't in the place it thinks it should be. Normally if it's just a question of a file not existing, that you the user tried to load a file that's not there you'd get a more meaningful error, one targetted at the user e.g. "Could not open file 'blah.epub'". Which makes me think it's something like the file was there one minute and not the next, e.g. maybe it temporarily didn't exist whilst Sigil was saving it (overwriting an old version). All of which is speculation of course, it might not be anything to do with files.

I would try making sure you close down Sigil before opening in ADE (and vice-versa) - make absolutely sure that there's no other program that could be accessing the file whilst ADE is trying to use it.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd suggest trying a reinstall of ADE
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, Dion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I'm not familiar with that assertion error...sorry.

One suggestion though. Instead of putting a picture inside of a .doc and then posting the word document, just upload the picture as a .jpg. That way anyone who doesn't have/use Word will be able to see, and possibly help.

I think you are probably using the print screen function, and then pasting into word. There are a couple other ways to get a .jpg image.

1) instead of pasting into word...paste into the Paint program; then Save As .jpg
2) instead of using the print screen function, use the "snipping tool" under Start/accessories. That will save directly as .jpg.

Cheers!
Yes, was using print screen function. Figured out your #1. But where is the "snipping tool"? (See attachment.) Couldn't find it in my accessories. Is that some kind of software I have to download? If so, do you happen to know the link?

Thanks for this info. It's very helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dion'sIdea.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	103704  
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
It's a programming error. An assertion is where you tell the programming language that such-and-such a condition must be true. If the given condition is not true then you get this error. In this case the assertion is "loc != null" i.e. the value of the loc variable must not be null.

What does that mean to you as a user? Not much. It's really only helpful for Adobe programmers.

We could make some educated guesses: "loc" could be a variable for a location of something, e.g. a file. Not being null could mean that it's tried to open the file and it's failing because the file doesn't exist, or isn't in the place it thinks it should be. Normally if it's just a question of a file not existing, that you the user tried to load a file that's not there you'd get a more meaningful error, one targetted at the user e.g. "Could not open file 'blah.epub'". Which makes me think it's something like the file was there one minute and not the next, e.g. maybe it temporarily didn't exist whilst Sigil was saving it (overwriting an old version). All of which is speculation of course, it might not be anything to do with files.

I would try making sure you close down Sigil before opening in ADE (and vice-versa) - make absolutely sure that there's no other program that could be accessing the file whilst ADE is trying to use it.
Thanks Paul. I think your speculation is right (esp. that it "temporarily didn't exist") as I was just flying back and forth between ADE and Sigil. It would be a hassle to close down the programs completely (in terms of time wasted), but I think if I just slow down when I'm switching between them that should do the trick. (If not I'll be back here. lol) Appreciate the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'd suggest trying a reinstall of ADE
Thanks Peter. I'm going to try to slow down switching between the two programs and if that doesn't work I'll try your suggestion.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Yes, was using print screen function. Figured out your #1. But where is the "snipping tool"? (See attachment.) Couldn't find it in my accessories. Is that some kind of software I have to download? If so, do you happen to know the link?
Sorry, I didn't realize it was implemented in Windows 2007

I did find this with google - I haven't used it but the reviews were good:
Windows XP Snipping tool

or, just paste into Paint!

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Sorry, I didn't realize it was implemented in Windows 2007

I did find this with google - I haven't used it but the reviews were good:
Windows XP Snipping tool

or, just paste into Paint!

Cheers!
thanks Dion. I saved that link in case I need it, but you're right, the pasting into Paint is easy enough. Appreciate it.