Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #16
emoorman
Obsessive Reader
emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nokia 1520
Used ebooks

I am sick and tired of greedy authors, coders and musicians who want a payment every time I read, play or use their work. or sell it used. If I buy a paper book, I can surely take it to a used book store and sell or trade it in; and I have done this. Either I own it or I don't own it. Let me know if I don't own the copy of the book I "bought" and I won't buy any more of yours, thank you very much!

Now I will agree that selling it many times is not proper or legal, as is copying.

I have also read that some don't want you quoting their works without payment. I also consider this totally ridiculous. A proper quote with a footnote and bibliography should be sufficient and enough recognition for the author, as it always has been. If it is not allowed to be quoted, in my opinion, it shouldn't be published.

Thank you for reading my vent.

Ed
"That's my opinion and if you don't like it, I have others." Groucho Marx.
emoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #17
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
What I found funny was that he totally missed libraries until a commenter mentioned it. I'm a little put off by the (paraphrase) "I'd rather you go the illegal route than give Amazon money that I won't see part of" thing. Especially since his brain skipped over libraries. I understand his perspective, more or less, but I can't imagine a situation in which I would prefer people break the law to obtain my work rather than take any available legal route to get it.
My thought its...why should you give Amazon money for HIS work when he won't see a dime of it. JA Konrath is on the same side. He actually doesn't care if you distribute his work for free. Those words are actually on this site somewhere, but I can't find it lol.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #18
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
As with any other Marketplace (used Amazon) transaction, you're paying Amazon for 1. connecting buyer with seller and 2. processing the payment transactions for you. That's all, far as I can see.
And second-hand book sales rarely bring any monetary benefit to the author - I don't see a big difference here from selling a used paperback.
Edit: might bring a new reader, of course.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #19
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
My thought its...why should you give Amazon money for HIS work when he won't see a dime of it. JA Konrath is on the same side. He actually doesn't care if you distribute his work for free. Those words are actually on this site somewhere, but I can't find it lol.
While I'm sure most people would be happy to take an author's word that it's okay to do so, Konrath and Scalzi aren't in the same situation in terms of publication. Konrath holds publishing rights to his work - he has the right to give people permission to do whatever with those works. An author who is beholden to a publishing contract usually does not have that right. While I'm sure Tor isn't any happier than Scalzi about the possibility of used ebook sales, I don't imagine they will take the same line on this.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:58 AM   #20
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
While I'm sure most people would be happy to take an author's word that it's okay to do so, Konrath and Scalzi aren't in the same situation in terms of publication. Konrath holds publishing rights to his work - he has the right to give people permission to do whatever with those works. An author who is beholden to a publishing contract usually does not have that right. While I'm sure Tor isn't any happier than Scalzi about the possibility of used ebook sales, I don't imagine they will take the same line on this.
Actually Konrath only holds rights to some of his work. He was specifically talking about the Jack Daniels series, which I don't believe he does. I had emailed him about a problem in one of his books and he kind of just went on a rant about it and even posted something here in response....I wish I could find it...arrgh!

The publisher doesn't get any money from the deal either, so Tor probably wouldn't care either
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoorman View Post
I am sick and tired of greedy authors, coders and musicians who want a payment every time I read, play or use their work. or sell it used. If I buy a paper book, I can surely take it to a used book store and sell or trade it in; and I have done this. Either I own it or I don't own it. Let me know if I don't own the copy of the book I "bought" and I won't buy any more of yours, thank you very much!
Amazon already have "let you know". From the Kindle Terms of Use:

Quote:
Use of Digital Content. Upon your download of Digital Content and payment of any applicable fees (including applicable taxes), the Content Provider grants you a non-exclusive right to view, use, and display such Digital Content an unlimited number of times, solely on the Kindle or a Reading Application or as otherwise permitted as part of the Service, solely on the number of Kindles or Other Devices specified in the Kindle Store, and solely for your personal, non-commercial use. Unless otherwise specified, Digital Content is licensed, not sold, to you by the Content Provider. The Content Provider may include additional terms for use within its Digital Content. Those terms will also apply, but this Agreement will govern in the event of a conflict. Some Digital Content, such as Periodicals, may not be available to you through Reading Applications.
(emphasis mine).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #22
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Quote:
Actually Konrath only holds rights to some of his work. He was specifically talking about the Jack Daniels series, which I don't believe he does. I had emailed him about a problem in one of his books and he kind of just went on a rant about it and even posted something here in response....I wish I could find it...arrgh!

The publisher doesn't get any money from the deal either, so Tor probably wouldn't care either
Here ya go:

Nice Save by JA Konrath
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #23
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Back to the Ford truck example...

If I buy a used F150 pickup, Ford doesn't get a dime from the sale.

Anyway, the whole point is moot, because as Harry pointed out, the license agreement on anything digital you "buy", whether it's ebooks, software, videos, etc., strictly forbids "selling" what was never officially yours in the first place.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon already have "let you know". From the Kindle Terms of Use:

(emphasis mine).
I joined Amazon before they had a Kindle. Thus, no TOS. Amazon has never made me click anything to say I agree to the TOS. Amazon has never put the TOS on my screen for me to read. So, does this make the TOS invalid? It very well may.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote