Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
lizsboy01
Nameless Being

Clippings ? Why K3 but not Nook or Sony ?

Does anyone know why the Kindle allows almost unlimited clippings from even DRM'd books and then copying them to your PC in txt format, whilst Sony and Nook doesn't?

Does anyone think Amazon might drop this function in the future? Could determine which reader I should buy.

Thanks for any help.

Rich
Old 09-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, lizsboy01
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 02:56 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi Rich - the clippings feature has been around for a very long time and I think if Amazon suddenly dropped it there would be an uproar! So I can't see Amazon just ditching it. Not only that but they've just allowed clippings to be sent to twitter and facebook - so actually they are enhancing how it works.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:59 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Lizsboy. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Clippings aren't unlimited. If you clip too much, you'll see a notice in your My Clippings.txt file to the effect that your limit has been exceeded instead of the highlight or clip you made. You can still highlight within the book, but those clippings over the limit won't be copied to your My Clippings.txt file. The clipping limit is set in the header of the e-book file and interestingly (to me, anyway), when set, the clipping limit is enforced even on DRM-free files.

It's not really documented anywhere, but 10% of the book seems to be the general limit. It is something that publishers can specify; O'Reilly completely removed the clipping limit from their Kindle books http://toc.oreilly.com/2009/10/kindl...lly-books.html
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert