Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
elite-fusion
elite-fusion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Books in Different Languages?

Hello guys, I'm new to the site and the whole Kindle world. I love getting info from forums, so as soon as I got the kindle today, I joined the site as you guys can see. Well I just have a quick question if someone can help me out.

I have many .doc files which are books, Russian books, and they are in regular Russian text when they open, so i was just wondering how would I be able to get a few of those books to work on the kindle?

Can someone please help. Thank you

Eric
elite-fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Edit: I can see from Daffy's post that Russion doesn't work straight out of the box...

Firstly, you will have to convert those .doc files to a format that the Kindle can read natively. Amazon has a conversion service you can use. I think you email the doc and then you can download it and move it to the Kindle. Another option is using Mobipocket Creator to create a .mobi file. I've never used Amazon's service, so I can't vouch for how good it is - Mobipocket has worked very well for me. It depends upon your the quality of your source though.

Another option is to create a custom-sized PDF from the .doc's. I experimented with this a little bit, and the most accurate page size I could get was 8.5x11.4 cm and 0 margins in vertical view. Kindle will zoom to fit with to width, and centre vertically, so it doesn't help adding margin to width.

As for whether Russion will work - I don't know, sorry. I've only tried Danish and German and they're the Latin alphabet. I donøt know about Cyrillic. There's certaibly enough people round here who reads Russian. I would suggest that you change the thread title to include that the different language is Russian (you can do that if you click edit --> advanced on your post).

Last edited by Ea; 12-08-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-fusion View Post
Hello guys, I'm new to the site and the whole Kindle world. I love getting info from forums, so as soon as I got the kindle today, I joined the site as you guys can see. Well I just have a quick question if someone can help me out.

I have many .doc files which are books, Russian books, and they are in regular Russian text when they open, so i was just wondering how would I be able to get a few of those books to work on the kindle?

Can someone please help. Thank you

Eric
You would have to hack your Kindle to install font to make your Russian books readable. Pleas check out BlogKindle's site for more information.

Edit: The information Ea gave you is also important. A PDF is the easiest way to go, but conversion and the right font will give your more flexibility for annotation and changing font sizes (and dictionary look up if your add a Russian dictionary and make it your primary dictionary).

Last edited by daffy4u; 12-08-2009 at 11:37 AM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
elite-fusion
elite-fusion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Great, thank you very much, i will have to go and do this later tonight when i get home and try it out, if ill have any questions, you'll be hearing from me soon ill let you know how it goes because im usually pretty good at patching and stuff, so hopefully i wont encounter any issues

Thank you again
elite-fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Then you should have no problems. Good luck - and congratulations with your new device
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert