Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Proud owner of a new ILIAD-BE!!

Hi MR and folks,

I have been ghosting(since jan) and posting a few(since 1 month) in MR now.

A few days ago I finally worked up my nerve to push the order button on amazon.co.jp, for the Iliad BE

It just got delivered yesterday; Had some funfare at the Lawsons store Loppi Terminal, where I had shipped it. I couldnt figure out how to get the payment receipt and neither could the shop assistant. The Loppi terminal was an old one. So came back, rechecked Amazons not-so-clear japanese directions and made my trip back.
I finally got to take home the device.

My first choice for an E-Reader was the BeBook; But the iliad was love-at-second-sight

I have been tinkering with it since then. I also ordered and got the M-Edge cover.

I still feel edgy with the her(consider the device a live being..female..)
Not sure what makes her feel good and bad.

The device costs 599 USD or ~420 Euro. I managed to get it for 60K yen incl everything.
Had i ordered it from irex, my cost would have gone up. But still its very expensive.
Another reason for my edginess.

Main driving factors
Pros
1. Comfortable reading for both novels and technical documents. Mostly computer related. a 5/6' screen really limits me.
2. Extensiblility: potential to support as many formats as possible.

Cons
1. Cost. Have lamented enough about this.
2. Lack of official support. But MR and iliad community more than make up for it. ()
3. Device stability. Unknown factor yet.
4. Lack of SD card support. MMC is a joke. CF, cant use with laptop. Pendrive sticks out and wastes power.
5. Uncomfortable Charger. Read enough about the physics of the charger, but still..; Got to live with it.

More pros than Cons, but still decided on going forward.
It is now unpacked and fully clothed.
I am not good with pictures; Desilinguist has done a great first impressions review recently.

Observations
0. This is my first reader. Hence dont know what to expect.
1. Device feels nice, almost like a Readers Digest magazine
The M-edge is very restrictive. Cant access the pen.
The device feels lop-sided; Seems like Pinnochio's nose.
Its not a perfect rectangle. The top right corner curves out a little.
2. Buttons are slightly uncomfortable.
I have to cramp my thumb to try to go to the next page.
Also have to frequently use my right hand to use the up/down/select buttons.
3. If I tilt the device, I can feel something moving inside.
Almost like some of its innards are loose.
Has someone already felt this? Is this a cause for concern?
4. Boot time was lesser than the 50+ seconds. But not very fast.
The screen display was a surprise and a little unnerving too. Like an old B/W movie.

5. Tried out some mobi docs, sherlock holmes omnibus. Reads like a gem.

6. Tried out a 10MB tech doc pdf. Works very well.
It opens a little slow; The indicator buttons cycle twice.
But the file displays good.
The font is just 1-2 sizes larger than the unreadable level.
I dont like the zoom functionality. I can see a lot of white space on the borders.
I would have like to do a % based zoom to zero-in on the whole page;
But the iliad zooms in onto a particular text fragment.
Maybe i havent experimented enough.
7. I tried to open a jpg pic from my camera. It seemed to take like forever. So had to stop it. Anyways pic display was not important.
8. Tried out a couple of SD cards. But none worked.
Have to get a CF Or maybe I will try a SD-CF adapter. That way the SD can be used in my laptop and the SD-CF in the iliad.
USB pen drive works, Transcend 4gb V30 drive.
But did not work for microsd to USB adapter. Maybe the USB adapter is USB 2.0 only, while pendrives may support usb 1.1 too.
9. I tried to connect to iDS. As expected no updates, except for an italian language pack.

10. Until i am comfortable, I am going to leave it at home. I almost dropped the charger on it once already.

11. I have my n95 for RSS. But will try it out with the iliad too.

12. PC connection works well.
Have copied all books as backup. It has a paltry 64MB extra, so will delete the default books as my classics preference is very limited.
13. I can read while I am charging. But not when connected to PC via USB.

14. I am still keeping the device under wraps.
Cant explain to my friends the reason for getting this! Most of them are non-readers. I am the wolf among the goats.
Questions to the Iliad gurus

1. I would like to add ppdf(pviewer), cbr reader, fbreader, new contentlister functionalities(and more..).
Is it necessary to get the developer package and shell access?
How safe or how vulnerable is my iliad if i do so?
I am a little concerned about the voided-software warranty.
However i am also not ready to ship the device back and have read that I can reflash it myself.
Its not like i am a total newbie. I am very comfortable with computers and Linux in particular.
But I am a nobody when the talk goes deep into hardware.
2. I feel there is something loose inside.
Is this normal? Can I do something about it?
3. Anything else I missed out or potential tryouts?

Almost forgot..how mean of me..

Thanks to MR and all the folks here.
I havent seen a more open forum and a more understanding bunch of people.

Hope to contribute more in the near future.

Whats next?
Play around with the iliad..look around for a second device that I can comfortably lug around with me. The king(or is it the queen?) stays in its throne..

Now for some heavy reading..
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
8. Tried out a couple of SD cards. But none worked.
Have to get a CF Or maybe I will try a SD-CF adapter. That way the SD can be used in my laptop and the SD-CF in the iliad.
Some brands of SD cards up to 1 GB are known to work in the MMC slot. SD-CF adapters also work, but if I am reading the thread below correctly the CF style data on the SD card can't be read using a SD card reader. See Iliad Memorycards list and Are all 1 Gb SD cards supported...?.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Some brands of SD cards up to 1 GB
Hi wallcraft,

I do remember reading that even this SD support is kind of a lucky thing.
I was considering more in terms of this:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...+to+CF&x=0&y=0

These devices allow SD/SDHC card to be used in a CF slot through the CF adapter.
I have since this post, got a CF card-AData 8GB. This seems to work though I can only see the size as 4GB. But havent been able to transfer any files to it yet.

If possible please do give your comments on points 1&2 in my "Questions to Iliad gurus"?

Thanks..hari
Old 03-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
4. Lack of SD card support.
As others have mentioned, some 1GB SD cards will work. The wiki here has a list of cards that are known to work.

Quote:
3. If I tilt the device, I can feel something moving inside.
Almost like some of its innards are loose.
Has someone already felt this? Is this a cause for concern?
That doesn't sound normal.

Quote:
7. I tried to open a jpg pic from my camera. It seemed to take like forever. So had to stop it. Anyways pic display was not important.
A lot of that has to do with the size of the image. If it's resolution is not very close to the native resolution of the iLiad, then it has to re-render before it can display it. With the limited processor/memory in the device, that can be fairly slow. Images will work a lot better if you scale them down first.

Quote:
10. Until i am comfortable, I am going to leave it at home. I almost dropped the charger on it once already.
Yeah, be really careful of the screen. The protective cover should have a hard shell in front to help. They're fairly fragile and can break easily.

Quote:
13. I can read while I am charging. But not when connected to PC via USB.
They do that on purpose. When you are connected to the PC, it has the iLiad mounted as a removable drive. If you delete/modify files from the PC while you are reading them at the same time on the iLiad, it can cause all sorts of weird problems. In one of the more recent updates, they made it a requirement that you cannot have a document opened on the iLiad when you connect to the PC. You have to be in the Content Lister screen.

Quote:
1. I would like to add ppdf(pviewer), cbr reader, fbreader, new contentlister functionalities(and more..).
Is it necessary to get the developer package and shell access?
How safe or how vulnerable is my iliad if i do so?
I am a little concerned about the voided-software warranty.
However i am also not ready to ship the device back and have read that I can reflash it myself.
Its not like i am a total newbie. I am very comfortable with computers and Linux in particular.
But I am a nobody when the talk goes deep into hardware.
Yes, you need the developer package (which includes shell access) in order to install third party software. It does not void your warranty. If anything goes wrong with the hardware or any of the iRex software, then it is still covered. The only thing they do not provide warranty for is if any third party software that you install causes a problem.

Quote:
2. I feel there is something loose inside.
Is this normal? Can I do something about it?
No, this is not normal. I would open a ticket at iRex and ask them about it. They may tell you it is OK, but they might want you to return it so that they can repair it. See what they say.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
rhari79
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Yes, you need the developer package (which includes shell access) in order to install third party software. It does not void your warranty. If anything goes wrong with the hardware or any of the iRex software, then it is still covered. The only thing they do not provide warranty for is if any third party software that you install causes a problem.
That takes a huge doubt off.
I will request for the dev pkg asap. Folks here have done a great job in making the iliad worth its money and i dont want to miss out on the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
No, this is not normal. I would open a ticket at iRex and ask them about it. They may tell you it is OK, but they might want you to return it so that they can repair it. See what they say.
I considered opening it up myself, but then decided against it. I have registered a ticket. Maybe its just a small blip and hope i dont have to ship it back.

I am still working on the card support. Will post an update later.

thanks
hari
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
rhari79
Addict

SD-to-CF Adapter on Iliad

Quote:
I am still working on the card support. Will post an update later.
Hi All,
Quick Update:
I was able to purchase an SD-to-CF adapter card(Photofast CR-70000).

I have a lot of 2GB microsd and its SD adapter lying around. I use an 8GB microsd in my mobile these days. Hence, I just popped in the 2gb microsd into the sd adapter and then used this sd inside the SD-CF adapter.
And..Voila.. the Iliad recognises this as a CF card. 2GB..am sure other microsd/sd will work without any problems.

Japanese site:
http://www.flashmemory-japan.com/photofast/b1024.html
Amazon: Search for CR-7000 or "sd to cf adapter".

What is the use of this arrangement?
I felt a plain CF is bulky. I must have an additional usb adapter etc to use it.
My CF card was corrupted when i used it in iliad and transferred data through computer(usb to iliad) and then couldnt access it at all.

SDs are very popular these days. microsds in mobile, SDs in cameras. Most laptops have an SD card slot. So accessing the SD is very easy. Also it serves a dual purpose..use in mobile/camera or iliad.
Another point i noticed is the CF connector in iliad is a series of pins(like IDE connector). These could get damaged if cf is pulled/pushed too many times. By using the SD-CF adapter, i can pull out the SD(or microsd) only. Less chance of damaging the pins.

Thanks and hope this helps..
Njoy your iliad..

Regd loose innards in my iliadBE,
Yesterday i went walking among the Cherry Blossoms in the park, with my iliad, and could feel the regular thud of something inside as i moved my hands. No more outings with her now
I had logged a ticket at irex. They have responded saying they will pick it up for examining. Hope this gets over quickly. I really want to start rocking with my iliad.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:19 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd guess that the "something loose inside" is probably the battery. It's perhaps slightly moving from side to side.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
rhari79
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd guess that the "something loose inside" is probably the battery. It's perhaps slightly moving from side to side.
Yes. IRex has just kind of confirmed this.
My Reader has been away for about 10 days and seems they will be shipping it back soon. Cant wait to get it back..
Old 04-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
triwy
triwy began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Hi Rahri 79, congratulation on your new device! I went now to amazon.co.jp and the price is 70.000yen...how did you manage to pay so little?! There is a trick I do not know? Can you let me know? thanks,
triwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
rhari79
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwy View Post
I went now to amazon.co.jp and the price is 70.000yen...how did you manage to pay so little?! There is a trick I do not know? Can you let me know? thanks,
Thanks triwy. No Tricks.
The device just doesnt show up on searching amazon.
I got the device with ASIN number B0019FFB4U. (search with this number shows the device..only 1 available).
I found it through some tedious searches and jp.msn.com i think.

Anyways, as i see it now, the price has already increased by 7000Y.
At the price i got initially, it was cheaper in amazon than from irex, and i was able to get it on COD so no credit card charges. Now maybe you should reconsider and see if irex price is lesser.

I noticed a strange thing with irex. They sell for noticeably lesser price in Euros to asian cities than compared to the price in european cities.

hope this helps.

--hari

Last edited by rhari79; 04-23-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: corrected name.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
rhari79
Addict

my sw on iliad..

Small update..

I have successfully installed many apps from the iliad s/w list.
pviewer, ipdf, leafpad, mrxvt, iviewer, fbreader, ace.of.penguins, chess, mahjongg, convertlit etc., Trying to get abiword to work.

Tried reading a few comics in iviewer and found it a delight.
pviewer somehow seems close sourced, and its LIT display is not very good though. But its pdf zoom/reflow seems good.

ipdf somehow doesnt seem very interesting. What i required is a desktop pdf reader type zooming: 50->75->100->120% etc., so that i can progressively zoom in on the pdf.

Is this supported in any of the ipdf? am i missing something obvious?
i think i should ask abt ipdf in the ipdf thread..

Also is there a working fbreader 0.10.x? I tried istudy's 0.10.2, but this doesnt startup.

Please do drop in your comments/suggestions.

--hari