Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
diddy
Connoisseur
diddy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
RSS reader for T1

Hi,
I just received my T1 which find a good improvement over my previous 650. It would be great if the T1 had a built in RSS reader. Ideally you could define all the RSS feeds in the Sony Reader software on your Mac/PC and then it gets sync'd across. On the reader, the software should present the RSS feeds like a book (so no scrolling, but page turns instead).
If Sony doesn't provide this, I could probably use the built in browser on T1 for this, but then, I haven't found a website yet which allows you to read the RSS feeds like a book (page turns, no scrolling). Does somebody maybe know about one?
Thanks,
Diddy
diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Calibre can pull down feeds. They aren't 100% compatible as periodicals on the T1 yet, and I don't know how long it will take to figure out the subtle changes from the 350/650/900/950 support for periodicals.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
diddy
Connoisseur

Thanks for your reply! So would it be possible to define my RSS feeds in Calibre, have the Calibre server running on my PC and then my T1 can connect to it via WiFi and pull down the latest news?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
That is a bit trickier. Can't say for sure.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
diddy
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot any ways!
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #6
hefolsom
hefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Hey there. I wanted the same thing - you can get pretty close to the functionality you describe if you use Dropbox in addition to Calibre.

Basically, set up your Calibre library within your Dropbox folder. Set Calibre up to grab feeds however often you like.

Since your Calibre library is in Dropbox, the files it creates from the feeds become accessible on the web. Use the Sony's browser to access Dropbox on the web (the mobile Dropbox site looks pretty good on the Sony's browser), and download from there.

If you set up each feed individually in Calibre, you'll end up with lots of files to download. If you find that annoying, you can solve it by putting your feeds all into Google Reader, and having Calibre grab your Google Reader feeds as a single file.

So overall, you're setting things up like this:

1. Feeds into Google Reader
2. Google Reader into Calibre
3. Calibre to Dropbox
4. Dropbox web access to the Sony.

The first three steps will all happen automatically but I haven't found any way to make step 4 happen by itself. And I suppose if you have lots of ebooks (and manage them all with Calibre) they might not fit in the free Dropbox account.

Still works better than anything else I've found, though

Good luck!
hefolsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:31 AM   #7
diddy
Connoisseur

Wow, impressive solution! Thanks a lot for explaining it! I'll try to set this up.
Best regards,
Diddy
Old 10-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
azxswq
Connoisseur
azxswq began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1 Black, T2 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefolsom View Post
1. Feeds into Google Reader
2. Google Reader into Calibre
3. Calibre to Dropbox
4. Dropbox web access to the Sony.
Hi, mind if I clarify your steps. (for my own understanding.)

1. Aggregate the different RSS feeds into your own personal google reader.
2. Pull in Google Reader content into Calibre. (How? Is there a function in Calibre?)
3. Since you setup a calibre library on dropbox, you have the file created on dropbox.
4. Dropbox search your files? Why not use Calibre's built in websever to find the file that you created on your computer?

Thank you for such a detailed guide.
(as Kolenka can attest, I am having problem with periodicals, like NY times, being downloaded to my T1 via the new calibre driver that Kolenka is working on. So maybe RSS dump everyday is the way to go?!?)
azxswq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:37 AM   #9
hefolsom
hefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Sure - I hope this helps! In-line:

"1. Aggregate the different RSS feeds into your own personal google reader.

Yes.

"2. Pull in Google Reader content into Calibre. (How? Is there a function in Calibre?)

Yes, there is! This is the neat part. It's in Calibre's News section. Google Reader can be a news source just like anything else. It's already set up as an option; just search for a source called Google Reader (or maybe just reader). There are two options, one for all feeds and one for, um, I forget what. I've been using the "all" option.

"3. Since you setup a calibre library on dropbox, you have the file created on dropbox.

Yes.

"4. Dropbox search your files? Why not use Calibre's built in websever to find the file that you created on your computer?

Oh, I'm not using it for search - just to get stuff onto the web so that I can easily download it without having to physically attach the T1 to my computer. I actually hadn't realized Calibre had a webserver (oops!).

"(as Kolenka can attest, I am having problem with periodicals, like NY times, being downloaded to my T1 via the new calibre driver that Kolenka is working on. So maybe RSS dump everyday is the way to go?!?)

I had trouble with the new driver too. For me, loading stuff onto the T1 via Dropbox meant I could skip Calibre sync and just download from Dropbox's mobile website via wifi instead. Of course, that wouldn't work for a lot of books at once, but for a once-a-day RSS feed dump it's not bad.
hefolsom is offline   Reply With Quote