Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #16
haegar333
haegar333 began at the beginning.

Device: Be-Book
Qt Webkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Qt is a cross-platform application and UI framework. It's what allows Calibre to run on three supported OSs with a consistent interface.
Ok, here was some confusion. The "real" Webkit at webkit.org is a OSX only engine with very good performance. As Calibre is multi-platform its build on a Webkit spin-off based on Qt. Its not surprising that this may lead to performance issues but as said this Qt Webkit is so slow on OSX that its actually useless.
Thus I will better use an external ePub viewer.
haegar333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #17
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by haegar333 View Post
Ok, here was some confusion. The "real" Webkit at webkit.org is a OSX only engine with very good performance. As Calibre is multi-platform its build on a Webkit spin-off based on Qt. Its not surprising that this may lead to performance issues but as said this Qt Webkit is so slow on OSX that its actually useless.
Thus I will better use an external ePub viewer.
Correct. OTOH, I'm sort of surprised that QT is too slow for EPUB viewing on OSX, but acceptable for other aspects of Calibre. The entire interface of Calibre is QT based. I'm not sure why poor performance only shows up on EPUBs for OSX. Regardless, I also have other formats set to open with the viewer I find to be fastest or most useful. PDFs are notoriously bad in the Calibre viewer, but I also use custom viewers for .txt and a few other formats.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert