Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
UK 3G iPad micro SIMs

With Apple only allowing you one micro SIM (and charging 20p!), and tariffs fluctuating as the three operators count down to May 28th, the only sensible option is to get all three SIMs delivered in advance. Can people update this thread as this becomes clearer?

Orange
Shipping from 20th May - set up a direct debit online for £0.00 buy clicking here and selecting buy...

Orange micro SIM

Vodafone
Not sure on the protocol here - this is the one that Apple is sending me. However, start here..

Vodafone Micro SIM

O2
Micro SIMs now available to order - allow up to 14 days for delivery. Details here...

O2 micro SIM

Let's hope the volcano doesn't delay shipments! (as suggested in Guardian Technology this morning).

amjb

Last edited by amjbrown; 05-22-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Updated O2 status
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
they are all awful value though!

dont buy an 'ipad specific' plan buy a regular sim such as the o2 simplicity and pay £15 a month with unlimited data instead.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Error
Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
It's probably worth pointing out that you'll have to cut down a regular SIM card to make it fit the iPad if you go for one of the regular deals, and not everyone will want to do that. And a monthly contract won't suit all users either; I hadn't planned on getting a 3G-enabled iPad because I didn't want to commit to another contract, but the 5p/Mb 'pay for what you use' tariff from Orange changed my mind - and my pre-order

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
It's probably worth pointing out that you'll have to cut down a regular SIM card to make it fit the iPad if you go for one of the regular deals, and not everyone will want to do that. And a monthly contract won't suit all users either; I hadn't planned on getting a 3G-enabled iPad because I didn't want to commit to another contract, but the 5p/Mb 'pay for what you use' tariff from Orange changed my mind - and my pre-order

Pete
yeh they are fair points, I average at least 1GB a month on my iPhone (I travel a lot and stream music and use VNC to connect to home PC)

so that would be £50 a month...

in fact you would hit £15 a month with around 300mb downloaded... thats not much!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
yeh they are fair points, I average at least 1GB a month on my iPhone (I travel a lot and stream music and use VNC to connect to home PC)

so that would be £50 a month...

in fact you would hit £15 a month with around 300mb downloaded... thats not much!
It is ideal for someone who would generally use it at home, but occasionally travel. I ended up getting the Wifi-only option, but the Orange pay as you go option made it a closer decision that it would have been with only monthly charges available.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I don't expect to use 3G for much media downloading - I'm usually within striking distance of WiFi - but I love having my contacts and calendars synced between my laptop and iPhone, and the slight increase on the purchase price and running cost of a 3G iPad is well worth it just for the convenience of keeping the iPad in that loop.

And if it turns out that I use it more, then I can get a new SIM, no problem. Unlikely though - 17 months into an 18 month iPhone contract and my total network downloads stand at 417Mb

As for 1Gb a month on an iPhone - dude, you must live on that thing!

Pete
Old 05-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
I don't expect to use 3G for much media downloading - I'm usually within striking distance of WiFi - but I love having my contacts and calendars synced between my laptop and iPhone, and the slight increase on the purchase price and running cost of a 3G iPad is well worth it just for the convenience of keeping the iPad in that loop.

And if it turns out that I use it more, then I can get a new SIM, no problem. Unlikely though - 17 months into an 18 month iPhone contract and my total network downloads stand at 417Mb

As for 1Gb a month on an iPhone - dude, you must live on that thing!

Pete
yeh that sounds right for you.

I will be away for 4 nights a week and only have an 8gb so I stream music from my home computer using mymusic app and also connect to PC to do bits and bobs using vnc, I also have the sky mobile player.

so yeh actual unlimited data plan is important.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:15 AM   #9
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
Three are also working on a data package according to this webpage

http://www.johnbenson.net/How_to_Con...the_iPad!.html

So I'm going to hold off until I see what they eventually have to offer for mine. They tend to be cheaper than the other networks.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:44 AM   #10
petermillard
Evangelist

Thanks for that - always good to hear about other options

Pete
Old 05-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I've got one of Three's Mifi devices at the moment so I'm not in any particular hurry to choose a 3g option. The Mifi isn't as convenient as an always on option but it'll do until I see what Three have to offer. Vodaphone and Orange provide better coverage for me than o2 but cost far more. Three seem to provide the best coverage in my area so I'm hoping they get going soon.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My iPad has shipped!

And with it the news that Vodafone too can now be enabled dtright from the iPad. That means it is just Orange where you have to dial up to activate.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
petermillard
Evangelist

Mine says order will be shipped when all items are available - maybe the camera connection kit an the case weren't such a good idea...

UPDATE: Had an email this morning to say order now shipped! Yay! Be a hoot if it arrived a day early - actually on my birthday; be just like a real-life episode of Modern Family, lol

Last edited by petermillard; 05-23-2010 at 04:43 AM. Reason: update
Old 05-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
amjbrown
Addict

Quote:
Yay! Be a hoot if it arrived a day early - actually on my birthday; be just like a real-life episode of Modern Family, lol
in the US they were embargoed until the launch day. Although, given the device is no longer top secret, we can but dream...
Old 05-28-2010, 02:11 AM   #15
amjbrown
Addict

Happy birthday for yesterday! I hope yours came, mine did!