Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-22-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Calibre now includes MS LIT converter: lit2lrf

Calibre v0.3.55 now has a Microsoft LIT to LRF converter, named, you guessed it, lit2lrf. It's a thin wrapper around html2lrf which takes care of unpacking LIT files for you.

Note that it will only work on non-DRMed files. Linux users will have to manually install ConvertLit.

Since I don't have any LIT files at the moment, I'd appreciate some testing.

Enjoy.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
aleandre
aleandre began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Cybook Opus, iPad
Hi kovidgoyal,

I am new to Mobileread and to Linux in general, and I use your libprs500 to transfer books from my laptop running Ubuntu to my Sony Reader. Everything works fine apart from some odd error message when I transfer files to the Reader, telling me there was a series of errors during the transfer, but without negative effect in practice (the same happens when I delete files on the Reader via libprs500, btw).

Still, I'm willing to give your new version a go to see what you've changed, but reinstalling libprs500 following the operations on your website still gets me version 0.3.37, not 0.3.55.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something ?

By the way, let this be the occasion to thank you for your fantastic contribution for the cause of Linux and free data exchange in general ! I am (slowly) learning Python, and I can see what amount of work you must have put in this !
aleandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi aleandre,

Welcome to mobileread and to Linux! Hopefully this will be the start of a long and fruitful acquaintance with both :-)

Thanks for the kind words, they're always much appreciated.

To upgrade libprs500 you need the command
Code:
easy_install-2.5 -U libprs500
EDIT: And I should say that you will enjoy Python. Let me recommend ipython as a great tool to ease python development.
Note the -U it means upgrade.

Can you post the error message you get while transferring files, it shouldn't be showing any errors at all.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 06-22-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
aleandre
aleandre began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Cybook Opus, iPad
Thank you for your help, kovidgoyal !

I did what you suggested, and the installation script does indicate I am installing version 0.3.55 :
Quote:
root@Fidelio3-Ubuntu:~# easy_install-2.5 -U libprs500
Searching for libprs500
Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/libprs500/
Reading http://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net
Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/libprs500/0.3.55
Best match: libprs500 0.3.55
Downloading http://cheeseshop.python.org/package...7562ce178082d8
Processing libprs500-0.3.55-py2.5.egg
Moving libprs500-0.3.55-py2.5.egg to /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages
Removing libprs500 0.3.27 from easy-install.pth file
Adding libprs500 0.3.55 to easy-install.pth file
Installing lrf-meta script to /usr/bin
Installing markdown script to /usr/bin
Installing rtf-meta script to /usr/bin
Installing html2lrf script to /usr/bin
Installing prs500 script to /usr/bin
Installing txt2lrf script to /usr/bin
Installing lit2lrf script to /usr/bin
Installing libprs500 script to /usr/bin

Installed /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libprs500-0.3.55-py2.5.egg
I thought I still had version 0.3.27, because, even after the install, that's what the GUI displays...

Now, about this error message, you will find it in the attached file. This happens still after the upgrade, but as I wrote earlier this doesn't seem to impact the results : the books are transfered to the Reader all the same.

Thank you for your mentioning of ipython : I am at the moment using DrPython, and that seems to be what I need just now. I just would like to learn a "modern" programming language to exercise this skill during my free time : not that I've got that much, but I still have fond memories of programming in Pascal and C as a teenager in the 80's-early 90's.

I will try sometimes next week to find a .lit file to transfer to the Reader using libprs500. I understand I should just add it to the library and then transfer it to the Reader like any other file, shouldn't I ?

Regards,

aleandre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Error msg.png
Views:	1353
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	4112  
aleandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Released v0.3.56 with a bugfix. The bug was preventing lit2lrf from picking up the metadata from the lit file.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You have to convert the lit file to an lrf first with lit2lrf. As for that error message, it's pretty weird as far as I can tell it should not be happening, looks like a bug in your python installation. If it doesn't cause any ill effect though, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Released v0.3.62 with a bunch of bug fixes for bugs that crawled in the the previous couple of releases.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:56 AM   #8
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

i am getting the following error on a lit file

it2lrf_wtuzhn/".
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "convert_from.py", line 104, in <module>
File "convert_from.py", line 96, in main
File "libprs500\ebooks\lrf\html\convert_from.pyo", line 1142, in process_file
File "libprs500\ebooks\lrf\html\convert_from.pyo", line 1220, in try_opf
File "libprs500\ebooks\BeautifulSoup.pyo", line 946, in __init__
File "libprs500\ebooks\BeautifulSoup.pyo", line 971, in _feed
File "sgmllib.pyo", line 99, in feed
File "sgmllib.pyo", line 133, in goahead
File "sgmllib.pyo", line 285, in parse_starttag
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 0: ordinal
not in range(128)

any ideas ...
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:47 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Send me the lit file.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:35 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiehill View Post
i am getting the following error on a lit file

it2lrf_wtuzhn/".
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "convert_from.py", line 104, in <module>
File "convert_from.py", line 96, in main
File "libprs500\ebooks\lrf\html\convert_from.pyo", line 1142, in process_file
File "libprs500\ebooks\lrf\html\convert_from.pyo", line 1220, in try_opf
File "libprs500\ebooks\BeautifulSoup.pyo", line 946, in __init__
File "libprs500\ebooks\BeautifulSoup.pyo", line 971, in _feed
File "sgmllib.pyo", line 99, in feed
File "sgmllib.pyo", line 133, in goahead
File "sgmllib.pyo", line 285, in parse_starttag
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 0: ordinal
not in range(128)

any ideas ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Released v0.3.62 with a bunch of bug fixes for bugs that crawled in the the previous couple of releases.
Are you actually running 0.3.62? I had the same sort of error before 0.3.62 and now it seems to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:37 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
kovidgoyal, I do have what seems like an oddity. With 0.3.62, the last line in a paragraph seems to have more spacing between it and the line above. The other lines in the same paragraph look ok. Any idea wjat might be doing it? It does it witht he LIT file I sent you before if you still have it (as an example).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Unfortunately, I don't have that lit file any more send it to me again and I'll take a look, though I can't think of anything that could be causing this behavior.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:15 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@markiehill
It seems this bug is caused by an error in the python std library.
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?fun...&group_id=5470

I'll fix it in the next release of libprs500 for windows and OSX. If you're on linux, you'll have to patch it manually.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:54 AM   #14
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

i have windows so will wait for your release

Thanks for looking

Mark
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:11 AM   #15
Raventhon
Raventhon began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Voyage
kovid: Transferring files via the libprs GUI to a memory card results in the metainformation being removed and the file being renamed libprs500 (or libprs500_2, or libprs500_3, and so on). Transferring files via the GUI to the reader's normal memory does not do this.

Advice?
Raventhon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
libprs500