Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 03:10 AM   #1
PoisonWolf
Enthusiast
PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Just started using the DXG.

Hey folks,

First time poster here! I've been coming back every couple of months over the year just reading on the various ereader devices, ranging from the iRex, etc.

Anyhows, I have just received the DXG, and I must say.....electronic paper is...wow.

I did have a couple of questions though, since I can't seem to find this anywhere in the user guide. When viewing a PDF, and zooming into the PDF, say at 200%, how does one gradually move around the PDF? Whenever I use the joystick to move, it goes all the way to the edge. Isn't there some method to gradually move towards the edge?

I'm guessing the default is for the purposes of saving battery as e-ink battery is measured in page turns.

My second question is borne out of curiosity. Do e-ink screens have "hours" like LCD screens? For example, an LCD TV might have operating hours of up to 30000. I can't seem to find information on the internet as to how long e-ink screens will last.

And finally....are screen protectors necessary (if we assume that I can apply it perfectly)?

Thanks everyone! Reading academic journals (gotta plow through so many of them in a week) on this thing is awesome, except that it would great if the PDF navigation in zoom-in mode would be slower, etc.
PoisonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Unfortunately, although the DXG is supposed to be better for reading PDF files it has a crappy way of doing so. Maybe we will eventually get a firmware upgrade that will bring us up to the standard of the K3 PDF implementation.

Don't know the answer to your second question - time will tell ;-)

I've never bothered with screen protectors for any of my electronic equipment that gets carted round the countryside, just take a little care and if you are worried get a cover. My DX gets to live with multi meters and other tools when not in use and apart from having a soft bag over it it has no other protection.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
cyr0n
cyr0n knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cyr0n knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cyr0n knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cyr0n knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cyr0n knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cyr0n knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cyr0n knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cyr0n knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cyr0n knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cyr0n knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cyr0n knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle DXG
Just press SHIFT and the Joystick together. While not zoomed in you can move around the magnifying rectangle in really small steps. If already zoomed in the steps are larger but in most cases you can reach any text column this way. (works with the "old" DX)

And I would recommend a screen protector. If you drop anything on the screen accidentally or scratch it while you clean it you would regret not to spend that 10 extra dollars. Just make sure to buy a non glaring protector.
cyr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, PoisonWolf

You might also try putting it in landscape mode.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote