Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
See file size before purchase?

Is there any way to see the file size before purchasing a book?

I know it's no guarantee of the quality of the embedded images of a book, but it's at least usually a reasonable proxy. (i.e., if the file size is within an order of magnitude of Amazon's file, the images are probably going to be of similar quality. If the book is only 1 MB and Amazon's is 15 MB, they're probably crap. As I've found out when trying another vendor.)

However, I don't see the file size on Kobo's site. Is there some way to see it that I"m missing?
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you are using the device, open the book details go to the "Details" tab. The file size should be there.

On the site, Kobo usually has the page and word count plus a reading time estimate. They don't show the file size.

You could have a look at the preview. If there is an image in the chapter that is supplied, you should be able to tell what it is like.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2019, 09:23 PM   #3
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Unfortunately I don't have a Kobo device, and the iOS app doesn't appear to have similar functionality.

Not sure I can trust the online preview - Google Play shows higher resolution images than are downloaded in the epub. (Technically, I only checked the sample retroactively, so maybe they were the same and they fixed them after I requested a refund.) Using Kobo Desktop to download samples seems like it might be an option, albeit higher effort than I was hoping for.

Thanks for your thoughts!
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:45 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The iOS app doesn't have the store. It is only a reading app. It does show free books, but nothing else. The Android app does have the store, but, doesn't show sizes. But, the previews will download to them. You should see the images in that. And the same goes for the desktop application.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I wish Kobo would show all the stats everywhere. On the website, you can get the wordcount but it's not displayed anywhere on the device; on the device, you can get the file size, but it's not displayed anywhere on the website. And I agree: low-res photos and illustrations are a terrible problem in ebooks; many older editions still use illustrations that were produced back in the days of people reading with Mobipocket and eReader on Palm OS devices.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert