Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-22-2009, 01:21 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
UK Borders finally opens ebook store

British readers may be interested to know that the Borders UK online webpage at www.borders.co.uk now also sells ebooks in epub format. The claim is for a stock of 45,000 e-titles available, although a quick browse shows less than a few dozen sf and fantasy titles listed. I couldn't spot any specific information stating whether or not the titles being sold had DRM, but the probability is that they do.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Wooohooo! Finally. They currently have a buy one, get one half price sale.

Well, more choice here in the UK is excellent. Hopefully the selection will continue to improve. And in epub.

Well spotted garygibson!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Thats great to have another epub ebook site to complement WH Smiths.
Somehow I don't think they have 45000 available just yet considering there is only 38 Scifi titles and 138 Thriller titles listed but we wait and see.
Prices are not that great except for bargains like Dark Universe for 138GBP
Wow, Wonder how many of them they are going to sell !
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
I have to say that I greatly dislike their website.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
I have to say that I greatly dislike their website.
Agreed. Quite horrible.

Now I'm waiting for a Barnes & Noble UK ebook website ...

Snowman
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Not my favourite website either, but I'm still pleased there's another uk ebook store. And I've seen worse websites too!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
At a quick glance, it looks terrible -- almost as bad as Waterstone's.

Main problem is there doesn't seem to be a proper eBook search. You can enter a title or author in the search bar at the top, then choose to filter by ebook. But, anywhere you go after that, you lose the filter.

Similarly, if you choose eBooks under"Browse by Category", you see an initial display of titles. If you then click on an author's name in that list, you see all their titles, but again without the filter. It's OK if you want to find a specific title, but it's impossible to do a general search or browse on authors, subjects, genres, etc.

In fact, Waterstone's site is even worse. But this seems a close second.

It makes you appreciate the Amazon Kindle store. Once you get there, you can browse and search to your heart's content, and you only see eBooks -- until you specify otherwise.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Well, what annoyed me more was that they apparently don't distinguish between different translations of the same work, pretending that the Dover translation of Don Quixote is the same book in a different format as (say) the Rutherford one (similarly with Dostoevsky), so that clicking on a "different version" of a chosen book might just as easily lead you to a wholly different translation, just as long as it's available in that format. Pretty bad from a dedicated book store, imo.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The big question for me is - why would I buy, say, "Making Money" for £7.99 from Borders UK when I can buy it for $4.07 (£2.60) from Fictionwise?

Come to that - the paperback in the UK is only £5.99!

UK publishers seem to be even more clueless about ebooks than US publishers.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:03 AM   #10
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

What a tragedy. They had an opportunity to create a good UK ebookstore and improve on Waterstones (which wouldn't have been difficult). Well, I plan to email them with my comments.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #11
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Well, I plan to email them with my comments.
You might also include a link to this thread.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
Flashingblade
Enthusiast
Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The big question for me is - why would I buy, say, "Making Money" for £7.99 from Borders UK when I can buy it for $4.07 (£2.60) from Fictionwise?

Come to that - the paperback in the UK is only £5.99!

UK publishers seem to be even more clueless about ebooks than US publishers.
Could not agree more. It's a shame really as if a UK site had decent pricing I think they would get plenty of business as long as their selection was good enough.
Flashingblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Agreed. Quite horrible.

Now I'm waiting for a Barnes & Noble UK ebook website ...

Snowman
Do Barnes and Noble operate in the UK? I've never seen one of their shops in this country.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
Curly
I need a holiday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do Barnes and Noble operate in the UK? I've never seen one of their shops in this country.
No, as far as I'm aware they only have shops in the US.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think it was an oblique reference to forthcoming* country-specific ebook on-line shops by fictionwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
* I seem to recall fictionwise saying that they were trying to get something arranged.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote