Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-28-2008, 04:26 AM   #1
Kaero
Kaero began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Energy consumption of Cybook Gen 3

I did some measurements of the Cybook Gen 3 and calculated some energy consumptions. You can download the result from here:
Cybook_Gen_3_Energy_consumption.pdf

Shortly, one can do only about 3000 page flips for one fully loaded battery. Probably less. And the device is able to be switched on (without pressing any key or automatical switching off) less than 60 hours with firmware 708 or 40 hours with firmware 658.

I would appreciate any commnets (any error of mine is possible ). I would also appreciate any real world data - e.g. if someone counted real page flips (or computed from some book), or measured the time till battery runs out etc.
Kaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaero View Post
Shortly, one can do only about 3000 page flips for one fully loaded battery. Probably less. And the device is able to be switched on (without pressing any key or automatical switching off) less than 60 hours with firmware 708 or 40 hours with firmware 658.
The time for version 708 is stil much less than for version 538 which lasted around 100 hours. This is bad. They probably just adjusted some parameter to raise the time from 40 to 60 hours and did not fix the underlying problem.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
Kaero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The time for version 708 is stil much less than for version 538 which lasted around 100 hours. This is bad. They probably just adjusted some parameter to raise the time from 40 to 60 hours and did not fix the underlying problem.
I can compare 658 and 708, but to calculate the total time I made extrapolation, which is never good. So, first I need some confirmation that my calculations are correct. After this, It would be possible to make such comparison you made with other peoples results.

One of the reasons (beside the fact it was fun ) I did these measurements was the thought: should I switch off the device for 40 minutes, or let it on? And what about 20 minutes long pause between readings? I measured that the processor in sleeping mode for 15 minutes consumes the same energy as the switch off, swtich on and loading a book. So for longer reading pause, it is better to switch off the device completely.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can compare 658 and 708, but to calculate the total time I made extrapolation, which is never good. So, first I need some confirmation that my calculations are correct. After this, It would be possible to make such comparison you made with other peoples results.
Aha, I am testing mine with 708 now (started 00.30 today Saturday) so I will know in a couple of days how long it lasts.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I did some measurements of the Cybook Gen 3 and calculated some energy consumptions. You can download the result from here:
Cybook_Gen_3_Energy_consumption.pdf
Can you redo your measurements without an SD card? The new Gen3 has 512megs of of ram which is definitely enough to not actually need to have an SD card installed. The SD care does eat up extra battery. So getting test results without such would give us a better understanding of how it works. The results with the SD card really are not accurate enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you redo your measurements without an SD card? The new Gen3 has 512megs of of ram which is definitely enough to not actually need to have an SD card installed. The SD care does eat up extra battery. So getting test results without such would give us a better understanding of how it works. The results with the SD card really are not accurate enough.
What do you mean "accurate enough"? The value of 4-5 days we have to compare with is with SD card.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
I was wondering about that... You see, after all the weird keypress issues I had with Build 685, I 'downgraded' to Build 538. And I noticed my battery life increased when I did so.

Well, having Build 705 installed, I've seen no evidence of the keypress issues I had before, but I *thought* my battery life had gone down. Glad to see that I'm not just imagining things.

Granted, 60 hours is still a lot longer than 4 hours - which is what I was getting with my Dell Axim x51v - but I'm no longer getting anywhere near as many page-flips under 705 than I did under 538.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Kaero

Quote:
Aha, I am testing mine with 708 now (started 00.30 today Saturday) so I will know in a couple of days how long it lasts.
without touching the cybook? the most usable info for me would be the on time without even touching the keyboard, but the problem is how you know the device is out of battery? :|

Anyway, ratios (e.g. energy of page up versus energy of start up) of my measurements should be quite accurate. So if I will know some real world value, I can use it to calibration of other results.

Quote:
Can you redo your measurements without an SD card?
Yes, i can redo all measurements. But it takes a lot of time (most of it is the work with data). I was considering to measure without SD card, but I've read few times the card doesn't have influence. So if someone will measure on time with card and without (and it will be different), I will measure everything once again
Old 06-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Unfortunately, I have a 64MB model. Which means that I *have* to have an SD card in order to carry around the number of titles I'm used to... [Sigh].

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:54 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What do you mean "accurate enough"? The value of 4-5 days we have to compare with is with SD card.
I mean if you purchase a new Gen3 now, you'll get one with 512meg which is enough internal memory to carry around a number of eBooks. Using the SD card does take extra power from the battery. So measuring he power consumption without the SD card is a good idea. Even if just to see what the difference is. My 505 can take an SD card, but I don't use one so I can get more life out of the battery.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, i can redo all measurements. But it takes a lot of time (most of it is the work with data). I was considering to measure without SD card, but I've read few times the card doesn't have influence. So if someone will measure on time with card and without (and it will be different), I will measure everything once again
Thank you. That would really show what battery life can be like with the newer model that does not need an SD card.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I mean if you purchase a new Gen3 now, you'll get one with 512meg which is enough internal memory to carry around a number of eBooks. Using the SD card does take extra power from the battery. So measuring he power consumption without the SD card is a good idea. Even if just to see what the difference is. My 505 can take an SD card, but I don't use one so I can get more life out of the battery.
Yes, but that will not help you to compare with previous firmware since the new version does not work with old firmware. I doubt there will be much difference but if I feel curious I will test. Anybody know the typical rest power consumption for an SD card?
Old 06-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How's your test going, Tommy? It's been about 40h so far, hasn't it? What's the battery charge down to?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How's your test going, Tommy? It's been about 40h so far, hasn't it? What's the battery charge down to?
80% so maybe I will get 4 days...
Old 06-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds good!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, consumption, energy