Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #121
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Arbroath is in Scotland.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #122
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I'm not sure whether Mrs Wolf would approve of strange women turning up with patisserie.
She would not mind as long as there was enough for her too.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #123
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Arbroath is in Scotland.
Yes it is and that is where we will be.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #124
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
"Vision" of linoleum? It was the auditory description that I found inescapable.

I confess I enjoyed the pear tarte more, however. I have little patience for "romance" as a literary form, but it seems I like it in small servings.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #125
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
"Vision" of linoleum? It was the auditory description that I found inescapable.

I confess I enjoyed the pear tarte more, however. I have little patience for "romance" as a literary form, but it seems I like it in small servings.
You're absolutely right. "Vision" just popped out.

I, too, am a bit...sensitized...after the last couple of Vera episodes, hilarious though they are. It would be nice if the next one (perhaps with squid, coffee smoothies, and vomit?) was toned down a bit, "romantically" speaking. I have a few ideas but am really hoping that someone beats me to it.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #126
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

He knew he shouldn't have ordered the calamari. Perhaps he'd been trying to impress Vera with his worldly savoir faire, his openness to foreign cuisine... but that had been the wrong restaurant to experiment in, and Vera hadn't needed impressing in any case. She wasn't that kind of woman. He should have known better.

Following up the meal with a coffee smoothie had not helped matters.

He groaned softly, wishing he had done things differently, wishing that he and Vera were out enjoying a moonlit cruise, that he was not spending their first night abroad in an emergency room cubicle. Thankfully, the worst seemed to be past. The IV drip had settled his anguished gastro-intestinal system.

A flutter of movement nearby caused him to peer through tired eyelids. Vera took his hand, and smiled. And as wretched as his body felt, his heart eased to know that he wasn't alone....
Old 03-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #127
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nicely done, neko. I had been wondering how someone in the story was going to eat squid and somehow the thought of, oh, I don't know - how about actually cooking it first? - never entered my mind! Duh.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #128
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

A bit tepid compared to the earlier ventures, perhaps. Thus concludes my first (and possibly only) attempt at writing romance.

(Well, ok, I've written SF and fantasy stories that had romantic elements, but those elements weren't the point of the exercise the way this was.)

I could have had the poor klutz eat ika sushi (raw squid on rice), but somehow the Mediterranean setting appealed to me more. (And I think fewer people probably get sick eating sushi, actually -- Japanese restaurants tend to be pretty scrupulous about freshness and quality, knowing they're already a bit under the lens for serving raw seafood.)

Edit: and as for including "at sea," note that they've missed the cruise as a result of his silliness.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #129
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Arbroath is in Scotland.
Yep - just south from me ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #130
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Neko, given how hot things were going, tepid works just fine for me. I would have loved to have seen a little SF/Fantasy thrown in. Realize that I have no control or desires over any of this. I'm just glad to see a little fun around here and I'm hoping it continues.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #131
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
a worthy contribution, nekokami ! the Passion of the Crust (or the ongoing saga of Vera) continues...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #132
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I would have loved to have seen a little SF/Fantasy thrown in.
I could have gone on to show the next scene, in which he mutates into a giant squid-like being due to the viral contaminants in the genetically modified calamari, and Vera has to get him out to sea and toss him in before he asphyxiates....

Then Vera spends weeks tracking down the GMO lab that tainted the food, in the hopes of discovering the cure, but in the end the best she can do is get herself infected with the same mutagen and dive into the waves herself.

Hm. Maybe it would make a good opera....
Old 03-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #133
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Wait.

Um...you people are doing it wrong.

Squid are not to be eaten! They are meant to be cuddled, watched, worshipped, and offered delicious treats!

*sigh*

just when I thought things were going well....

It should go like this.

Phineas was a squid. An accomplished cephalopod, with a nice bit of coral down near a very trendy trench.

Phineas loved Vera, the lovely redheaded researcher from the 'States who came to observe him and his minions.

Vera loved coffee, pie, and ice cream. In various combinations, they formed the sum total of every meal she had eaten in the past decade. She was fascinated by marine life, but if an amazingly accomplished squid flashed his chromataphores her way, she took no notice.

Phineas loved Vera with a slow, aching passion that made the waters boil, the mad gods of the sea and sky tremble, and the reefs of the world quake.
Vera loved pie.

Pictographic chromatophores are a natural wonder; any squid dedicated enough to plumb the inky depths of sunken U-boats and trawlers to learn the languages of hairy, dry mammals would be lauded on land and sea, made an ambassador for the world.

Vera simply thought the images she saw were cute, even the uncannily-shaped, serifed "V" shape that pulsed and flashed and exploded over one squid's body, expanding, twisting, rolling into a Valentine's heart.

Squid are intelligent, agile creatures.

Humans can be very, very silly.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #134
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
And here is Felicien Rops' watercolour featuring tentacle-based erotica (but an octopus, not a squid).

http://www.artandpopularculture.com/La_Pieuvre
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:59 AM   #135
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
@ Cthulhu : hee ! i was going to say that was an unexpected twist, but looking back i realize Vera *inevitably* had to become involved with some sort of cephalopod... in the universe in which this thread exists, it was her ineluctable destiny.

@ Patricia : hee ! reading the latest installment, this immediately came into my mind (great minds, right ?). although to be honest the squid in that one always seemed kind of scary to me... something about those eyes that makes his expression more menacing than erotic.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birth of the cool, farking and lower farking, hugo and lefty, liseuse, ongoing saga, saga, screaming mad adrian, the birth of the cool, the goose, unutterable silliness, vera