Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
TulseLuper
Connoisseur
TulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with others

Device: kindle touch
Lightbulb Draw Tool experiences

Hi everyone ,

I'm starting this thread because of some lack of information on this Draw Tool.

Since it looks really great, and open a whole new funcionality for the kindle touch concept, I think it's a good point to keep it up.

First of all , Draw Tool appeared for me on Launcher , after installing Titano's gui laucher extensions, about the submenu [hidden features] .

It worked really great and accurate on KT , recognizing including pressure.
As I work with draw and graphics, I love the possibility of turning the Kindle Touch on a Sketchbook aswell . This idea really catches me since I heard of that badasss NoteSlate concept that made some noise last year ...

The e ink contrast is greeeeat for draw , as it looks really material like you're drawing with graphite!

Sad that, I came trough some doubds, that I share here as a debug possibility;

1-

I can't save anything on KT port of the tool from the [save] button .

2-

Just contrast wheell , info , line options and clear are acessible for me at this moment

3-

I can't make a screenshot from inside the tool aswell , seems pressing home will make me get out of the tool ... - [[ How could I get a screenshot on this ? I tried the told way - Home for 2 secs + tap ... - could someone be more instructive here ? maybe I didn't get it right... ]]

4-

After multiple shots of trying to get a screenshot , and after other members talks , I found the tool developer's website with the live tool here http://mrdoob.com/projects/harmony/

I know it maybe is a hard issue , but who knows ? Maybe someone have any answer...

As I'm no developer at all , I leave my short experience on this , here and ask for suggestions, help, or a focus on this, as I think many others would love that as me !

Thanks all mobileread crew!

See ya !

------

UPDATE

Solved the screenshot issue for the moment with titanosīs gui launcher update as you can see down here and here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185562

Thanks Everybody!
some screen tests
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-07-24T16_24_34-0257.gif
Views:	472
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	89683   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-07-24T16_32_38-0257.gif
Views:	442
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	89684   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-07-24T16_36_53-0257.gif
Views:	407
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	89685   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-07-24T17_42_24-0257.gif
Views:	394
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	89686   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-07-24T19_15_30-0257.gif
Views:	3385
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	89688  

Last edited by TulseLuper; 07-24-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: update
TulseLuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
TulseLuper
Connoisseur
TulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with others

From this other thread ;

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=185562&page=2

" Finally i got the screenshots!

For those with the same problem saving images on draw tool you can make a screenshot inside the tool by ;

Pressing home for 2 seconds and with [home] still pressed, click/tap on a free space [or the existing save button]of the toolīs toolbar on the screen for about 1 second, then with home still pressed after 1 sec of the tap, click/tap again on a free space of toolbar mateinning both pressed, THEN RELEASE THE HOME BUTTON but with the free space still clicked/tapped.

This should do the work without getting out of Draw Tool every time you press home - what , avoid you from taking the needed shot.

As usual the screenshots go to /mnt/us and you can check out with that worked , by launching xterm and typing "cd /mnt/us" , ands after "ls" what will list the files on /mnt/us and youll can check with you got a succesful screenshot before plug-in-plug-out the kindle to PC .

"clear" to clear screen
"exit" to get ou xterm

At this moment Icant see the screenshots directly from inside kindle because imgviewr just dont launch for me .

Best wishes! "

" screenshots automatically to /mnt/us/images
Please guys, thereīs some way to get the screenshots automatically sent to /mnt/us/images ?

I have just managed to get image viewer on laucher

- yes , itīs silly , but I couldnīt realize how to make an entry for it on laucher until now [ Witch I did by adding an entry by text editor on hidden features .json ] -

Can somebody help ? Sometimes things get really messy around here...

Thanks ! "

"Maybe someone could write this as a .sh for me ?

Itīs stupid but I canīt realize how to make it right.

"mv /mnt/us/*.gif /mnt/us/images/screenshot"

All I know is that the command works on xterm...

Thanks! "
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Glad you found out how to do it!

P.S. - A way to move the images is on my gui collection thread now.

Last edited by Titano; 07-23-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I make screenshots by copying the framebuffer with dd. IrfanView can read them as a RAW image, then save them as anything. Or you could append them to an appropriate flat ascii PGM header. For the K3 though, they are not perfect, but dpavlin provided a tool in one of his posts to convert K3 framebuffer images to a standard format (but it still needs indexing if somebody finds it).

EDIT: Found and added to Tools index (framebuffer decoder for DX/DXG/K3):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1830729

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-23-2012 at 05:34 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
TulseLuper
Connoisseur

geekmaster ,

For the moment working with the framebuffer is bit to raw for me ... lol

I canīt do much with anything RAW thatīs not a DSLR ... hehehehe ...

Seems for this Iīll have to wait some more

But thanks anyway and letīs wait for someone who can work this out for mortals ...

See ya !!
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
itīs not so tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulseLuper View Post
geekmaster ,

For the moment working with the framebuffer is bit to raw for me ... lol

I canīt do much with anything RAW thatīs not a DSLR ... hehehehe ...

Seems for this Iīll have to wait some more

But thanks anyway and letīs wait for someone who can work this out for mortals ...

See ya !!
You should check the link itīs pretty easy

mkdir ~/GIT
cd ~/GIT
git clone git://github.com/dpavlin/k3libre.git
(if you dont have it sudo apt-get install git) then repeat the last step

output:
Code:
twobob@dev ~/GIT $ ls
k3libre
cd k3libre

now nano ~/GIT/k3libre/pdf2fb.sh

and edit the line

Code:
./pgm2fb.pl page-$page.pgm | nc 192.168.x.xxx 8888 || true
putting your kindles IP where the Xīs are.

and do the same for ~/GIT/k3libre/ssh-screenshot.sh

and edit the lines

Code:
landscape=`ssh root@192.168.x.xxx cat /sys/module/eink_fb_hal_broads/parameters/bs_orientation`

and ssh root@192.168.x.xxx dd if=/dev/fb0 > $name.fb
with the same info.

Couple of caveats,

You will need the access via SSH working to the kindle.

You will need to know the kindles IP in advance, a fixed one in the router is not a bad idea.

Usage: ssh-screenshot.sh

This is from memory, Iīll go check my facts. EDIT: Yep just did this from a virgin install.
Unsure if I had to copy anything to kindle but a quick look at the code seem to indicate an nc call and an eink call, which are both native.

Hope this helps someone.

SIDE NOTE:
I edited my /etc/hosts to simply contain 192.168.x.xx k (this is actually what the OP has set up on the dev box) this is also helpful and you can replace all the ugly IPś with k

One more point. A link to the script is also handy I made one called kss for kindle screenshot.

Looking through the stuff in the REPO you can trigger this via launchpad amongst other functions but this should get you going.

It generally fires up ImageMagick or similar to handle the file, you save it yourself.

EDIT: ADDED XTRA PIC
This is on a kindle 3 Keyboard, I don't have the drawing app Iīm afraid
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	demo.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	89626   Click image for larger version

Name:	output.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	89629  

Last edited by twobob; 07-23-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added itś been tested as working. ADDED XTRA PIC AND KINDLE DEETS
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
TulseLuper
Connoisseur

Red face assuming it can be easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
You should check the link itīs pretty easy

mkdir ~/GIT
cd ~/GIT
git clone git://github.com/dpavlin/k3libre.git
(if you dont have it sudo apt-get install git) then repeat the last step

output:
Code:
twobob@dev ~/GIT $ ls
k3libre
cd k3libre

now nano ~/GIT/k3libre/pdf2fb.sh

and edit the line

Code:
./pgm2fb.pl page-$page.pgm | nc 192.168.x.xxx 8888 || true
putting your kindles IP where the Xīs are.

and do the same for ~/GIT/k3libre/ssh-screenshot.sh

and edit the lines

Code:
landscape=`ssh root@192.168.x.xxx cat /sys/module/eink_fb_hal_broads/parameters/bs_orientation`

and ssh root@192.168.x.xxx dd if=/dev/fb0 > $name.fb
with the same info.

Couple of caveats,

You will need the access via SSH working to the kindle.

You will need to know the kindles IP in advance, a fixed one in the router is not a bad idea.

Usage: ssh-screenshot.sh

This is from memory, Iīll go check my facts.

Hope this helps someone.

SIDE NOTE:
I edited my /etc/hosts to simply contain 192.168.x.xx k (this is actually what the OP has set up on the dev box) this is also helpful and you can replace all the ugly IPś with k

One more point. A link to the script is also handy I made one called kss for kindle screenshot.

Looking through the stuff in the REPO you can trigger this via launchpad amongst other functions but this should get you going.
Great twobob,

But , assuming it can be easy , could you just share some screenshot taken from that way ? Iīd love to see what it could add im terms of quality !

Good job !
Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The quality is WYSIWYG mainly....

In the main it is WYSIWYG.

however some apps like say - err - mine *blush* are a bit cheeky and wash images across the screen utilising the artifacts to their own ends.

others use dithering to the same effect...

Still others just dump their stuff direct...

YMMV but if you work at it you will probably wangle decent results.

Images Attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	calibration.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	89630   Click image for larger version

Name:	bunny.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	450.1 KB
ID:	89631   Click image for larger version

Name:	blackjack.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	89632  
Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The dithering looks horrible on a light-emitting display such as CRT or LCD (as expected) because the gamma is all wrong. It looks MUCH better printed on paper or displayed on eink (especially for MOVING images where your eye follows the motion and the dithering gets mostly "averaged out"...

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-23-2012 at 10:39 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
twobob

Yes I should add that the movie and graphics looked NOTHING like that at all, They looked really good

and the video streaming tech is courtesy of GM - TYVM : )

Last edited by twobob; 07-23-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: added that it looked good
Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
TulseLuper
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
In the main it is WYSIWYG.

however some apps like say - err - mine *blush* are a bit cheeky and wash images across the screen utilising the artifacts to their own ends.

others use dithering to the same effect...

Still others just dump their stuff direct...

YMMV but if you work at it you will probably wangle decent results.

Images Attached.
Cool !

I can see this grain issue . Looks a lot different . If you could possibily take 2 screenshots of the same image from the two diferent ways it would be even better!

Maybe tomorrow iīll read better on how to do this . must be great on draw tool since the tracing itself comes from an calculation maybe like vector ... this would be great for strokes !

see ya
Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #12
TulseLuper
Connoisseur

Some screens tests from draw tool

and yes ! as you can follow back on this thread we figured out a way to get those screenshots alive on KT!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2012-07-23T22_12_55-0257.gif
Views:	367
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	89639   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-07-23T21_40_52-0257.gif
Views:	339
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	89640   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-07-22T18_42_28-0257.gif
Views:	329
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	89641   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-07-23T00_46_29-0257.gif
Views:	326
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	89642   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-07-23T02_32_34-0257.gif
Views:	335
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	89643  

Last edited by TulseLuper; 07-24-2012 at 01:10 AM. Reason: +info
Old 07-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
TulseLuper
Connoisseur

Think this thread from Geekmaster could be useful fo framebuffer purposes :

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162743

Helped me to figure out some things...
Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #14
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
It **could** be possible to alter the save button on draw tool to actually take a screenshot using the built-in functionality.
I did it in Komic.
As draw tool is a WAF, it could be possible.
I currently don't know if draw tool has JS in Kindle or if it uses an external source through wifi.
I don't know it as I don't have my Kindle right now!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
It **could** be possible to alter the save button on draw tool to actually take a screenshot using the built-in functionality.
I did it in Komic.
As draw tool is a WAF, it could be possible.
I currently don't know if draw tool has JS in Kindle or if it uses an external source through wifi.
I don't know it as I don't have my Kindle right now!
It's a web page accessed through the Internet, unless it stores its web pages someone other than /var/local/waf/draw. (Or cached somehow....)
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
launcher add-ons