Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
RRRrrr
RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Touch
Question Kindle Touch Collection Management, Cyrillic Support and jailbreaking

Here is a resume of my problems:
Is there any way whatsoever to manage collection on Kindle Touch?
Is there a way to use Cyrillic on-screen keyboard?

I know this has been discussed a lot...because I have read through a lot of discussions about this and I am yet to find a solution to this problem.
So, how can I manage my collections on Kindle Touch? The best lead I have right now is something I have read about using let's say kindlean (that works with everything but touch) and transferring the collection like they are from another device. Does this work and can anyone give me a guide about this?

I have contacted the Amazon support and they said there is no way whatsoever that doesn't break the license agreement to manage my books from windows. This is...terrible.
Managing them from the device itself would not have been that terrible IF the books that were already assigned to collections didn't appear in the menu for adding/removing books from a collection.
Is there a way to view only the books that have not yet been assigned to a collection when adding them to one?

I...just don't get it. It seems I am stuck with the Kindle Touch because I can't return because I live in a different continent. So, I really need a solution to this problem. Preferably one that does not involve jailbreaking the device. Even if e jailbroke it would I have the opportunity to edin my collections? And what are the cons to jailbreaking? Is the warranty gone/account banned/no more updates/no Internet access etc?
It is just beyond me why they would make a device with 4gb memory when can not possibly manage more than one hundred files/books on it. This is an overkill, to put it lightly. And one due to...I have no idea why anyone would do such a thing? Why not let people manage something easily when it can be fixed in a very simple update?

And here comes the other very important issue I have. It is not a very common one. I need to search through documents written in Cyrillic. I bought the Kindle Touch because it was explicitly said that it supported Cyrillic. Having a Cyrillic on-screen keyboard is commonsense and is extremely simple to do. I was just shocked when I discovered there was no such thing. How is this even possible to oversee this?! It is a manipulation on the border of false advertising.
Is there a way to get a Cyrillic on-screen keyboard?

I appreciate that you read this whole post and I would be thankful if you offered any advice on these problems. I am sorry if this has been previously discussed, and it definitely was, but after spending the last three hours trying to find a solution to this I really needed to make this topic.

Last edited by RRRrrr; 05-15-2012 at 05:46 PM.
RRRrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
Its no problem mate, we have all been there when we used our kindles for the first time.

Here is an easy fix that wont break any license agreements with amazon. Just download kindle for windows. Register it to the same account as that of your kindle. Make collections. Assign books to those collections. Keep the internet on on your PC and wifi on on your kindle. Now copy all these ebooks to your KT in the documents folder.
Hit sync on your kindle. The new collections should be visible now on your kindle alongwith the books in them.

Here is an example of my collections:
1) sci fi Isaac asimov:
2) sci fi robert heinlein
3) Fantasy
4) outlander series
5) Farseer trilogy
6) work docs

Now, I have different books under these collections. Once you create colections from your PC, managing them thru kindle should be easy. I have about 25 collections so far.

Just make sure that you arrange you hoome screen according to collections. I d like to warn you about 2 things though
1) Your books would be visible under collections as well as outside the collections on your kindle. Thats normal and thats the best you can get with kindle
2) You can only create 1 level collections. There cant be multiple levels. e.g. you cant have scifi>asimov>(books). you can only have sci fi>(books).

Also jailbreaking and installing duokan does not void warranty as the kindle can be set back to its default factory settings by hard resetting it. Nobody would know. But do it only if you know how to. Most people (like me) would do it and find no use for it as it ultimately boils down to the fact that Kindle is only supposed to be read from and not meant to be played with like PCs and tabs. Do it to satiate your curiosity. No harm with that.

BTW, what country are you from? Amazon customer service is the best. They replaced my kindle KB with a broken screen free of cost. I was so impressed, I even bought Kindle touch from them and I always buy my ebooks from them to support them. Before the incident I used to pirate a book every once in a while (or remove the drm from ebooks bought from other sources like B&N), but now I NEVER do that. Thats how awesome amazon is...

Hope this helps. Just shoot a question if in doubt or if you need help setting up your kindle for PC for collections...
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #3
RRRrrr
RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.RRRrrr is no ebook tyro.

Thank you
Is there another way to manage collections besides Kindle for windows? And will amazon ban your account if you upload books with removed DRM (in mobi format) to you Kindle via the Kindle for pc? Any long-term damage to this? In other words, how does Amazon deal with piracy and are there any problems about it?

As for contacting Amazon customer service-I don't think there is anything wrong with my Kindle as when I contacted Amazon I was told that Cyrillic on-screen keyboard is not supported at the moment. I will probably need a hack in order to have one. Does any one know of such thing?

PS How can I select more than one book on the Kindle for pc? It seems I am able to select one book at a time I created a collection in Kindle for pc and I can't upload them to my Kindle. I selected the Sychronise option and it didn't do anything.

According to the MobileRead wiki
Quote:
I've scratched up a hack to generate collections from directories. The theory is: use a script to generate json codes use to insert& update collections for current contents in /mnt/us/documents/, use the http://localhost:9101/change port to do the real work. I've made an extension to use the yifanlu's laucher, Here
Directly dealing with /var/local/cc.db might work, but risks should be much higher.
As for bricking your Kindle-is it reversible or permanent?
I read there is a way to install other OS on your Kindle-does this improve reading/Collection Management etc?

Last edited by RRRrrr; 05-16-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:10 AM   #4
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRrrr View Post
I will probably need a hack in order to have one. Does any one know of such thing?
like this one ?
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:13 AM   #5
RRRrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Yes!
The only problem is that I don't know much Russian. I will have to ask somebody to help me with the translation.
Is this confirmed/tested? Can it permanently damage my device?
By the way there is a guy on that forum who claims kindlean now works with Kindle Touch. Is this true?
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23360

Last edited by RRRrrr; 05-16-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Advert
Old 05-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Nothing except for a hardware failure can permanently damage your device. See How to brick my Kindle Touch.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I will have to ask somebody to help me with the translation.
you can use google translator for this purpose like this.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
By the way there is a guy on that forum who claims kindlean now works with Kindle Touch. Is this true?
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23360
no it does not
Old 05-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
RRRrrr

I see.
So, is there a way to manage my Collections on Kindle Touch, even if it involves jailbreaking?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
I see.
So, is there a way to manage my Collections on Kindle Touch, even if it involves jailbreaking?
yes, there is a way
Old 05-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
RRRrrr

I have read the thread before and there are many people saying it doesn't work for them. Is this method confirmed?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
RRRrrr

Bump.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Exclamation

Please DON'T bump your threads after waiting for only 2 hours. If somebody wants to answer, they will. We are not a paid helpdesk.

And, since you're in for experimental features anyway: Why don't you just try it and report back whether it works or not, instead of asking somebody else to do it for you?

Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
RRRrrr

Is it true that HackedUpReader / CoolReader 3 supports directories on your Kindle, directories withing directories included? I know Coolreader 3 supports this, but does HackedUpReader support this as well? Is it completely the same as CoolReader 3?

Last edited by RRRrrr; 05-16-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
ixtab
(offline)

gnaaah.... see my posts above: just goddamn find it out for yourself, and provide the answer here, instead of crying for mommy to tell you.

You sound like a dastard adventurer in the middle age: "I would like to go to Africa, is it safe to go there?" - "I heard somebody was in Africa before, and they saw elephants, will I see elephants if I go to Africa"?

Tags
collections, cyrillyc, kindle, touch, windows