Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #31
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Spot on. Both together would make me want to upgrade. Maybe the T3 will convince me, if there is one...
Same here. I think I would have bought the T2 if they had incorporated the light & higher resolution. As it is I'm waiting to see what others think of the Kindle Paperwhite & Kobo Glo.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:25 AM   #32
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Sony is till one of very few large brands that is available internationally. And by "internationally" I mean including smaller contries, nit just the big markets.
I do think they are falling a little bit behind when it comes to features though. Right now Kobo Glo sounds pretty perfect to me, but time will tell if it's as good as it sounds.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #33
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I'm still very happy with my PRS-650, but eReaders being what they are a sudden drop at the wrong angle could force a need to change at any time (nice Tuf-Luv cover or not). I'm in the UK so the main option at present, assuming I didn't want to switch to Kindle, is Kobo.

So, for those of you who've got both a Sony, with a sizeable ePub library, and a Kobo is the transition seamless? Are there any really irritating disadvantages or nice advantages (other than the light)?

We're getting the Nook store soon as well, I think, so the same question to any of you with both Sony and Nook.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 09-15-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #34
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I'm still very happy with my PRS-650, but eReaders being what they are a sudden drop at the wrong angle could force a need to change at any time (nice Tuf-Luv cover or not). I'm in the UK so the main option at present, assuming I didn't want to switch to Kindle, is Kobo.

So, for those of you who've got both a Sony, with a sizeable ePub library, and a Kobo is the transition seamless? Are there any really irritating disadvantages or nice advantages (other than the light)?

We're getting the Nook store soon as well, I think, so the same question to any of you with both Sony and Nook.

Graham
I can't tell you what it's like to go from Sony to Kobo, my experience was the other way around. I switched TO my T1 a few months ago because my Kobo Touch was full of problems. I have a sizable epub library and use Calibre, and with Kobo Touch it was a 'nightmare'. I've had ZERO problems with my T1. So for me, unless I saw 99% GREAT reviews about the new Kobo, I wouldn't even consider it.

As for the Nook, I'm not sure that's available to Canadians so my only other option would be a Kindle.
Good luck to you.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #35
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Any day now, it seems - 'autumn' launch in John Lewis.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #36
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'm hoping that the next batch of Sony readers out in 2013 will have a glow light. That's the only thing that would tempt me away from my PRS-350s (or their death ). While the Kindle Paperwhite looks like it would be terrific, after using the Sony, I know there's things that I'd hate about a Kindle (tied to .mobi and having to convert everything I currently have to it which I could get around with Calibre, but mostly how collections are handled and the software in general compared to the Sony). I just know I'd end up being disappointed in the Kindle, and I'd chuck it for the first decent Sony with a glow light and good battery life that was available, so I might as well save my money.

If I weren't so extremely happy with my PRS-350s, I might be more tempted by the Kindle Paperwhite. But as things are now, I'm happy to wait to see if Sony comes out with a glow light model next time around.

And no, I don't believe for a minute that the T2s are Sony's last ereaders. We hear that speculation every year from a few.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #37
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Lighting turning up on readers would not be any incentive for me to rush out and replace my T1. But if, for other reasons, I had to replace the reader I would consider it but it would not be a biggie in the decision for me.

I have been reading ebooks for many years on PDAs and more recently smartphones, and they, of course, had lighting. My collection of books is predominantly epub and when I eventually started looking around for a reader the T1 seemed to be the one that would meet my needs at the time and avoided the proprietary ties most others have. Then, purely by chance, I was given a T1 so the choice was made for me.

I had wondered if I would miss the lighting, but I have not at all. Everywhere I read where ambient light levels may be low (bed, planes, boats, etc) there is always a reading light available. While I understand the differences between LCD, etc and E Ink with respect to reading comfort, what I can say from use of PDAs and phones is that it was very important for easy reading in different ambient light levels to be able to adjust the device's light level, and if in the dark, or very low ambient, then to be able to set up the background in a neutral colour (such as sand) for ease of reading. I wonder how well the early lighted readers will handle such circumstances, and is something I would want to assure myself before buying one.

So I have not even considered getting a clip on light as I could not see any advantage for my usage, and meaning just one more thing to cart around, keep fed with batteries, etc.

I have also used audio books for many years (PDAs and then smartphones), and while the T1 does audio I don't use it as a phone is far more convenient, as well as doing the job much, much better. I suspect with the big uptake of smartphones, audio on readers is becoming, for many, redundant, and may be part of the background to the decision to dump it from the T2.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #38
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
I can't tell you what it's like to go from Sony to Kobo, my experience was the other way around. I switched TO my T1 a few months ago because my Kobo Touch was full of problems. I have a sizable epub library and use Calibre, and with Kobo Touch it was a 'nightmare'. I've had ZERO problems with my T1. So for me, unless I saw 99% GREAT reviews about the new Kobo, I wouldn't even consider it.

As for the Nook, I'm not sure that's available to Canadians so my only other option would be a Kindle.
Good luck to you.
Thanks Blue2u.

Let's hope my PRS-650 holds out a while longer.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #39
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Thanks Blue2u.

Let's hope my PRS-650 holds out a while longer.

Graham
You're welcome. I know here in Canada there are some great deals on T1's and even the odd 350 at Walmart [$68 and $48 respectively]. Maybe you could snag something similar in your part of the world since I'm assuming they are being discontinued world-wide? Either way, good luck, I'd be so lost without my ereader.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #40
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
The T2 is will drop to $99 in no time.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #41
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I have and still love my 650. To me it still has the best overall build quality of any of the ereaders out there. That said, yes Sony is falling behind. What were they thinking in not upping the resolution this time around? And for God's sake didn't Sony pioneer the built in lighting technology? For them to be the only player in the game without that this time around is just a darned shame.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #42
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
You're welcome. I know here in Canada there are some great deals on T1's and even the odd 350 at Walmart [$68 and $48 respectively]. Maybe you could snag something similar in your part of the world since I'm assuming they are being discontinued world-wide? Either way, good luck, I'd be so lost without my ereader.
Be VERY careful with those old readers!! My hubby grabbed a 350 from Walmart but it had major, major burn in on the screen. It's going back.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #43
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Hi Blue2u

I just checked on the Walmart website, but the Sony T1 is not there. And I was in one store in my neighborhood (Ottawa) 2 days ago: prices for Q1 is 120$.

Can you tell me where you saw the price you're talking about? I'm (very) interested by the $68!
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #44
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
For those considering a Kobo, I haven't played with the new glow, but I've played with the previous two models. They're okay, I suppose, but they are slow and clunky compared to Sony models. I wouldn't touch a Kobo with a barge-pole.

I also don't want a Kindle. No buttons and selling my reading soul to Amazon is a big I like my platforms open.

At this rate, I might have to start looking at smaller producers like Cybook in the future (the Opus was neat). Mind you, I have several backups ereaders I got from ebay So no hurry. Light and hi-res screen would be nice though
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #45
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
In my opinion Sony is falling behind competitors. Yes I do agree.

I'm interested in comparing a Sony T2 and the new Kindle side by side. Both should use the same EInk basis. But in case of Kindle there are 2 additional transparent layers (touch-layer & light-layer) on the screen which could degrade the contrast when using no backlight.

On the other hand:
Is it necessary always having the newest product?

In the light of the global financial crisis and rising social problems I regard this a minor question and the answer for me is a clear 'no'. 'Older' models from Sony (up from PRS X50) are great products - using them 2 or 3 years longer will do no harm. Inbetween new technology can develop. Larger screens, higher resolution and light are of course key features for an eReader.

But selling my privacy to Amazon is no option, at least for me. Sony (actually this is a conundrum) goes the other way - reason enough to wait for future models.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote