Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I won't buy any books I can't strip DRM from because I want the option to format shift,...

I can remember the days when all I bought were LIT format books because the others were locked up tight.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:27 AM   #32
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

I can remember the days when all I bought were LIT format books because the others were locked up tight.
Good ole lit!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I've been dreading the day when the tools stop working, looks like that day is near.

I won't buy any books I can't strip DRM from because I want the option to format shift, so my choices will shrink or I'll end up a pirate.
What's the big deal? Just download to your Kindle instead of K4PC and strip the DRM from that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #34
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
I've been dreading the day when the tools stop working, looks like that day is near.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's the big deal? Just download to your Kindle instead of K4PC and strip the DRM from that.
Unless Amazon push through another firmware update like they did with the 2.5 on the Kindle 2 which changed the original serial number -> PID -> decrypt scheme, which took several months before anyone figured out how the new method worked.

It was during that limbo period of no longer having working actual hardware Kindle tools and the K4Mac ones being totally non-existent that helped me decide that Amazon would not be my preferred e-book retailer to spend money at.

Nowadays the hacks no longer block the auto-updates coming over the wireless, so if they decide to do that, then that portion of the tools would become useless for everyone with a newer model Kindle (who doesn't live with the wireless off).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Nowadays the hacks no longer block the auto-updates coming over the wireless, so if they decide to do that, then that portion of the tools would become useless for everyone with a newer model Kindle (who doesn't live with the wireless off).
It's true. Everything has always been one update away from not being able to work anymore. Period. That's why (if you choose to buy DRMed material) it's so important to not wait until it's too late to liberate it. And the "well there's always the 'other' method" is a false sense of security. Amazon could pretty easily keep one step ahead of the "tools" if they decided to make that a priority of theirs.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #36
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's the big deal?
ATDrake and DiapDealer covered it. Any or all firmware and software updates by Amazon (or others) can break the tools. Someone will eventually create new methods of cracking DRM, but once the hassle factor of tracking down reliable tools to strip DRM becomes more work than downloading DRM-free pirated books, I'll be out of the DRM stripping game.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #37
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's true. Everything has always been one update away from not being able to work anymore. Period. That's why (if you choose to buy DRMed material) it's so important to not wait until it's too late to liberate it. And the "well there's always the 'other' method" is a false sense of security. Amazon could pretty easily keep one step ahead of the "tools" if they decided to make that a priority of theirs.
Excellent post. That is why I liberate immediately.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #38
NightGoat
Connoisseur
NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle Oasis, DXG, and Kobo Aura One
Quote:

I won't buy any books I can't strip DRM from because I want the option to format shift, so my choices will shrink or I'll end up a pirate.
Same here, I was having a bit of a struggle stripping Nook Books... haven't bought one in almost two years.

If I'm going to lay my money down, I want to keep what I purchased should my relationship with company x go sour... I've lost too many shirts to past girl friends. I know what it feels like.
NightGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #39
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The version available for download still appears to be 1.8.3. I assume 1.9 is just being pushed out to a select few?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The version available for download still appears to be 1.8.3. I assume 1.9 is just being pushed out to a select few?
I get 1.9.0 by using the download link on Amazon's website. I do think it might be Windows only at this point... but I could be wrong about that.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #41
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
There is a website that provides old versions of most popular programs. Just search for "old versions ". A handy place to visit in case you get burned in situations like this.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #42
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I get 1.9.0 by using the download link on Amazon's website. I do think it might be Windows only at this point... but I could be wrong about that.
Third time's the charm apparently. Finally I have 1.9.1. However, where does it say it supports KF8 (as was stated earlier in this thread)? Because it doesn't, as far as I can tell. It won't even open a .mobi file that was created by the latest version of kindlegen.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Third time's the charm apparently. Finally I have 1.9.1. However, where does it say it supports KF8 (as was stated earlier in this thread)? Because it doesn't, as far as I can tell. It won't even open a .mobi file that was created by the latest version of kindlegen.
It doesn't say anywhere that I know of. But my version certainly loads KF8 mobis built by the latest Kindlegen. That's how I know it supports KF8. My version is 1.9.0 though, maybe they've changed something in 1.9.1.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 AM   #44
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It doesn't say anywhere that I know of. But my version certainly loads KF8 mobis built by the latest Kindlegen. That's how I know it supports KF8. My version is 1.9.0 though, maybe they've changed something in 1.9.1.
Did you try to load any of the KF8 sample files? Those are what I tried. My Kindle Touch will load the sample files (or any other Kindlegen output), but just the mobi segment, not the KF8 segment. I assume you verified you're seeing KF8 properties, not just mobi.

But with K4PC, nothing happens (no errors, no results). Also I tried to download a KF8 from archive (fixed layout KF8). It said 'not supported in this version'. My conclusion is that it doesn't support KF8, or that they found problems and 1.9.1 removed whatever support they had.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Did you try to load any of the KF8 sample files? Those are what I tried. My Kindle Touch will load the sample files (or any other Kindlegen output), but just the mobi segment, not the KF8 segment. I assume you verified you're seeing KF8 properties, not just mobi.
Absolutely. I've got content I've built with the new kindlegen that I'm definitely seeing the KF8 version of. Using the KindlePreviewer and switching between emulating the Kindle Fire and emulating a regular Kindle... it's easy to see the KF8 differences. I'm seeing the KF8 version (drop caps, right margins, and embedded fonts) with Kindle for PC v1.9.0.

EDIT: You're partly right though, double-clicking a mobi built by the the new kindlegen doesn't seem to open it in K4PC. K4PC opens, but there's no new book in the library. I had to place the book in the "My Kindle Content" folder. Then when I open K4PC the next time, the new book is there.. and it's definitely KF8, I just verified. Plus after deleting and re-downloading books from my archive, I've found a few that have obviously been updated to KF8, as well.