Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Kindle allows for book sharing on linked acnt

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/19/m...ut-the-kindle/

Quote:
You can bind five or six devices to a single account, and share books you've purchased to those accounts. There's no simultaneous reading lock, so if you and your significant other are on the same Amazon account you can both read the same book at the same time on your Kindles.
That's sexy

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Would something similar work with Sony Connect?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Would something similar work with Sony Connect?
Sure - it does work. You can register up to 5 Readers on the same Connect account and share books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sure - it does work. You can register up to 5 Readers on the same Connect account and share books.
I thought so. I just couldn't remember for sure.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Right, but only the Kindle devices can read the books. Not a PC.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Right, but each PC is considered a device. So, if you wanted to have 6 readers in seperate states you can't do it... you would be limited to basically 3 readers. Of course, if all the readers are in the same household and could all sync to the same PC, then that would work with Sony.

With Kindle... they can be geographically disperesed and still work. I would only have had to buy 1 copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for the family rather than the 5 we bought.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Only problem is that J K Rowling will not allow the books to be published electronically. I hope she changes her mind.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
She is worried about piracy if her books are released electronically. Talk about being out of the loop.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:34 PM   #9
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
Right, but only the Kindle devices can read the books. Not a PC.
Having read a few books a my laptop in the old days, I can say that is not an issue. Since the Sony I would not even consider the eyestrain inducing read on any LCD or CRT device. So in that respect the Kindle is a bit better.

You could buy your whole family Kindles for XMas and they could all share their books, even if they live in another part of the world (assuming they have internet).

OK, now we will all be deluged with European folks who want us to buy them, send them, and share books. <g>
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:33 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Right, but each PC is considered a device. So, if you wanted to have 6 readers in seperate states you can't do it... you would be limited to basically 3 readers. Of course, if all the readers are in the same household and could all sync to the same PC, then that would work with Sony.

With Kindle... they can be geographically disperesed and still work. I would only have had to buy 1 copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for the family rather than the 5 we bought.

BOb
They can be geographically dispersed with the Sony too. All you'd have to do would be to download the file from one PC, and then e-mail it (or whatever) to the owners of the other Readers.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:55 AM   #11
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Only problem is that J K Rowling will not allow the books to be published electronically. I hope she changes her mind.
Well, i heard that this is not entirely true. She seems to be willing to publish electronically, but from what i heard, she wants an astronomically large sum up front, which probably could never be earned today, even with Harry Potter ebooks.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
They can be geographically dispersed with the Sony too. All you'd have to do would be to download the file from one PC, and then e-mail it (or whatever) to the owners of the other Readers.
I wasn't aware of that. So clarify, if the reader of the second user is registered to the same account then the downloaded file will work on it? But the other PC that they are synching with doesn't need to be registered?

Still alot more work then the Kindle... which I would get if I didn't already have the Sony. I will still get a Kindle if they are still going strong and the price goes under $200.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #13
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Well, i heard that this is not entirely true. She seems to be willing to publish electronically, but from what i heard, she wants an astronomically large sum up front, which probably could never be earned today, even with Harry Potter ebooks.
As if she wouldn't own enough from royalties afterwards .. Oh well, whatever.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:04 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I wasn't aware of that. So clarify, if the reader of the second user is registered to the same account then the downloaded file will work on it? But the other PC that they are synching with doesn't need to be registered?
That's right. All you need a PC to be registered for is to buy books - not load them onto the Reader.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
This is the first time I've heard that. Do you remember where you read or heard it?

I like the idea of everyone in the family being able to read off the same account, but the Kindle is too pricey for my family. And since they still don't have much in the way of books for kids, half my family wouldn't be interested anyway.

I'm very happy with my iLiad, but apart from that, the DRM and the fact that Amazon retains the right to examine what's on the device at any time kind of put me off. The Kindle could still end up being quite popular, but it's not the right device for me.

I wonder if part of the reason for the restrictive Kindle-only DRM was because they were worried about making back their hardware investment... if so, it would seem that they didn't need to worry about that after all.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote