Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Search Script

Is it possible to create a script to search for an author automatically from FantasticFiction's site?. I.E. Highlight an author, right mouse click, search Fantasticfiction for "Ben Bova", like Google.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
That should be no problem. Do you think you could make do with a firefox search plugin? Because I could fix one for you, if you're interested.

I made this bookmarklet, it should work with Firefox 3.0.
Create a bookmark in your bookmarks toolbar: right mouse button click->New bookmark and copy the code below into the location and Add.
Then if you highlight an author on a page and click on the bookmarklet it should take you to the search results on fantastic fiction.

Code:
javascript:var%20sl=sl(window.getSelection().toString());document.location.assign('http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/search/?searchfor=author&keywords='+sl);
If you would still prefer the firefox search plugin, let me know.

Last edited by Abelturd; 03-28-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
That should be no problem. Do you think you could make do with a firefox search plugin? Because I could fix one for you, if you're interested.

I made this bookmarklet, it should work with Firefox 3.0.
Create a bookmark in your bookmarks toolbar: right mouse button click->New bookmark and copy the code below into the location and Add.
Then if you highlight an author on a page and click on the bookmarklet it should take you to the search results on fantastic fiction.

Code:
javascript:var%20sl=sl(window.getSelection().toString());document.location.assign('http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/search/?searchfor=author&keywords='+sl);
If you would still prefer the firefox search plugin, let me know.
Thanks very much a plugin would be great
Old 03-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Here you are, the promised plugin. It searches for author. If you'd rather search for books just open the file in notepad and change the value="author" to value="book" and save.

Copy the xml file to "c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\", that is if you haven't changed the default installation directory for FF. Restart Firefox and you're ready to go. I even added favicon, my own design.
Let me know how it works.
Attached Files
File Type: xml fanfiction.xml (696 Bytes, 420 views)
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
Gibbo
Guru

Quote:
Here you are, the promised plugin. It searches for author. If you'd rather search for books just open the file in notepad and change the value="author" to value="book" and save.

Copy the xml file to "c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\", that is if you haven't changed the default installation directory for FF. Restart Firefox and you're ready to go. I even added favicon, my own design.
Works great my friend.
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Excellent job. Works like a charm.

Thankyou,

WDE.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 03-28-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:

Copied it to:
c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\
Restarted FF 3.x
Googles for king.
Highlight King on any page, right click on it....and? No mention of fantasticfiction.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Oh, I just choose FF as search engine and it works!
I have never used search engine before.
Thanks a lot.
Very useful feature!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote