Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
Magnum6
Magnum6 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
completely bricked, tried all the tricks, but still have USB access

After transferring some files via usb to the PRS500, the screen stayed on the USB connection image. Waited an hour for it to finish...nothing. I did a soft reset - the device gets to the "Starting up..." screen, then freezes. I did the hard reset - no luck. I did the hard reset 10 times - no luck. I updated to the new firmware just released a few days ago - no luck, but it did install. This seemed odd, so I checked the Connect software. I can still connect to the reader, and add/delete books and play lists. But I can never get the reader to make it through the startup screen. It's not battery as I have had it plugged in the entire time.

So, my last effort is to send it to Sony. I have only had it 5 weeks, so it is within warranty. But, I can't find my receipt so it is questionable if they are going to honor the warranty. Any other last words of advice before sticking this thing in the mail? Any files I could try to delete using libprs500 that might be causing the hangup?

Last edited by Magnum6; 08-08-2007 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Magnum6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
remove all the files in /Data/media/books and /Data/database/cache/media.xml
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Magnum6
Magnum6 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
So easy. So simple. And my device is working again now! Sony should outsource tech support to you!

I'm sending another donation to your LIBPRS500 site. You saved me a lot of time and frustration as I had just opened the warranty request from sony & was about to stick this thing in the mail this afternoon.
Magnum6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Glad I could help
And thanks for the donation.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote