Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #31
tyke99
tyke99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Now working fully.

Here's what I did. I converted a book in Calibre then copied it from the Calibre library the Kindle, the iPhone and the iPad (using iPhone Explorer for the latter two), went through the switching off and on procedure on the latter two and Bingo - success.

Thanks for your help.
tyke99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #32
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
I Downloaded the iPhone folders program, but it says it will not work with Windows 7 64 bit.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #33
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Fantastic, it works! And you don't need to jailbreak your phone, just use iPhone Explorer. Copy it into Library/eBooks.

Thanks Andy
Hi neonbible,

I just downloaded & installed iPhone Explorer. When I access my iphone, I don't have a folder Library/eBooks. Any idea what's wrong? I have an iphone 3GS v4.2.1.

Carol
Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #34
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Hi neonbible,

I just downloaded & installed iPhone Explorer. When I access my iphone, I don't have a folder Library/eBooks. Any idea what's wrong? I have an iphone 3GS v4.2.1.

Carol
When you open iPhone Explorer, expand Apps and look for com.amazon.lassen, this is Kindle. Expand and you will find Library/eBooks in there.

Just a word of warning iPhone Explorer is extremely unstable sometimes takes me a few attempts to get files on there!
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #35
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
When you open iPhone Explorer, expand Apps and look for com.amazon.lassen, this is Kindle. Expand and you will find Library/eBooks in there.

Just a word of warning iPhone Explorer is extremely unstable sometimes takes me a few attempts to get files on there!
What operating system are you using? I tried it on Win 7 and Vista and now the program won't even open for me. Yesterday I did get it to open, but I couldn't expand the com.amazon.lassen folder.

Carol
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #36
sadievan
Wizard

OK. Finally got iPhone Explorer to work.

For anyone else having trouble, maybe this will help you. Had to install on my Netbook which is running Win 7 starter 32 bit. I could install on my Win 7 64 bit laptop and sometimes it would let me expand the folders, but it would not let me add files on the 64 bit laptop.

Another thing I had to do to be able to even expand the folders on both machines is just before I would double click to open the folder, I had to go to edit\preferences and 'uncheck' the second option to 'allow access to 'read-root' if iphone is jailbroken. After I unchecked that, it would let me expand the folder. I had to go back and do this for each folder I wanted to expand.

FWIW, I also got it to work on an old laptop running Win XP.

Also, after disconnecting my iphone, I had to double click the 'home' button and take it out of the running programs before the book would show up.

Don't know why I couldn't add books in iPhone Explorer on my Win 7 64 bit machine.

Hope this helps someone.

Carol
Old 02-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #37
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyke99 View Post
HELP!

I can't get this to work at all. I've used this to copy books to an iphone and an ipad and put books in the ebooks folder as above, using iphone explorer on a Mac (as well as on my Kindle) but when I open Kindle on the iphone or ipad, the books are just not there.

Can anyone help me and tell me where I'm going wrong please?
Was your Kindle app running in the background when you added the book.

After disconnecting my iphone, I had to double click the 'home' button and take it out of the running programs before the book would show up when I reopened the Kindle App. I didn't need to shut down and restart.

Carol
Old 03-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #38
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
iPhone Explorer was not working so I used iPhone folders instead. Found the Kindle app and per instructions found the Library/ebooks folder.

Kindle app 2.6 was not running when I loaded the book into the above folder. When I touch the Kindle app icon it opens up and then immediately closes out. Has anyone else experienced this and what could be the issue. I am trying to load a mobi file onto my iPhone. I removed the book and then Kindle app opened just fine.

In addition, the current book I am reading is not an Amazon purchased book and I noticed that sync to furthest page is grayed out.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by chilady1; 03-01-2011 at 10:33 PM.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Load your book via iTunes - you can load any DRM-free Mobipocket book into the Kindle App. Syncing is only available for Amazon-purchased content unless you use a tool like Calibre to add extra metadata to the book to fool Amazon's servers into thinking that it is an Amazon book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #40
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twonk View Post
Thanks from me too!

I've never been able to get iPhone Explorer to work - always crashes out with one error or another. However DiskAid works very well. (It isn't free but there is a time limited trial version).
Thanks to Twonk for posting about DiskAid. I couldn't get iphone Explorer or iPhone Folders to work either.

I did download the trial version of DiskAid and it worked. A note though for anyone else using this program. Go to 'Preferences\advanced and check off 'show root path for Apps' and your good to go.

Carol
Old 11-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #41
Bookie T
Bookie T began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
For those of you trying to open a mobi file on iPhone you have to do a few things- register for free accounts with drop box (2.0 GB free storage, large for book files, and you get more for referrals) and an amazon account. There is a drop box app (free) that you can have on your phone then also on your pc where you can share files between devices. Then the Kindle app (free) allows you to open and read mobi files.

They both require register to an email address. You can download mobi files to your drop box, use the app on your idevice, then it has an icon similar to the email forward icon on the bottom right corner. It will then transfer it to the kindle app. I also had friends email me mobi files then used my drop box app to download and transfer them to kindle. Not sure if ebooks works on the iPhone, but I do know that the Stanza-a supposed app that accepts mobi files, and the iBooks apps (both free) won't work. Either they are not compatible with drop box or do not run mobi files.

Last edited by Bookie T; 11-10-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Bookie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:41 PM   #42
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookie T View Post
For those of you trying to open a mobi file on iPhone you have to do a few things- register for free accounts with drop box (2.0 GB free storage, large for book files, and you get more for referrals) and an amazon account. There is a drop box app (free) that you can have on your phone then also on your pc where you can share files between devices. Then the Kindle app (free) allows you to open and read mobi files.

They both require register to an email address. You can download mobi files to your drop box, use the app on your idevice, then it has an icon similar to the email forward icon on the bottom right corner. It will then transfer it to the kindle app. I also had friends email me mobi files then used my drop box app to download and transfer them to kindle. Not sure if ebooks works on the iPhone, but I do know that the Stanza-a supposed app that accepts mobi files, and the iBooks apps (both free) won't work. Either they are not compatible with drop box or do not run mobi files.
Stanza doesn't read mobi.

But you can just open mobi email attachments with Kindle4iOS, or from web sites with mobi download (gutenberg, feedbooks etc.). Dropbox is a good option as well, though. Amazon will be updating the Kindle apps to use the Personal Documents service, which will be the best alternative of all since it does syncing.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #43
hoyasaxa
Shardbearer
hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3 3G
Talking

EDIT: While this did make the sync icon usable again, it has not been successful in actually synching my books across devices. My K3 and K4PC both think they are at the furthest page read, even though my iPhone is well beyond them both. Not sure what to do at this point. I re-converted the books hoping that would solve the problem, but it didn't.
________

Thank you for this!!

In iOS 5.0 (no jailbreak) this worked perfectly. Just had to navigate to apps/com.amazon.Lassen and move them to Library/eBooks. The only thing that threw me off at first was for whatever reason in iExplorer I wasn't being allowed to type in a path name, so I had to use the directory tree on the left. Thanks for the save.

Last edited by hoyasaxa; 12-12-2011 at 06:27 PM.
hoyasaxa is offline   Reply With Quote