Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #541
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
"Touch only is not a second rate solution. In fact, I think it's better then buttons. Buttons are second-rate. Buttons can wear out before the touch screen stops working. "

I can hold my 650 in my left hand and move back and forth using just my thumb on the buttons. Can't do that with any touch screen. Sure buttons can wear out and software locks up so that touch screens are unresponsive. I want buttons.

I wandered up to Indigo earlier this year to look at the glow and the mini. I came away very underwhelmed. Aside from the lack of buttons, I found the lighting across the display of the glow to be noticeably uneven. But what I found far worse was the cheap quality of the alleged white leds. For those who don't know, white leds are simply solid state fluorescent lamps. They are blue leds with a white phosphor. Cheap white leds have a very this phosphor coating with the result that have a very distinct blue cast. All the Kobo units had cheap white leds. They are simply rubbish. There will be no front lit reader in my future based on what I've seen so far.

At 8", this is the same size as my unlamented Pandigital. It is a nice size for reading. The resolution is ideal. I would love to see this in a good reader.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #542
savbeowulf
Enthusiast
savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD Ivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Regarding Mr. Alf and his mighty works, I managed, despite my desperate lack of tech ability, to muddle my way through to installing and using same fairly happily (just having attacks of panic every time I had to update versions!).
However, I then was talked into getting Win 8..........

I managed to install Alf's art eventually, but despite trying, wasn't successful in getting it working as it should. I find 8 cumbersome and counter-intuitive - but it's probably just me and my fading grey cells.....
I'm afraid I gave up in frustration - but am now girding me lions (loins as well) for another attempt. A looming hospital incarceration has spurred me on .....

Is there a kindly soul out there vastly more adept than me (not difficult), who has been successful with Alf & Win 8 who could help me out ? Via PM's if need be .................

P.S. Sad to say, you won't be surprised to learn I hate Win 8, despite rumours of some users actually liking it. I don't think my brain was in the right line when it came to dishing out tech no-how and adaptability ....
Hi

If rumours be true then your in luck because it has been reported that in windows blue or 8.1 whichever it ends up being called there will be an option to go back to a desktop with a start (windows) button doing away with the nasty tiles! If this doesn't pan out you can always go back to windows 7 via microsoft (ask google for more info) I would say downgrading but I think win 7 is better. I think MS have had a lot of people asking to get rid of the tiles I hate them too have worked on a few win 8 machines and will not be upgrading any of my own machines anytime soon.
savbeowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #543
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
I can hold my 650 in my left hand and move back and forth using just my thumb on the buttons. Can't do that with any touch screen. Sure buttons can wear out and software locks up so that touch screens are unresponsive. I want buttons.
I can hold my 650 in my left or right hand and use my thumb to give a quick swipe. Works very well. Because of the swipe, I'm able to do this left or right unlike those Readers that require a tap that have tap zones.

Quote:
At 8", this is the same size as my unlamented Pandigital. It is a nice size for reading. The resolution is ideal. I would love to see this in a good reader.
The Aura HD is not 8 inches. It's 6.8 inches.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #544
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by savbeowulf View Post
Hi

If rumours be true then your in luck because it has been reported that in windows blue or 8.1 whichever it ends up being called there will be an option to go back to a desktop with a start (windows) button doing away with the nasty tiles! If this doesn't pan out you can always go back to windows 7 via microsoft (ask google for more info) I would say downgrading but I think win 7 is better. I think MS have had a lot of people asking to get rid of the tiles I hate them too have worked on a few win 8 machines and will not be upgrading any of my own machines anytime soon.
Lol, we have windows 8 on 3 machines and can't remember the last time I saw the "tile screen". Use it just like Windows 7, only faster and safer. Think of Windows 8 as Windows 7 with an add-on for touch screens for those who need it, hidden away for those who don't. Don't install programs for "Windows 8", except Netflix, Skype, etc. Those who don't want the Metro UI virtually never have to face it --- or use it as quick "scroll-through" replacement of the old menus only. Really no change. Yes, direct boot up to the desktop would be nice. But saving 20 seconds on bootup time and then having spend an extra second to hit the desktop tile to get there? Sorry, I can't get all worked up about those changes.

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-24-2013 at 11:24 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #545
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Anybody who bought the Espresso reader went with the Onyx cover? I really wanted to get the Espresso colour for both but I think I will just stick to Onyx as I have to order both to make use of my Staples coupons

Edit: Or should I get the Espresso and the Onyx cover and sell the cover later to get the Espresso one when it is available?
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #546
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Thrasher:

In the sartorial world, the conventional wisdom is that black and brown are a questionable combination. I personally never wear black shoes with a brown suit or vice versa, so I'll be attempting to use a legacy leather pocket case until the Espresso SleepCover comes back in stock. One advantage to devices and bezels growing thinner is that pocket cases become increasingly capacious.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #547
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
On the subject of the Aura's processor: It turns out to be exactly the same as the Glo's. Here's the note I received from someone who travels Europe representing Kobo (they just got back):

Quote:
We brought your questions to Sameer Hasan, Director of Product Development, Devices and he gave us the scoop.

The Kobo Aura HD and the Kobo Glo have the same 1Ghz processor: Freescale I.MX507. This means that both the Kobo Aura HD and Kobo Glo have a 25% faster processor than competitive products.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-25-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #548
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Thanks for the reply Prestidigitweeze! I really want to get the non-traditional brown version instead of black. I will probably end up selling my black case and buying a brown one when it gets back in stock.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #549
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
JSWolf said
I can hold my 650 in my left or right hand and use my thumb to give a quick swipe. Works very well. Because of the swipe, I'm able to do this left or right unlike those Readers that require a tap that have tap zones.

I have to swipe my thumb half way across the screen of my 350 to get the pages to turn. If I do that I drop it. Buttons work much better.

I cannot get the touch screen menus on the 350 to work half the time with my finger. I have to use the stylus. That a pain

Are you saying you just tap the Kobo readers to the pages to turn. I would like to try one of those.

Last edited by Gardenman; 04-25-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #550
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post

I have to swipe my thumb half way across the screen of my 350 to get the pages to turn. If I do that I drop it. Buttons work much better.

Are you saying you just tap the Kobo readers to the pages to turn. I would like to try one of those.
Yep - you can tap in (somewhat configurable) tap zones, or you can swipe anywhere, which means you can operate it left handed. No need to swipe halfway across the screen - I haven't measured it, but you only need - about a centimetre, I think? - of swipe.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #551
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Yes, Kobo readers accept either tap or swipe on screen for page turns. Customizable as to which side of the screen you want as forward, which as back for tapping.

Beat to the punch by Meera!
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #552
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Anyone can buy at Kobo New Zealand :-) Come over for an e-visit and pick up some cheap books!
wrong. Wherever you are, if you type kobo.com, you'll be indeed directed to kobobooks.com, but this is always a LOCAL page. For me, living in Spain, it shows mostly spanish books (although the text of the webpage is in english). I cannot access kobo CA , kobo Uk nor kobo USA, and neither can you. Not only that, but you are then only shown a selection of books available for your country. There are many, many english or american ebooks that are for instance available for me at amazon.es but that are not at kobo.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #553
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
The size and the screen sure sound good. The lack of folder view would most likely be a deal killer for me. Thats the way I organize things.

Last edited by Gardenman; 04-25-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #554
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Anybody who bought the Espresso reader went with the Onyx cover? I really wanted to get the Espresso colour for both but I think I will just stick to Onyx as I have to order both to make use of my Staples coupons

Edit: Or should I get the Espresso and the Onyx cover and sell the cover later to get the Espresso one when it is available?
You might get away with the white reader and either a black or a brown cover. But brown and black really don't mix.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #555
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
The size and the screen sure sound good. The lack of folder view would most likely be a deal killer for me. Thats the way I organize things.

I'm kind of amazed people spend time organizing books on their reader. I throw them all on there and search when I need to. I carry about 300 books around.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote