Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Don't read a lot of series, but immensely enjoyed Harry Potter.

Currently enjoying the Wallander series from Henning Mankell also right now.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #17
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
Lawrence Block's Keller books. He's writing #5 I guess you can count that as a series right?
If you run out of Keller books, try Max Allen Collins Quarry series.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Current favorites:

Vorkosigan Saga - Lois McMaster Bujold
Liaden Series - Sharon Lee and Steve Miller
RCN series - David Drake
Aubrey/Maturin Novels - Patrick O'Brian (just getting started on these, but really enjoying the writing.
Not the RCN series. I got bored with it a couple of books in. But the other three? Definitely. And add the Prince Roger series by David Weber. Shorter than the Honor Harrington series, and just plain fun.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I like those, and his Bernie Rhodenbarr "burglar" series too.

BTW, I looked to join up lendle.me as per your sig, but it is US only. Maybe one day...
His Bernie Rhodenbarr series is on my TBR list lol.

Aww, hopefully the lending of Kindle books can soon be open to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
If you run out of Keller books, try Max Allen Collins Quarry series.

Helen
Ooo thank you for the recommendation
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #20
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Not the RCN series. I got bored with it a couple of books in. But the other three? Definitely. And add the Prince Roger series by David Weber. Shorter than the Honor Harrington series, and just plain fun.
I've only read the first book in the Prince Roger series and enjoyed it. I'll have to take a look at the rest.

Re: RCN. I do get a bit tired of Adele Mundy (she can be such an upper-class twit. The books are supposed to be inspired by the Aubrey/Maturin books, but Adele ain't no Stephen Maturin), but overall I really like the series. #9 is waiting on my Kindle.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #21
wellreadfred
wellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvHorses View Post
What are your favorite books in a series.

Gor
Sanctuary: An Epic Novel of Thieves' World
Dune
The Dresden Files
Aubrey/Maturin Novels - I'm on book 6 so far of this series and finding it a fantastic series so far

@KyleSnyder thanks for these The Samurai Trilogy by David Walters just added them to my kindle TBR.

peace & happy reading,

wellreadfred
wellreadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
Lawrence Block's Keller books. He's writing #5 I guess you can count that as a series right?
I do like Block's Matthew Scudder books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #23
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Conrad Richter's Awakening Land trilogy is my absolute favorite. Like so many other Pulitzer prize winners, still no eBook.

Next comes Anthony Trollope's six Barsetshire novels. Free on MobileRead.

Perhaps more along the lines popular here: Jo Walton's Farthing/Ha'penny/Half a Crown.

I never miss Archer Mayor's annual addition to the Joe Gunther detective series.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:57 AM   #24
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Harry Potter by J K Rowling

Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy

The Bartimaeus Sequence by Jonathan Stroud

The Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters

The d'Artagnan Romances (The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After and Ten Years Later) by Alexandre Dumas - my absolute childhood favourite

Lots of others I've enjoyed, but the abovementioned are the ones I've either re-read (some more than once) or can easily see myself re-reading in the future.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #25
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
[QUOTE=Yapyap;2163629]

The d'Artagnan Romances (The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After and Ten Years Later) by Alexandre Dumas - my absolute childhood favourite

QUOTE]

The The Khaavren Romances (Steven Brust's Science Fiction/Fantasy take on the Three Musketeers)
1.The Phoenix Guards
2.Five Hundred Years After
3.The Viscount of Adrilankha, published in three volumes:
1.The Paths of the Dead
2.The Lord of Castle Black
3.Sethra Lavode
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #26
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
A Song of Ice & Fire by George R. R. Martin
The Company series by Kage Baker
Alex Benedict series by Jack McDevitt
Discworld by Terry Pratchett
The Merchant Princes by Charles Stross
Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon

And if trilogies count:
The Neanderthal Parallax by Robert J. Sawyer
The WWW trilogy by Robert J. Sawyer
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #27
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The The Khaavren Romances (Steven Brust's Science Fiction/Fantasy take on the Three Musketeers)
1.The Phoenix Guards
2.Five Hundred Years After
3.The Viscount of Adrilankha, published in three volumes:
1.The Paths of the Dead
2.The Lord of Castle Black
3.Sethra Lavode
Brilliant books. I re-read them regularly. Also Brust's books about Vlad Taltos are very good.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #28
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Brilliant books. I re-read them regularly. Also Brust's books about Vlad Taltos are very good.
I agree. I have read both series numerous times. I am hoping he will write more on Khaavren. The last Vlad book had Khaavren in it too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #29
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Honor Harrington Series (and spinoffs) - David Weber

Star Wars books - various authors (although the last two series have been weak)

Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I loved the Legacy of Gird/Sheepfarmers daughter by Elizabeth Moon.

The Riftwar saga by Raymond Feist is a favorite and the 2 companion books "Servant of the Empire/Mistress of the Empire"

The Bones series by Kathy Reichs is good.

We love the "Eyre Affair"/ "Lost in a good book" series by Jasper Fford. Almost makes you want to read classic literature to learn the back story of the literature characters that show up.

The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovitch has kept us amused on long car rides (the audiobook versions of course).

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child have a series of books featuring "Agent Pendergast" that are fun.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote